• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacement cell phone

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That phone was just listed in the classifieds ten minutes before I responded. Had to jump on a deal like that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
My daughter carries a little power supply that connects to her phone for extended run times. It's about the size of a short cigar. Might be an option.

I have some of these kicking around never been used (from a promotion at my wifes work) if anyone wants one just say and i will happily post one....think i have 4 in total.

Could be ideal for you remote type folk.

Attachments

• 0e281f25-8491-4006-af65-41a90013d97a.jpg
    0e281f25-8491-4006-af65-41a90013d97a.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 220

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Been a couple weeks with the galaxy s5. I'm loving it compared with the s3. Very happy with the battery life. The s3 would only last 4-5 hours from a full charge. I can get at least a day and a half with this phone. It's smooth and quick. I like that I can wirelessly connect to my smart TV from YouTube.

During the day when the kids are at school and the wife is at work I'll often look up a video of the phone then connect with the TV and crank the surround sound so I can play along on the guitar. Another thing I've been using the phone for is to record myself playing music. This comes in handy when a song we do has two guitars playing different chords in different keys at the same time. It allows me to play one variation while recording it then play back and play the second part on guitar while playing back the recorded part on the phone.

So it's a handy tool.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
blake has 1. he generally won't bring his, & thus uses my chargers. then bitches when they get too sluggish_-

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I just got a an s5 off ebay for my kid I'm into it for a couple of hundred bucks with an otter box the wife and kids are hard on cell phones mine all last till the battery dies. as for the s-6 my next one will be an s-5 the battery is too small for the processor in the s-6 and you almost have to walk around tethered to the charger.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't regret the s5 one bit. It's a great phone. Very fast and reliable and holds a charge all day unlike the s3. And considering I'm off work now and often waiting to go to appointments and such I've been spending quite a bit of time browsing around on it while waiting for appointments. So it's not just sitting idle but rather it's often either browsing facebook, the forum, or browsing the net throughout the day and no noticeable battery drain. I don't bother to charge it at night since it only drops about 10% battery life in 7 hrs while I'm sleeping. Then I'll generally plug in for less then an hour in the morning and it's fully charged.

I try to use as many of the features I can on the phone to make my life easier. It's my daily planner. I use the calendar to keep track of all my appointments and have it synced with both the tablet and laptop at home so I can look on any device I'm on to see when my next appointments are. I use it for light browsing on the net, browsing facebook, checking out the forum etc. I like the fitness app on it that tracks how active I am throughout the day. I can go back and kind of tell how I was feeling on any particular day judging by the amount of activity I did.

I also use it for online shopping when I'm out and about looking for items locally then I'll search for it online to get a price comparison. Oh, and of course the texting and calling is standard. Another cool feature is the built in flashlight which comes in handy. Oh, and I've also downloaded a digital guitar tuner that's very accurate. I use this all the time before playing.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Rather than start a new thread I figured I would just put this here. My wife's contract was up on her phone so she could upgrade to a new one. We went down to our providers store to take a look at what they had to offer. She didn't even bother looking at the iPhone as it seems every month they are trying to one up their own product and come up with a new version. We also didn't want to pay up front for something just because it's the newest. So that narrowed it down to the s5 or they also had the LG g4. Turns out the LG is a sweet phone with a larger display than the s5. It also has 32gb of memory expandable to 64. The s5 only has 16 standard. So she got the LG. I'm almost jealous now. Lol. I messed with it a bit and like it more than the s5

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our contracts also expired. Instead of getting the new, "free" phone, we get $25 off the bill for each phone we don't replace. With the 4 of us, that's $100 off our cell phone bill every month.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our contracts also expired. Instead of getting the new, "free" phone, we get $25 off the bill for each phone we don't replace. With the 4 of us, that's $100 off our cell phone bill every month.
Sadly none of the providers up here have bonuses like that.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I love my galaxy s-6 performance wise I hate the dinky battery if I were to get another I might seriously consider a new s-7 they have a 3200 amp hour battery that should allow it to run a couple of days

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I had a little scare with the s5 that started about a month ago when I was at the gym. First, the incident. I was at the gym and had my phone in my locker. When I opened the locker door out slid the phone from about 5ft up landing on the cement floor. I keep it in an otterbox commuter with a tempered glass screen protector. As I picked it up I feared the worst. Sure enough there was a single Crack running side to side on the screen.

I set out to get local prices to have the screen replaced. For $250. I figured I'd try it myself. Can't be that hard to change the screen. So I ordered a replacement on ebay. The first one came in damaged. So I contacted the seller to replace it. The replacement came in today. I also ordered a new tempered glass to go over the new screen.

