• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what's your internet speed ??

K

kcvet

find out here:

http://www.speedtest.net/

got a new modem today from TWC that really put it on steroids

what's yours?? find out. do it at least twice to get the best numbers. mine

4402091780.png

K

kcvet

Here's what I live with.

4402172753.png

ive seen worse. but its all about the modem and ISP. also run it more than once and get the best speed. it can be and was worse

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0"]The Sound of dial-up Internet - YouTube[/ame]

:pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn. Take a pic of that modem. I have to talk to them. I'm in the sticks, and it's evening so more competition online but I got about half what you got. This is normal for me, you posted the best I've ever seen for Time Warner. Congrats.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I never understand the numbers on this speed test, even though it's been explained to me before.. :hide:
Anyhow, I'll do it now to check.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Wow. Impressive. Maybe I should move to Montana to get better high speed internet. :D

Wonder why your upload is a little slow. You got a grade of B while KCvet got an A. You kicked butt on the download speed but his upload speed was a good bit higher than yours.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never understand the numbers on this speed test, even though it's been explained to me before.. :hide:
Anyhow, I'll do it now to check.

PG, I think you are over complicating it. Download is how fast you grab data from the internet, like connect to the FF server and download the new posts. Upload is how fast you can upload a pic or post to FF's server. Ping is how fast you get an answer back if you send out a 'ping'. Ping is used to test connectivity ...don't fret about it. upload and download are what you are more interested in but FYI ..... a lower ping number is best.

Your download speed of 16 megabytes per second is very respectable and you should be able to watch netflix and cruise the internet at the same time with no issues. I 'think' you need about 7 megabytes per second to watch a video without interruption over the wire. For comparison find a file on your computer that is 16 megabytes in size and take a look at it. Imagine every second that much data is being pumped into your computer over the wire. Impressive when you consider all that.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With our ISP, you pick (and pay) for the internet speed you want.

I recently upgraded to 5M upload and 20M download. Looking at my results, I'm getting exactly what I paid for. My upgrade was needed more for our download limit. We were at 300G per month max and were regularly going over it. This upgrade changed our speed but gives us 500G per month which is what we needed.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow. Impressive. Maybe I should move to Montana to get better high speed internet. :D

Wonder why your upload is a little slow. You got a grade of B while KCvet got an A. You kicked butt on the download speed but his upload speed was a good bit higher than yours.

This is the base plan for 29.99 a month the next step up is 100/20 for 59.99 a month. Yup it is actually 110/20.:wow:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somebody help me with this but I think this is something to consider.

If you're connected via your computer's wireless card, you may be limited on how much your computer is actually receiving.

I believe many wireless cards are 100M but if you connect via wireless G, you only get 54M. Wireless N gives 72M IIRC.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's respectable Baldy. I've heard some nightmare stories about Hughes Net ...but that was a few years ago. Hopefully they have got their act together and can provide that kind of bandwidth 24x7.

I may have to look in to Hughes net again. Last time I did I got crossways with them because they wouldn't listen to me. They wanted to install it their way or not at all. I decided on "not at all". Besides nearly all the people around me who had Hughes Net were dumping them because the service was so poor. It may be time to reconsider.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I may have to look in to Hughes net again. Last time I did I got crossways with them because they wouldn't listen to me. They wanted to install it their way or not at all. I decided on "not at all". Besides nearly all the people around me who had Hughes Net were dumping them because the service was so poor. It may be time to reconsider.
If Hughes isn't reliable, you could always check Verizon.
http://www.verizon.com/home/highspeedinternet/#plans

http://www.verizon.com/info/tv-and-internet-providers-in-my-area/