• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Uninstalling safesear.ch

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I picked up something called "safesear.ch." It's more annoying that anything,

It's a browser hijacker. It puts in it's own search engine. It usually comes bundled with Freeware. It usually won't install if you do a custom install and are careful
I got rid of it on Google Chrome and on Firefox.

I uninstalled them and reinstalled new copies.
It's on Edge now and I can't see a way to doing that.
When I look up how to do that I keep either getting the obvious ("go to Control Panel and uninstall). Or it wants me to install some other software that I don't trust.
Since I use Firefox or Chrome it doesn't really affect me. But it just bugs me that it's there.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up something called "safesear.ch." It's more annoying that anything,

It's a browser hijacker. It puts in it's own search engine. It usually comes bundled with Freeware. It usually won't install if you do a custom install and are careful
I got rid of it on Google Chrome and on Firefox.

I uninstalled them and reinstalled new copies.
It's on Edge now and I can't see a way to doing that.
When I look up how to do that I keep either getting the obvious ("go to Control Panel and uninstall). Or it wants me to install some other software that I don't trust.
Since I use Firefox or Chrome it doesn't really affect me. But it just bugs me that it's there.

Did you look at this?

https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/8183-safesear-ch-browser-hijacker

I hadn't heard of safesearch, but ir seems it's actually two programs, one an add on to the browser.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks, but that's similar to other sites I've seen. I can't uninstall it from the Control Panel, (I can't find the program there), and I'm not going to try some other software to remove it.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, but that's similar to other sites I've seen. I can't uninstall it from the Control Panel, (I can't find the program there), and I'm not going to try some other software to remove it.

The program is buried in the browser. Hence you will see only the browser.

I had something like that a while back. I think I got rid of it by running Malwarebytes or Avast. Maybe both. They are designed to root out hidden add ons.