I set out this afternoon to replace the screen. First, I removed the tempered glass on the old screen. I was pleasantly surprised to find that only the tempered glass had cracked. So I cleaned the old screen and installed the new tempered glass. All good. So now I have a spare screen sitting in a box in case it should ever Crack.

jwstewar

How did you get the phone apart? I thought the Samsungs were glued together and were difficult to get apart. I've done iPhones, but not a Sammy and my wife's S6 needs the glass replaced right now.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Don, how much do they charge for a set of wheels for the battery? :whistling:

Reason I ask is the 700 amp hour 2 volt cells we used to use checked in around 100 pounds each!
I see the typo that kind of battery would run it a year its milliamp hour
your right I would need a hand truck to carry it around.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
How did you get the phone apart? I thought the Samsungs were glued together and were difficult to get apart. I've done iPhones, but not a Sammy and my wife's S6 needs the glass replaced right now.
All the online instructions I could find said to use a heat gun to loosen the glue. Thankfully I didn't have to get that far into it. I'm really surprised that only the tempered glass screen protector cracked.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Bump.

While I love the Samsung s5 for its speed and operation, I've been looking at upgrading for two reasons. First, I'm on my phone allot now so a bigger screen would be nice to watch videos play games etc. Secondly, my s5 is only a 16gb storage. I have a micro SD card and basically everything that I can store to it is going there.

With that said I keep getting warnings that my internal memory is almost full. I've cleaned up all the pictures and music and transferred to the SD card. Same thing with all the apps. So I'm at the point of doing a factory reset. If I'm doing that anyway I might as well get something with a bigger screen and more internal memory. My two top candidates for the replacement are the LG g4 with 32gb of memory and a 5.5inch screen or the Asus zenphone 3 with 64gb of storage and a 5.7inch screen. I'm also looking at the galaxy note 4.

living the dream

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to say, your question is paramount to asking what is the best beer. You will most likely get about 20 replies and 20 different phones along with three different mobile operating systems.

I have an Android smart phone that was free 2 1/2 years ago with a two year agreement. The agreement is up so I get a $15/month discount, so that is why I keep the phone which is working good enough for me.

My favorite? As you could not tell, whatever is cheap. :biggrin:

If you want Android, look for a nice used HTC Droid DNA phone. That is what I have and it is still running good. 5" HD screen is great, along with quad core processor. Should be had on FleaBay for under $100 bucks by now. Good luck.

I'm with you on the cheap. Whatever is the cheapest is the bestest.

I just renewed. The deal of the day was the free tablet. With a separate telephone number. The only free phone was a flip phone, which works for me. I use a phone only as a phone and formerly as a mobile hot spot.

The combination costs $10 less/month than my old plan and works better for me.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm still hooked on the same plan I've been on for about 7 years with the same service provider. I could opt out at any time but this deal was so good they ended up cancelling the plan but allowed people who were on it already to stay on it. They do have a similar plan now but it's $30 more a month. So that means that if I want the free phone I have to sign a new contract. Otherwise I stay on this cheaper plan and just buy my phone outright. I could spend upwards of $700 for the latest and greatest through them or I could spend around $200 for basically last year's model.

As long as the phone is unlocked or with my carrier already I'm free to choose whichever one I want. My wife has the LG g4 and hasn't had any problems with it. And since I have bigger hands and use my phone for everything from being a phone camera mp3 player Web browser etc, I may as well get something a little bigger. I have a tablet, 2 in 1 mini laptop, and a full size laptop. They basically all sit there never being used since it's easier to just grab my phone to browse.

living the dream

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out ebay. Quite a few sellers who have sold thousands with positive ratings selling unlocked phones at a discount.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been looking there as well. Problem with eBay right now is the exchange rate sucks. There are some nice factory reburbished LG g4 phones on there for 167 us. That equates to roughly $225 Canadian. I'm waiting for a local kijiji ad to respond back on one for 200 Canadian. Some things are good deals on ebay but others not so much. I just picked up a windows based Asus 2 in 1 tablet for 80 Canadian that retails for over 400 up here in stores. Anything under 100 on ebay is either a cheap Chinese knock off or has problems

living the dream

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I'm sorry I got rid of my flip phone and went to a smart phone. Even though it is a Jitterbug and the cost was reasonable for the phone I have had problems with it.

The first one I had was the bill, I didn't know that all the apps that were on it used up megabytes, even if you didn't use them. My first bill was way out of line. I called them up and they told me that with a smart phone you needed to have the megabytes in order for the phone to work. They now give me 40 MG for free and I turned off all the apps.

Then, for whatever reason the ringer shuts itself off all the time. I miss a lot of phone calls and will see people leave me messages. I keep screwing around with it and get the ringer back working and a couple of days later the same thing. I hate phones today. Give me back my landline at a reasonable cost and I'll use my candlestick phone, period.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. Phones can be confusing if you aren't familiar with them.

Just curious on an observation. If iphones are so good why is every second phone for sale in the local classifieds an iPhone. Their software is still basically the same thing between the first iPhone and the latest and greatest. I have absolutely no desire to switch to iPhone since I have no wish to be married to an iTunes account. My kids both have the latest ipod and every time I turn around they are having to buy iTunes gift cards so they can upload different apps

living the dream

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes. Phones can be confusing if you aren't familiar with them.

