• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Replacement cell phone

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Which cell phones are the best? My samsung s3 is using up the battery life like crazy. So I'm in the market for a newer phone. I looked into signing a new contract since mine is expired. I found that the one I had is no longer offered since it was a killer deal at the time. (6gb of download per month for $50) Now, I'd have to pay $75 a month for 3gb of download. I have the option of staying on the plan I'm on right now but in order to upgrade the phone I'd have to buy it outright. I'm looking into which phone to go with. (preferably something used on the local classifieds) Looking at our classifieds, there are an awful lot of iphones for sale vs anything else. I'm not a fan of iphone. I prefer android. Which phone should I be looking for?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have to say, your question is paramount to asking what is the best beer. You will most likely get about 20 replies and 20 different phones along with three different mobile operating systems.

I have an Android smart phone that was free 2 1/2 years ago with a two year agreement. The agreement is up so I get a $15/month discount, so that is why I keep the phone which is working good enough for me.

My favorite? As you could not tell, whatever is cheap. :biggrin:

If you want Android, look for a nice used HTC Droid DNA phone. That is what I have and it is still running good. 5" HD screen is great, along with quad core processor. Should be had on FleaBay for under $100 bucks by now. Good luck.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple's iPhone 5s is the best phone I've ever used. Had several various Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, etc phones. Hands down the best phone is my current phone. Contract expired many months ago, no plans to 'upgrade' and give up this phone.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Apple's iPhone 5s is the best phone I've ever used. Had several various Motorola, Nokia, Blackberry, etc phones. Hands down the best phone is my current phone. Contract expired many months ago, no plans to 'upgrade' and give up this phone.

Could you expound as to the fraud that you like about the phone?

Thank you

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll 2nd Bob's nod to the iPhone 5s. Mine was great till I forgot it was in my pocket and went swimming. Killed it. I had insurance on it and they replaced it with a bigger iPhone 6. Took a bit to get used to the bigger size but now that I have I am sold on the iPhone 6. I can read a book via Kindle easier, surf internet etc easier because of the bigger size ....my older eyes probably have some to do with that.
They also make an iPhone 6 plus ...that is not what I have. I have the smaller of the two versions of the iPhone 6 and am very happy with it.

grizzer

I played with a Samsung Note 5 a couple of Saturdays ago.

Spectacular screen pixel count blows away iPhone. Built in pointer thing acts like a tablet and comes in 5 packs when u lose it.

Uses a bullseye plate for wireless recharging.

Dual channel wifi downloads pictures in a blink

Not sure how long the battery lasts but I want one if I stay in an urban area much longer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been looking at the samsung galaxy s5. Not entirely sold on one yet. Never was a fan of anything apple related. I bought myself a used ipod a while back just to test the waters and see if I could develop a taste for that operating system. I ended up using the thing three times and the screen broke so it stayed in a drawer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The iPod might not be the best way to test the waters. It does work well in conjunction with the iPhone but as someone who just endorsed my iPhone ....I bought an iPod last year to try out. Did not care for it at all. I passed it off to my wife.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
First, let me correct an autocorrect. I meant features in the iPhone, not fraud. I am sorry about that.

I am a heavy cellphone user, but, a meat and potatoes user. I do not listen to music or watch videos, save some news videos. As a working computer field engineer (IT is what your dog is after it gets home from the vet) I use the phone for texts, emails and make and receive calls from customers. I use the browsing to find answers to problems that I am working on and most importantly, to download software to my phone and then plug it into a PC as a flash drive and copy the software there. I also keep a library of work related software there to load onto PC's. This helps in virus / spyware removal and getting machines on the network that do not have the drivers for network cards.

Battery life is paramount, I have to have at least a day and maybe two days life for this type of use.

For these reasons, I have never really clicked with an iPhone, it just can't do all of that. I do have to fix them somewhat. Mostly configure e-Mail.

This is why I was asking what features people like. I am wondering if I have missed something.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who's your carrier? I'm with Verizon and have used a Motorola Droid Maxx for a couple of years... by far the best phone I've ever had. I've never had to charge it during the day, and usually has more than 50% battery in the evening when I go to bed and put it on the charger. But this phone is a Verizon exclusive.

The best bang for your buck is coming out within a week... Motorola X Style. It will be sold by Motorola through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and will be compatible with all major carriers. Check the specs and the price. The only downside for me is the lack of wireless charging.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
more than likely, there is nothing wrong with your phone, the BATTERY is just old and won't recharge fully.

get a new battery, they are pretty cheap considering what a new phone contract will cost ya.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been looking at the samsung galaxy s5. Not entirely sold on one yet. Never was a fan of anything apple related. I bought myself a used ipod a while back just to test the waters and see if I could develop a taste for that operating system. I ended up using the thing three times and the screen broke so it stayed in a drawer.

