• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HELP > Need a WiFi range extender out to a workshop (200' away)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looking for some options on how to run WiFi out to my workshop. Need to transmit 200'

There are a couple trees in between the workshop and the house, but no solid buildings/structures.

I found these on Amazon. First place I looked. Haven't done much research yet. Figured someone here has already done this? Figured I'd ask.

Omni Directional RV system (good for 400') >>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KKTQP7/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ANGXR0NYN3EP

Directional system (good for 1200') >>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KRTXQ6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ANGXR0NYN3EP

I'm generally not a big fan of "omni" directional antennas for going long range, and at only $30 more for the directional antenna unit it seems like the better bet. But being the cheapa$$ that I am, and given the OMNI directional unit will go double the distance I need, that might work?

Any thoughts?

Advice?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 5.11.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 5.11.45 PM.png
    143.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 5.11.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 5.11.20 PM.png
    173 KB · Views: 157

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, I’m using this in the barn to bring back the feed fron ip cameras in the barn to the network. About 100 feet from router to extender. Router is in my office looking through the window facing the barn. At the barn extender is in the window facing the house (and the office). No trees.

This model is old, newer stuff out there. It has 4 network connections on it.

Netgear WN2500RP-100NAS N600 Desktop WiFi Range Extender

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/WN2500RP.aspx

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Netgear's newer version >>> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgea...D=1&siteID=jo_pTdthTuc-CCcULCGLZh0iqau31K9JIg

$79 so its a bargain compared to what I have found.

But my main Router, and even my booster unit, are both located in the central part of the house. I'd have to put another repeater in another room to get a repeater remotely close to a window that faces the workshop. I also have the added bonus of the trees that I need to shoot through. A Red Maple and a Shade Master Locust.

So figure I'd spend another $79 and buy 2 of these. One as a repeater inside my house to extend the range out ... and one in the workshop window that could pick up the signal from this one. Still only $160 total for the pair. It might be an option.

They have another one with faster throughput, possibly greater range? $109 each.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They have another one with faster throughput, possibly greater range? $109 each.

I doubt it unless they specifically state more range.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt it unless they specifically state more range.

It has a little graph that makes it appear it has more range.

Not really sure I'm trusting this sort of a solution but it might be worth trying.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a little graph that makes it appear it has more range.

Not really sure I'm trusting this sort of a solution but it might be worth trying.

As a side note I gave $20.00 for mine on letgo :yum:

jwstewar

I've got 4 of these set up and in use:

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-directional-long-range-N-ENH500-KIT/dp/B007ZDC64I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521463408&sr=8-1&keywords=engenius+wireless+bridge+enh500

I'm using one in our barn to shoot 9 IP cameras back to the house. Also stream music in the barn.

I've got 3 more installed for clients. 2 using IP cameras as well. The 3rd is shooting internet to his father's house across the road.

Mine is the closest at about 350'. One is 700', Another probably 600' and the one across the road is probably 1500'.

They work great. Ours has been in use now for 2 years. I had to reboot the one at the house one time to resolve some type of issue.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got 4 of these set up and in use:

https://www.amazon.com/EnGenius-directional-long-range-N-ENH500-KIT/dp/B007ZDC64I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521463408&sr=8-1&keywords=engenius+wireless+bridge+enh500

I'm using one in our barn to shoot 9 IP cameras back to the house. Also stream music in the barn.

I've got 3 more installed for clients. 2 using IP cameras as well. The 3rd is shooting internet to his father's house across the road.

Mine is the closest at about 350'. One is 700', Another probably 600' and the one across the road is probably 1500'.

They work great. Ours has been in use now for 2 years. I had to reboot the one at the house one time to resolve some type of issue.

Now this looks like a practical solution.

But what else do I need?

I presume the workshop would then need a wireless router inside? Does an ethernet cable connect the antenna to the router? How is the antenna powered?

At the house end I presume, again, this has to be attached to a router via ethernet cable? So I should be able to attach it to one of my existing routers.

jwstewar

You are on it Bob.

Just connect an Ethernet cable at the house from your existing router to the POE injector. This can be in the basement of the house and then just run an Ethernet cable to this if you choose to mount it outside to get a better line of sight. Same thing in the garage. You can run Ethernet cable to a router in access point if you want it on the same network or to the WAN port of the router in normal mode if you want it on a separate network. The one instance I have, the receiver in the barn also is broadcasting a wifi signal, but it isn't the greatest a router in Access Point mode would work better.

These are weather proof, I have ours at the house outside without issue, but inside the barn I'm shooting through the poly carbonate at the top of the barn.
One of the installs both antennae are inside shooting/receiving behind Low-E glass.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You are on it Bob.

Just connect an Ethernet cable at the house from your existing router to the POE injector. This can be in the basement of the house and then just run an Ethernet cable to this if you choose to mount it outside to get a better line of sight. Same thing in the garage. You can run Ethernet cable to a router in access point if you want it on the same network or to the WAN port of the router in normal mode if you want it on a separate network. The one instance I have, the receiver in the barn also is broadcasting a wifi signal, but it isn't the greatest a router in Access Point mode would work better.