Just curious on an observation. If iphones are so good why is every second phone for sale in the local classifieds an iPhone. Their software is still basically the same thing between the first iPhone and the latest and greatest. I have absolutely no desire to switch to iPhone since I have no wish to be married to an iTunes account. My kids both have the latest ipod and every time I turn around they are having to buy iTunes gift cards so they can upload different apps

living the dream

Apple doesn't give a damn if they have you. They have your kids, that's much better. :biggrin:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm sorry I got rid of my flip phone and went to a smart phone. Even though it is a Jitterbug and the cost was reasonable for the phone I have had problems with it.

The first one I had was the bill, I didn't know that all the apps that were on it used up megabytes, even if you didn't use them. My first bill was way out of line. I called them up and they told me that with a smart phone you needed to have the megabytes in order for the phone to work. They now give me 40 MG for free and I turned off all the apps.

Then, for whatever reason the ringer shuts itself off all the time. I miss a lot of phone calls and will see people leave me messages. I keep screwing around with it and get the ringer back working and a couple of days later the same thing. I hate phones today. Give me back my landline at a reasonable cost and I'll use my candlestick phone, period.

TracPhone just started new plans for smartphones. You can get a plan for as little as 15 bucks a month. Flip phone plans for around 7 bucks. Just can't beat TracPhones for saving money. I have been with them for almost a year now.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been doing a lot of home work this week on which phone to get. So far it's a toss up between the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the LG g4.

Why these two? Baseline of 32gb internal memory. Removable battery. Memory card slot allowing me to expand. Both have a great display. I want the larger display since I have bigger hands and lately I've been mainly using my cell for browsing. The LG has a 5.5 display while the note 4 has a 5.7. Right now the deciding factor is do I want the bigger display and have a stylus or do I opt for the smaller display no stylus but better forward facing camera. Thoughts?

living the dream

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note edge. Someone local has a used one for sale. Comes with 5 cases. In good shape. Unlocked. No cracks on the screen. Seems very comparable to the LG g4 in specs

living the dream

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I opted for the Samsung Galaxy Note edge. It's very comparable to the s5 but with a bigger screen and a funky navigation bar on the side for all the apps. Caution to anyone who is considering an edge phone. You better have damned good eyesight to see stuff if you choose to put it in a folder on the side bar. Verdict is still out on the sidebar.

I had been looking at the LG g4 seriously and was minutes away from pulling the trigger on one on ebay when I found this one locally. The s5 is already sold. Here's the kicker. I sold it for more than I paid for the note edge. It's nice to have a backup phone to just insert the simcard and go so I still have the old s3 in a drawer for that purpose. It got put into action while I reset the s5 before getting the edge. I hadn't charged it in over a year. Fired right up after a quick 10 minute charge.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a quick update. If anyone is looking for a quick smooth cell phone, I'd recommend any of the galaxy note phones. I'm loving mine so far. The stylus pen is proving handy. I use Google calendar to keep track of all my appointments. And there are many. Using the stylus I can easily navigate the calendar and input all my appointments in half the time. I'm happy with it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a quick update. If anyone is looking for a quick smooth cell phone, I'd recommend any of the galaxy note phones. I'm loving mine so far. The stylus pen is proving handy. I use Google calendar to keep track of all my appointments. And there are many. Using the stylus I can easily navigate the calendar and input all my appointments in half the time. I'm happy with it.

Ok. I still basically love this phone however it's already on borrowed time. Starting about mid last week I can no longer send pictures via text. I can still receive them however. Here's the things I've tried so far.....
1. The classic power off remove simcard wait then reinstall and power on.
2. Brought it in to verify all my settings are correct.
3. Did all of the trouble shooting with online tech support.
4. Installed a new simcard to see if it's a network issue.
5. Did 3 separate factory resets.
6. Tried an older version of Android.
7. Upgraded to the newest version of Android 7.0
8. Contacted samsung directly to get support. They basically said do everything I listed above.

Anything else I should try? It's really annoying to have to use Facebook messenger to send pictures right now. As I said I love everything else about the phone but I'm about to list it for sale and pick up an lg g4 or htc one m9. Heck I may even go back to a newer version of the s5 with more memory.

I use my phone for everything. I have the old dell laptop and my new Asus 2 in 1 sitting right beside me but haven't looked at either in over a week. So I need the storage space and a memory card option to expand the memory. At least I can still share photos here.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here we are into the new year and I still can't send pictures via regular messenger. I've tried installing the simcard in my old phone and it works fine. I've taken my wife's simcard and inserted it into my phone and it sends. So the phone is not liking my simcard. I put it for sale and nearly had it traded for a 2 month old lg g5. Sadly he couldn't get it unlocked.

I just won an eBay auction for an lg g3 for cheap. Should be here next week.