The wife LOVES her S5. When my Nokia Windows phone goes tits up, I switching to Android\Samsung.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMHO, I'd be looking at the total package from the provider(s).

Some offer cheaper service but you need to buy at full price the phone(s).

Our 2-year contract has expired. Since we don't want new phones, they give us $25 credit per phone each month we don't renew and keep our current phones.

We have 5 phones + some tablet/hotspot thingy + 10gig to use between us and the total bill is right around $200.

k-dog

My personal phone is iPhone 6 and my work phone is a Samsung galaxy S4. There are features I like on both, but the iPhone is hands down my favorite. It just feels better and is a lot easier to use in my experience. I will say that I am not a fan of android operating system but it's a personal preference. It seems you would have to figure out which operating system you like better and go from there.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Who's your carrier? I'm with Verizon and have used a Motorola Droid Maxx for a couple of years... by far the best phone I've ever had. I've never had to charge it during the day, and usually has more than 50% battery in the evening when I go to bed and put it on the charger. But this phone is a Verizon exclusive.

The best bang for your buck is coming out within a week... Motorola X Style. It will be sold by Motorola through Best Buy, Amazon, etc. and will be compatible with all major carriers. Check the specs and the price. The only downside for me is the lack of wireless charging.

I have the same phone and carrier that you do. It does everything I need.

Andy

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have a galaxy s-6 i love the phone ,but hate the battery life. it needs twice the battery to keep up with the company i- phone 6 ,what i hate about the i- phone is their audio output sucks in a noisy environment. I'm thinking about taking the new s-6 back as i cant get over 12 hours of stand by time on it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I like the operating system on the galaxy s3 but the battery life leaves something to be desired. A cell phone battery should last more than 6 hours. Mine doesn't. I've had it a year and half and it's on it's second battery already. I like the fact that it has the memory card for extra storage.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
well my phone is old enough that the phone company says it won't be compatable much longer:unsure: one day soon I will be in your shoes.......but for now Im keeping what I got.......

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter carries a little power supply that connects to her phone for extended run times. It's about the size of a short cigar. Might be an option.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been researching online as to the difference between the android systems on the s3 vs the s5/6. There aren't a whole lot of differences that I can see. Speed seems to be about the same as well. So I opted for another new battery on my s3. This time I managed to find a more powerful one. The s3 comes stock with a 2100 mAh battery. I found a 2900 mAh battery online which I ordered. I figured I'd give that a chance before deciding on a new phone.
I can say I do like the look of the s5 active.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221777184739

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of battery life and general use of your smart phone, here are a few tips I ran into. Some are minor BS, but there is an interesting one about charging and draining your battery.

Tips for taking care of your iPhone or any smart phone.

If you're anything like us, your smartphone is your precious baby. Unfortunately, you probably don't treat it as well as you should. Here are some things you might be doing wrong:

1. Never turning it off

You really should be turning your phone off at least once a week, or your battery will die faster than it should. Leaving it on and idle stresses the battery, experts say. If you, like us, use your phone as your alarm clock, consider picking up a cheap (or fancy -- why not?) alarm clock, or turning it off for another period of time during the day.

2. Leaving the WiFi and Bluetooth on all the time

When your iPhone has WiFi and Bluetooth enabled and isn't using one or both, it's just wasting energy. As you wander around in your daily life, you're not likely to need or want WiFi or Bluetooth all the time. Better to leave both off and just turn them on when you need them.

3. Using it outside in extreme weather

Your iPhone isn't meant to withstand super hot or super cold temperatures, and using it outside on a day that's under 32 degrees or above 95 degrees Fahrenheit isn't recommended. This could drain the battery or cause your device to shut down temporarily. If you know you'll be out in extreme weather, try keeping your iPhone off or at least in your pocket, away from the elements.

4. Leaving it plugged in overnight

Letting your iPhone charge while you sleep might be convenient, but some say it's not a good idea. There has been much debate regarding the issue, but many argue that keeping your iPhone plugged in after it's already fully charged can damage your battery over time, and it could start dying more quickly. "Your battery will behave the best if you take it off the charge before it hits 100 percent, and leaving it plugged when it's already full is going to cause a little degradation," Gizmodo wrote last year. Try charging it during the day so you can unplug it once it's fully charged, or using an outlet that shuts off via a timer.

5. Fully charging or fully draining the battery

Lithium-ion batteries -- which are used in iPhones -- work best when powered between 50 and 80 percent, Shane Broesky, founder of Farbe Technik, a company that makes charging accessories, told Digital Trends. Fully discharging your battery, on the other hand, could also allow your battery to fall into a "deep discharge state," which makes the ions incapable of holding a charge, Apple noted. Topping up your battery in short spurts give the battery's ions just enough energy to work continuously and protect your battery life, he added. In other words, think about charging your phone the way you do about eating and snacking throughout the day.

