• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Edumacate me on ipads

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not an apple guy and know very little about them. That being said, we're looking for a used ipad for one of the kids for his birthday in February. He has an ipod already hence the reason for the ipad vs android tablet. So what's the difference between an ipad 2 and a 3? Both are basically the same specs from what l can tell.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had 2 different iPads, they are basically idiot proof tablets.

Mine were versions 1 and 2 so I can't speak to the difference between 2 and 3.

Tablets have their limits, basically its got the same capabilities as a smartphone, without the phone function.

I like them but moved to a MacBook Air computer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kids love them. My wife prefers ipad over laptop of any type.
I'm not sure when the plug changed from the original wide plug to the mini one they call the lightning plug but that might be one of the differences in ipad 2 and ipad 3. Wife had the ipad 1 and now has the ipad 3. Resolution and memory limits grow with each version.

I bought both of her's at Daily Steals. They have fairly low prices on old ipads. They are new but not the latest greatest offering. https://www.dailysteals.com/collections/apple-tablets

I bought one long ago that did not have WiFi. Be careful about that. WiFi is a very desirable if not mandatory option (at least for me).

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Not much difference between the 2 and 3. Both are @2012 vintage, 1 ghz processor, old style power/data connector and at end of life cycle with ios 9.3. Current version ios is 11.2.2.

I would look for a minimum of first or second generation Air. Almost double the processor speed, new style connector, and still current on handling newest ios versions.

I started with a 2. Sold it and got a 4, then an air 2. Just got a pro for Christmas more for extra storage than performance. ibooks, kindle books, pdf files, and pictures.

Glyde.com has bargains at times. I got the pro on ebay.

Heres a comparision written when the air was introduced

https://newatlas.com/ipad-air-vs-ipad-4-vs-ipad-3-vs-ipad-2/29532/

Software life cycle

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have an iPod mini2. It basically does everything a regular iPod will with just a smaller screen. Mine is WiFi only. So if I'm inside an area/building that has WiFi it works fine. Leave that area and you're not going to do much with it. I only use it for checking in on the forums and news/weather/traffic updates. It has the newer Lightning cable port. I've had a couple of Android tablets and hated them. Lock-ups, shut downs and just plain not working. If I could do some target practice here, they'd be the first targets I set up. My son is an Apple guy. He always has the latest and greatest. He did finally talk me into an iPhone years ago and I just recently upgraded to an iPhone 7S. He hasn't talked me into a Mac desktop yet.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I picked up an ipad 2 with the 10" screen for him. It's coming with a case and screen protector for under 100. He'll get it for his birthday next month.

I also stumbled upon a Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 here locally and picked it up for myself. I'm not a gamer so it'll work fine for me. The old asus I had from a few years ago would barely hold a charge and struggles even with basic browsing. So it's become a brick for all intensive purposes.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the info. I picked up an ipad 2 with the 10" screen for him. It's coming with a case and screen protector for under 100. He'll get it for his birthday next month.

I also stumbled upon a Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 here locally and picked it up for myself. I'm not a gamer so it'll work fine for me. The old asus I had from a few years ago would barely hold a charge and struggles even with basic browsing. So it's become a brick for all intensive purposes.

Good choices there. The only apple product I own is an iMac and that bloody thing is a phenomenal computer. Going on 8 years old, running great on the latest FREE OS upgrade from Apple and does not owe me one red cent. Say that about a PC, I've never been able to.

I'm sure the iPad will be good.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far Im happy with the tab. It's not the latest and greatest but will do me for now. I ordered a keyboard case for it on ebay for $10. I went out today and found the same one in an electronics store for $89.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk