• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Power Adapter Buzz?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
As some of you know, I recently purchased a new HP lap top.
Is it normal for the block to make a slight humming sound and to feel warm?
Just noticed this today.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
As some of you know, I recently purchased a new HP lap top.
Is it normal for the block to make a slight humming sound and to feel warm?
Just noticed this today.

Our Acer laptop PS will get a little warm but I have not noticed a buzzing noise, but I am deafer then a Haddock. :biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Our Acer laptop PS will get a little warm but I have not noticed a buzzing noise, but I am deafer then a Haddock. :biggrin:

Thanks, Butch.
So far, I've been using a power strip to charge it.
Just looked at some PC advice links.
One says it's normal, the other says to try a different outlet.

The buzzing lasted something like 10 seconds even after I unplugged it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not an electrician but buzzing after unplugged does not seem right to me. Is there still time for an exchange?
Buzzing while plugged in does no seem right either. Does switching to another location change the 'buzz'? Unplugging other things plugged into the power strip also might help ...but it does not sound normal from my experience.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Not an electrician but buzzing after unplugged does not seem right to me. Is there still time for an exchange?
Buzzing while plugged in does no seem right either. Does switching to another location change the 'buzz'? Unplugging other things plugged into the power strip also might help ...but it does not sound normal from my experience.

I'll more than likely buy another one Doc, just to be on the safe side.
They're only like $20.

Just found this bit of advice.

The buzzing noise that you are hearing is normal to that point that you should be able to hear it when the brick is next to your ear. If you are about a foot away from the ac adapter and you can still hear it then it is nearing end of life or already faulty.

Without a load on the device the hum should lessen due to circuits that reduce power output that allow the ac adapter to "idle" while waiting to be plugged in and will also allow the brick to cool down. Once plugged in the output circuit is activated and the louder hum will return as well as the ac adapter becoming warm up again.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll more than likely buy another one Doc, just to be on the safe side.
They're only like $20.

Just found this bit of advice.

The buzzing noise that you are hearing is normal to that point that you should be able to hear it when the brick is next to your ear. If you are about a foot away from the ac adapter and you can still hear it then it is nearing end of life or already faulty.

Without a load on the device the hum should lessen due to circuits that reduce power output that allow the ac adapter to "idle" while waiting to be plugged in and will also allow the brick to cool down. Once plugged in the output circuit is activated and the louder hum will return as well as the ac adapter becoming warm up again.

If it were me, I'd make a call to Acer. More than likely they will send you a replacement. They may want the old one back. They may not.

My charger gets warm. It doesn't buzz. Buzzing is an indication of an arc somewhere. Not good.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Almost all transformers buzz or hum which AFAIK is what's inside the block. We've had a couple of laptops and I've never heard the block buzz. The buzz after unplugging from AC power does concern me though.
Mike

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
If it were me, I'd make a call to Acer. More than likely they will send you a replacement. They may want the old one back. They may not.

My charger gets warm. It doesn't buzz. Buzzing is an indication of an arc somewhere. Not good.

It's a Hewlett Packard, not that that matters, right?
I'll take it back ASAP and get another one.
Still got the receipt too.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It's a Hewlett Packard, not that that matters, right?
I'll take it back ASAP and get another one.
Still got the receipt too.

Warm is normal. No power conversion is 100% efficient. The power is lost as heat.

A small amount of hum or buzz is possibile. Theres a circuit inside that chops the ac signal to pulsating dc at a 120 cycle rate. Sometimes that causes noise. Buzzing after its unplugged is a problem.

Glad you're returning it.

Jim

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
So, shortly after I got home tonight- I plugged it back in to charge, only this time out in the kitchen in an outlet where the toaster and coffee machine are normally used.
Charged up to 3 hrs 16 minutes @ 74%.

Unplugged it and held it to my ear (the good one) and didn't hear the buzz.
It was a little warm, but not like before.

I'll still return it for a new one... can't be too careful.

Thanks guys!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So, shortly after I got home tonight- I plugged it back in to charge, only this time out in the kitchen in an outlet where the toaster and coffee machine are normally used.
Charged up to 3 hrs 16 minutes @ 74%.

Unplugged it and held it to my ear (the good one) and didn't hear the buzz.
It was a little warm, but not like before.

I'll still return it for a new one... can't be too careful.

Thanks guys!

If you do need to buy one superpowersupplycom on ebay has done a good job for me several times. HP and Sony supplies all in the $20 range.