• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacement cell phone

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That was fast. I won the ebay auction two days ago. The phone arrived today. Its alright. I prefer the screen on the Samsung. Not a mark on it. Like new. I will say that the display at first had a milky pastel feel to it. Took some messing around but I found an app that fixed the color issue. Its gonna take a bit to get used to it. All I've had for the past 6 yrs was samsung.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That was fast. I won the ebay auction two days ago. The phone arrived today. Its alright. I prefer the screen on the Samsung. Not a mark on it. Like new. I will say that the display at first had a milky pastel feel to it. Took some messing around but I found an app that fixed the color issue. Its gonna take a bit to get used to it. All I've had for the past 6 yrs was samsung.

I've always had good luck with LG products. I love Samsung products as well, but I was not one of those poor blokes who bought a Note 7. :yum:

My first Samsung product was a Samsung VCR years ago back when they were considered a lower end company. It was the best VCR I owned, worked great.

Still got my S6 and will have it for some time. I love the S Health app for monitoring weight and BP. The GPS walking feature is great too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thats one app i enjoyed with the samsung. The s health feature. LG has their own version but not as good in my opinion. I spent the morning messing with the settings to get a display thats endurable. Oh. And I was using s health to track my steps and sleep to give me a pattern of how I've been feeling to show the doctor and physio etc. It's nice that I was able to download it on this one and continue on with it.

I will say that the graphics on this phone are crisp and sharp but dull appearing. And there's very little room for adjustment. Someone at LG must like dull pastel colors.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thats one app i enjoyed with the samsung. The s health feature. LG has their own version but not as good in my opinion. I spent the morning messing with the settings to get a display thats endurable. Oh. And I was using s health to track my steps and sleep to give me a pattern of how I've been feeling to show the doctor and physio etc. It's nice that I was able to download it on this one and continue on with it.

I will say that the graphics on this phone are crisp and sharp but dull appearing. And there's very little room for adjustment. Someone at LG must like dull pastel colors.

Yeah, I love the display on the S6. The best I have ever seen on a phone. Best I have ever had. The camera and videos are awesome looking. How is the camera on the LG?

The other think that keeps me close to the Samsung is the app for my hearing aids only works with Apple and Samsung phones. I find that odd but thats the way it is. The play store will not permit downloads to any other phones or tables. I think I would be able to download it as an .apk file to a non Samsung phone but not sure if it would work. Must be some sort of pay off agreement between the two. Gonna have to check that out some day with a friends Nexus phone.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Its got a 13 mp camera with auto focus. I haven't been anywhere to take pictures with it yet. I'll try later this evening with some outside pictures at the church when i go for practice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't get any pictures tonight to try the camera. So this LG phone is starting to grow on me. Its still an Android running 6.0. But LG put their own spin on it with a slightly different appearance. There are no side buttons of any kind. No home button either. To shut the screen off simply double tap it from the home screen. To wake it up double tap again. It's fast and smooth. Playing video the picture is a lot sharper than either of my samsung phones. Its still android but its like a samsung hooked up with an iphone and had a kid. Best of both worlds.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just trying out the camera. First shot is zoomed out.

f5b144c49e350ab8d232dc5ddada3be7.jpg

Then zoomed in.
df3c341729c9a321e2ee3a914b2a068b.jpg

After you take the picture you can choose which color hue you want in order to accent the colors.
ab3a2d1bd7d579b708d4e4c57801c551.jpg

The zoom was one thing that sucked with my old s5. Everything would be blurry. Not with the LG

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm starting to like this phone more than the galaxy s5. At first my thought was that thr picture was crisp and clear but dull and pastel. I have since downloaded the android nougat 7.1 browser app and all the colors are now crystal clear and as they should be. Here's an example of the homescreen on nougat 7.1
b5015dad3c1ff9f5a670ae283b43de50.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I decided to upgrade the lg g3. It's a good phone and all. But the battery life was starting to be an issue. 3 hrs and the battery was half dead. And it has been freezing up and acting funny. Rather than risk it dying on me completely I decided to upgrade again. It was a toss up between a galaxy s7 edge plus, an lg v10, galaxy note 5 or similar. I decided on a new galaxy A5. It's basically the same as the s7 but with new features such as water resistant. I got a good deal on it. $200 American for a new phone. It was basically a store return because someone got it then decided they wanted something different.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Follow up to that.....the micro sd card slot is also acting up. Throughout the day I'll get messages appearing on the phone that say the microsd card has been ejected. Or that it may need to be formatted in order to be used. All signs point to a faulty sd card slot as I did try another card and got the same message. So this phone, while a good phone, is on it's way out.

I debated internally for weeks on wether to get a 5.5" or bigger screen or something around the 5" mark when getting the new one. The lg g3 is a 5.5" and is nice when sitting and using two hands but is a little ackward single handed. I had set my mind on a galaxy s7 edge plus. But couldn't find a good one for a decent price used. And, I have had experience with an edge screen when I had a galaxy note edge for a short time and wasn't a fan of it. The galaxy a5 I ordered has a 5.2" display. So that should be a good compromise.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I finally got to the border last weekend to pick up the new phone. It's fast. Battery life is so far excellent. It was at 95% last night before bed. No charger on since then. Now it's at 87%. I'm actually liking the smaller screen. It's easier to type one handed.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Fast forward to 2019. The galaxy a5 is probably the best phone i've had. It's never given me any problems.

That being said, the dreaded battery issue Samsung's experienced with the s7 happen to me a couple weeks ago. My phone was sitting at 75% charge in my pocket when I felt my leg getting hot. I pulled the phone out and felt it. It was almost to the point of melting plastic hot. Then the battery drained to 0% within minutes. I let it cool then tried plugging it in. I was able to recharge it and power back up. With that being said, I didn't want to risk it happening again and going into full self destruct mode. So I have been very careful with it avoiding prolonged use and keeping the screen dimmed.

Because I don't want to risk it happening again, I opted for the new phone choice again. I could have gone into the service provider's store and just signed a 2 year contract at $80 per month for 6gb data plan and get a new phone. But years ago I locked myself in to the same plan but at a student rate of $50 per month. As long as I didn't renew the contract I could stay on it indefinitely. So that means buying which ever phone I want unlocked so it'll work on my network.

With the issue of the dreaded exploding battery looming in the near future, I started my research on a new phone again. This time, the Samsung Galaxy s9+ won out. It's in the mail now.

Canadian eh!!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had this J7 for not yet 2 years now.
I keep it clean and cooled down with Clean Master.
The app really does everything you'd expect.
Screenshot_20190707-105331_Clean Master.jpg