6. Using a non-Apple charger

Apple chargers might be expensive, but they're worth the investment. Using off-brand chargers can do damage to your phone, and fake chargers have been reported to cause fires and explosions. Apple has even created a USB Power Adapter Takeback Program, in which it asks people to hand over counterfeit chargers, and, as of last August, offered people who brought in their non-Apple chargers a discount on a real Apple charger.

7. Not cleaning it

Your iPhone is disgusting. Like, really disgusting. Toilet seats and pet food dishes contain fewer germs per square inch than your iPhone. Apple recommends that you use "a soft, lint-free cloth" to clean your device. There are also products that claim to use UV lights to sanitize your phone. But don't forget to clean your phone's charging port! Debris from pockets and purses can get stuck in there and build up over time, which may cause connection problems when you plug something into that port. Use a toothpick, small needle or even the back of an earring to scrape all that grossness out.

8. Walking around absentmindedly while holding it

Whether or not you realize it, iPhones are a hot commodity on the black market and are a huge target for thieves. Around 40 percent of the robberies in major cities in 2013 involved mobile devices, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission reported last year -- so it's actually pretty dangerous to walk around carelessly with your iPhone out.

9. Not protecting yourself with a passcode

Half of iPhone users do not lock their phones, Apple reported in 2013. If you don't have a passcode on your iPhone and it's stolen, your identity and personal information are completely open and available for the thief to grab. It's a simple way to protect your privacy.

10. Allowing location services on all your apps, all the time

Apps like Uber and Maps need access to your "location services" to work properly, and they'll tell you when they need you to turn on that feature. Others can function just fine with location services turned off. Head over to Settings > Privacy > Location Services to deactivate the feature or simply switch it off for all your non-essential apps. Your battery will thank you.

11. Enabling push notifications on every single app

Push notifications effectively keep your phone on high alert and require a constant data connection, which can exhaust your battery. Your display also lights up every time your phone receives a notification, guzzling up more battery life. Researchers have even found that notifications can destroy your focus. Go to Settings > Notifications and select only the important apps.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Another tip would be to make sure you have the most up-to-date software version. I decided to check mine and found it was out of date. I did the upgrade and now have much better battery life. I had 24% battery this morning when I got up. Charged it to 96% in an hour. After 4 hours its only down to 75%

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I figured I'd revisit this topic since my s3 has pissed me off for the last time. I had changed the battery for the third time. It was at 50%last night. I plugged it in overnight and woke up to find it took 6 hours to fully charge. I unplugged it at 6 am. By 8:30am it was down to 26% and half the time when I plug it in it either won't charge or it starts turning on and off. I decided to look on kijiji and found an s5 for only $200 and only a couple months old. I'm going to get it in the morning.

I like some of the features it has. Apparently it's water proof.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a deal. $200 with no contract, free to go anywhere for service it a good way to be. Waterproof would be good. Waterproof and floats would be GREAT.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
About a month ago or so I sold my old phone on eBay and got a new Galaxy S6 with the Neo Hybrid case. Hated to spend the money, but what the hell, can;t take it with you I guess. This phone rocks!!! I love it and battery life is incredible. The heart rate monitor works good and I use it whenever I am out walking. Pretty cool phone all in all. :big grin: All the young folks stare at it when I am using it wondering how an old fart like me has figured out how to use a phone like that. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Loving the s5 so far. It's fast and smooth. I like the waterproof feature. This will come in handy at camp. At $700+ for a new one I didn't mind spending $200 on one only a couple months old. This way I keep my same service plan.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like a deal. $200 with no contract, free to go anywhere for service it a good way to be. Waterproof would be good. Waterproof and floats would be GREAT.
I could have had the phone unlocked but why bother since it was already with my service provider. All I did was put in my Sim card and I was good to go. Transferred all my contacts as well. Only took a few minutes to reinstall all the apps I had before.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Have I mentioned how much I love the Samsung galaxy s5? It's extremely smooth and fast compared to the s3. I can only imagine how fast the s6 is. I have all the same apps installed on this phone and it's night and day compared to the s3. Battery life is good too. I left it last night unplugged at 69% this morning it was at 64% I plugged it in at 7am and it was fully charged at 8. Haven't tried the waterproof feature yet.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Have I mentioned how much I love the Samsung galaxy s5? It's extremely smooth and fast compared to the s3. I can only imagine how fast the s6 is. I have all the same apps installed on this phone and it's night and day compared to the s3. Battery life is good too. I left it last night unplugged at 69% this morning it was at 64% I plugged it in at 7am and it was fully charged at 8. Haven't tried the waterproof feature yet.

Oh, it's fast and nice. Should be for the money it cost. Now don't get me wrong, I love it but I usually don't spend that kind of money on a phone, if you get my drift.

For what you spent on that S5, I would have gotten it too and been very happy with it. I found no deals like that.