• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone made the move to Windows 7 yet?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I really need to replace my office computer since it's been dying a slow death for the last year. As some know, I've not been successful in mastering my MacBook Pro yet and with several proprietary custom programs that are also not compatible with Mac, my only real choice is to replace it with another PC. Since I'll have to go through the time and trouble to copy all of my programs and data over I was sort of figuring that I ought to have a clean install of Windows 7 on it to start rather than installing Vista and then, most likely, upgrading (if it's really an upgrade) to Windows 7.

Being that I've not had an opportunity to read anything about Windows 7 other than it's out now, I was hoping that maybe someone here may have already tried it out and could give a quick review. Any comments or suggestions?

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't yet. I bought a new Vista laptop a few weeks ago. I got the upgrade free and it's on order. I just thought for for the shipping price of $12.99 I'd have it here if I need it.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have ordered a new laptop that will have it on. Our IT company wanted me to stay with XP or go up to 7 and recommended 7. So that is what I am getting. I can't tell you much about it as of yet.

norscaner

DW just purchased a new laptop and opted to stay with XP....she likes old things she can bank on:whistling:.....not a real bad choice :brows:.. been my bride for 31 years... seems like yesterday only getting better.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Some of my programs won't work on XP, so that is removed as a choice for me. So you figure that I may as well go with 7 since I'm sure MS will eventually force us to go that way? I've just looked and the few reviews I've seen seem to be positive.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Go down to Best Buy or some place like that. I am sure they have some machines with it on for you to play with on display. You should be able to get a good idea if you like it or not.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The reviews I've seen on it have been good overall. There was a free download where you could try out Wiin7 for free. It was a temp copy that you could later upgrade ...for a cost ofcourse.

Here is a link to a Microsoft tour of windows 7, look around and maybe you'll find the free download (if they are still offering it).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Go down to Best Buy or some place like that. I am sure they have some machines with it on for you to play with on display. You should be able to get a good idea if you like it or not.

Well, duh, that would make sense. Now if I just knew what I need to be looking for specifically. I've read that the new version of Apple's operating system will address the issues I've experienced trying to use their system. I wonder if the new version of Windows will play nice with the new version of Apple? Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like the two operating systems are moving closer and closer together. Or, perhaps, Windows is moving closer towards Apple?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
so far she's hung on like a trooper.
I love it!

That reminded me of a woman we saw at the state fair. A little overweight and and a little more makeup than the environment called for. She was tired and plopped down in an exhibitor's chair. Then she noticed it was a demo of vibrating discs intended to sooth your tired feet. She looked at everybody with a wicked grin and said she would have sat on one of the discs if there weren't so many people watching her.

As she intended, everybody howled. :biggrin:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I love it!

That reminded me of a woman we saw at the state fair. A little overweight and and a little more makeup than the environment called for. She was tired and plopped down in an exhibitor's chair. Then she noticed it was a demo of vibrating discs intended to sooth your tired feet. She looked at everybody with a wicked grin and said she would have sat on one of the discs if there weren't so many people watching her.

As she intended, everybody howled. :biggrin:
:hammer: back on topic!!!
LOL
I am not so sure I should go with Windows 7 on the new computer.
I can upgrade to 7 I think, but this computer came Windows Ready/Vista... didn't have to download any additional software at all.
Then again, I may not know what the hell I am talking about since I haven't really dug around that deep on it yet.
It's all still so new to me.
I got all the basic programs I need right now.
One thing is for sure... I am NOT going to download a shitload of music off Limewire or things that eat up a ton of memory ever again.
I want this computer to last a long time.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I am NOT going to download a shitload of music off Limewire or things that eat up a ton of memory ever again.

Actually, it's not the music that uses memory. It's the cyber-vira you get from downloading files at P2P sites like Limewire that gobble memory. Try Amazon. It's only .99/song. Or your local library. My lappytop has been running smooth ever since I stopped the pirate stuff (no pun intended :biggrin:).

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have been using 7 for about six months now (beta program) and I have to say that it has been great. The memory usage and performance is actually BETTER than Vista on the same hardware.

I would definitely recommend Win7 if you are buying new hardware, and seriously consider it if you just want to upgrade from Vista or XP.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been using 7 for about six months now (beta program) and I have to say that it has been great. The memory usage and performance is actually BETTER than Vista on the same hardware.

I would definitely recommend Win7 if you are buying new hardware, and seriously consider it if you just want to upgrade from Vista or XP.

Figuring I will eventually have to, I just ordered the 3 pack directly from Microsoft. It allows you to install the OS on three different computers. I suppose it will get here next week. I will certainly do backups before I do anything. Well, actually, I'll probably put it on a new computer and add programs and data to it before I ever upgrade my slowly dying Vista system.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sorry "Doc". We don't allow cross-site linking unless the owners of both forums have an agreement to do so....this post might have to be removed unless the moderators can confirm any such agreement.
Utt Oh! :hide:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:hammer: back on topic!!!
LOL
I am not so sure I should go with Windows 7 on the new computer.
I can upgrade to 7 I think, but this computer came Windows Ready/Vista... didn't have to download any additional software at all.
Then again, I may not know what the hell I am talking about since I haven't really dug around that deep on it yet.
It's all still so new to me.
I got all the basic programs I need right now.
One thing is for sure... I am NOT going to download a shitload of music off Limewire or things that eat up a ton of memory ever again.
I want this computer to last a long time.

BUMP!!!!!

Well it didn't, and I made it from Vista with a short stop at 7 all the way to 10.

:yum: