• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Laptop Won't Boot

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I hope somebody techie is on here now.
About 14 minutes ago I got out the ACER laptop that I had been using earlier today.
It's the one that is stuck double boot to either Ubuntu or Windows. Other than that glitch; which I really don't mind (since I like Ubuntu) I prefer it over the new(er) Lenovo. I just went to turn it on and all I am seeing is the "Welcome" screen on the blue background that says "Windows 7 Home Premium.
Now more time has passed and that's all I see.
After a few minutes of that after I turned it on I plugged it in thinking that I may have turned it off with low battery.

That's all I'm getting any suggestions?
I'm about ready to just do a hard boot, even if I have to unplug it and pull out the battery to shut if off.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
O.K. after about 45 minutes all this writing came across the screen ending in saying:
"Crash Dump" then the screen I usually get when I first boot up. Various kinds of Ubuntu or a choice of Windows 7, I chose Win. 7 and immediately regretted that.
Ever since I incorrectly installed Ubuntu it defaults to that.

Yes I know you think I totally screwed this s up with Ubuntu install but it's been working O.K that way for quite awhile. Other than the glaring screen which no longer seems to bother me.

Now as I write this I get "starting windows display"

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
After more time I got more stuff on the screen ending in "no bootable disk" Insert disk and press any key. I have no windows disk, I have an Ubuntu disk. Did that thought it would start but nothing now I think that meant Hard Drive Disk. Now it's a lovely shade of purple. Think it's fried.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Now I got a white dot last post for now I will let you know what eventually happens .

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
With my old laptop when I start having problems like that I unplug it and then take the battery out for a couple of minutes, that usually works.

you have to put the battery back in though.....LOL!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No advice here.
Only time I ever used a laptop was in the interim (hated it) between my last HP desktop and my current running just fine on Windows Vista.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks I think I will give it a few more minutes then I will try that. I'm getting sick and tired of waiting. I just don't want to be stuck with this one speakers are bad and I hate WIN 10
Guess I could use the old (barely running) desktop that runs on Lubuntu

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I took out the Battery & the Ubuntu disk and am going to try a few things (while I wait) so I might just as well do some posting with this laptop. I will probably take out the battery again just to make sure it is completely shut down and go to bed soon.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
A friend of mine came by. He works on computers and we made a trade; if he could get that Lenovo (the one I spilled water on) he could keep the ACER.
He got the worst part of the deal. The Lenovo needed a new hard drive which he easily fixed but the ACER needs a mother board. Well he likes to tinker.