These are weather proof, I have ours at the house outside without issue, but inside the barn I'm shooting through the poly carbonate at the top of the barn.
One of the installs both antennae are inside shooting/receiving behind Low-E glass.

On the house side I think it will be easiest to do an outside mount.

On the workshop side I can probably set it behind a window without it being in my way.

jwstewar

You are welcome. 3 of the 4 installations are the house outside and the barn/garage inside. I've ended up using the satellite pole on 2 of them. Just so happened they were in the right location.

And, you can always reach out to me for guidance, but Engenious also has pretty good support and they have also uploaded several videos to YouTube. I've used those when configuring them, especially the first time, but I usually watch them just as a refresher as well.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

On the house side I think it will be easiest to do an outside mount.

On the workshop side I can probably set it behind a window without it being in my way.

Bob, looks like these are the real deal!

I think I will replace my extender with these. I was worried that when I add cameras it would slow things down. This is the solution.

Jim, thanks!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You are welcome. 3 of the 4 installations are the house outside and the barn/garage inside. I've ended up using the satellite pole on 2 of them. Just so happened they were in the right location.

And, you can always reach out to me for guidance, but Engenious also has pretty good support and they have also uploaded several videos to YouTube. I've used those when configuring them, especially the first time, but I usually watch them just as a refresher as well.

Thanks again.

I went out and looked at my line of sight. Actually looks like I can shoot IN BETWEEN + UNDER the two trees that are in the yard if I mount the house side about 3' above the ground near my AT&T landline exterior connection box. On the shop side I can probably just do a simple wall mount outside or put it inside in the window.

Biggest issue will be fishing the ethernet up from my basement router up to the garage, then over to the wall. Not a huge thing. More of a PITA, pulled some wire up there before so I might still have a pull string in the wall??? I hope.

NOT 100% sure I will be adding this but at least now I know the actually stuff I need, I also have a strong level of confidence it will properly work, and I know the cost is fairly reasonable too ... should be about $200 for a router, wire, and these directional antennas to make the link :smile:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well damn, just looked, no pull string. That's OK the hole is filled with video cables and caulked solid so it just looks like I'd need to drill a new hole and fish through. Like I said, not a biggie.

BTW the whole reason for this potential project is wife inspired. She is thinking of moving her teaching workspace out to the apartment over the workshop. She needs access to the internet for grading because they use "google docs" for a lot of assignments. So if she decides this has to get done it looks like a reasonably easy project.

And the fact that I could have a table at the workbench for videos, music, etc is just an added benefit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK so from the INSTALL GUIDE, it looks like the power adapter is INSIDE the house. 1 ethernet cable runs through the wall to the antenna on one end, the other end is connected to the inside thing-a-ma-jigger that plugs into the power supply. That thing also has another ethernet port which runs a second ethernet cable to the router. RIGHT?

So 1 kit = 2 antennas, 2 power supplies & 2 'POE injectors'.

I would buy 4 ethernet cables + 1 new router at the workshop.

Correct?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 8.44.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 8.44.43 AM.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 130

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You are on it Bob.

Let me play stupid and ask what is the reason for a router in the barn and what is it connected to? The only thing I need signal for in the garage is phones and smart TV.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me play stupid and ask what is the reason for a router in the barn and what is it connected to? The only thing I need signal for in the garage is phones and smart TV.

As stated earlier in the thread, my wife is looking to move her teaching work room to the guest apartment over my workshop. So she needs her school computer to access the internet. Hence the need for a wireless router on the receiving end.

As for phones, I'm hardwired to the workshop with a phone line. There were ethernet lines run over there also but those got cut about a dozen years ago when a fence was installed. The phone line was spared. The data lines were lost. Don't want to run new wires over there because now there is a sidewalk in the way and I extended a concrete patio too. I'd need to bore under those.

jwstewar

OK so from the INSTALL GUIDE, it looks like the power adapter is INSIDE the house. 1 ethernet cable runs through the wall to the antenna on one end, the other end is connected to the inside thing-a-ma-jigger that plugs into the power supply. That thing also has another ethernet port which runs a second ethernet cable to the router. RIGHT?

So 1 kit = 2 antennas, 2 power supplies & 2 'POE injectors'.

I would buy 4 ethernet cables + 1 new router at the workshop.

Correct?

At the house the wire from the router goes to the Ethernet port on the power injector - yes, that stays in the house. These things are actually Power Over Ethernet - POE. You will then run a wire from the Power Injector to the Antennae itself. On the garage side it is the same. From the Antennae to the Injector. From the Injector to the wireless router/Access Point. The second Ethernet port is used to hook additional devices to it. I've never used it.

Here is the manual for them: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/473796/Engenius-Enh500.html?page=18#manual It sounds more confusing than it is, but if you run into problems, they do have good support. I've called them and emailed them.