• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what's your internet speed ??

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just had fiber optics installed for phone and internet. I am trial testing 1 gig speed in return for displaying a yard sign for the phone co. Here are my test results on my iMac desktop:

Attachments

• speed test.jpg
    speed test.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 191

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in the boonies, just had a tune up on my DSL with new business class modem/router, this is as good as it gets. Until recently 2.5 was the best and typically it run under 2. I'm like a pig in shit now!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog - I thought you were on Armstrong.
I too live in the boonies but here's my result.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is what mine is today:
Not bad but nothing to brag about like Cat's.

Attachments

• SpeedTestTimeWarner040116.PNG
    SpeedTestTimeWarner040116.PNG
    132.3 KB · Views: 178

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's mine. This is about as fast as I've seen. Sometimes as low as 1/2 this rate.

Jim

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 163

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Big Dog - I thought you were on Armstrong.
I too live in the boonies but here's my result.

Windstream is our only option in Armstrong County AFA phone service and they haven't done any upgrades for quite some time. I could get higher speeds if I lived closer to a terminal but that is 4 miles away. I'll never see cable. Rumor has it AT&T might be coming in with fiber but I'll believe that when I see it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have 150 mbps Comcast Blast as part of my cable package but my wireless router is old and limits the speed to around 50. Maybe I should buy a new router, but this one works great with good range so why fix something that ain't broke.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn. Take a pic of that modem. I have to talk to them. I'm in the sticks, and it's evening so more competition online but I got about half what you got. This is normal for me, you posted the best I've ever seen for Time Warner. Congrats.

I got a postcard from spectrum (old time warner) saying I could triple my internet speed for free. What a deal. While talking to them I went to their cable tv service so that I can drop DirecTV. DirecTV charged me in Feb for HBO and Showtime and I did not order them. They gave me a free trial then if I didn't call to cancel they just left them on. Cost me 30 bucks. So ..I had been considering switching as I've been with DirecTV to long ...about 20 years. And they pull this crap. So ....I can save some dough and my internet is now FASTER. Way kewl.

For other Spectrum Customers ...I think all can get this upgrade, but it does cost for a tech visit to upgrade the modem and do something on the line outside on the pole.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6141832171.png

Attachments

• SpeedTest_March_18_2017.PNG
    SpeedTest_March_18_2017.PNG
    10.9 KB · Views: 148
  • SpeedTest_March_18_2017-2.PNG
    SpeedTest_March_18_2017-2.PNG
    56.8 KB · Views: 148

k-dog

Mine is usually around 20 down and 10 up which sucks when I'm paying for 100 down. My parents live 4 miles from me have the basic and I did 5 tests over there the other day and their download was between 119 and 224 but the upload stayed constant at 12.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That seems slow by Xfinity standards. My Xfinity is over 200 down.

My Xfinity varies. 244 down a few minutes ago. Most of the time 150 to 175 down. Every once in a while drops to 30 or 40 down. Up is pretty consistant at 12 plus or minus.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just grabbed the new fastest speed available ..... I'm rolling now! :w00t2:

st.jpg

Yep, DSL and I live in the boonies. Went from a solid 6 mbps to a solid 11 mbps ........................ :yum:

My sons, who live in Columbus push 75 mbps

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just grabbed the new fastest speed available .....
I thought you were on Zoom. :sad: They just bumped up their speed and data big time. I actually went down a level of service and still getting about the same.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought you were on Zoom. :sad: They just bumped up their speed and data big time. I actually went down a level of service and still getting about the same.

Heck no, it's a monopoly out here ......... Windstream only. When we first built here (1998) we got a solid 2.5. Speed out here is suspect to how close you are to a switching station, ours is approximately 3.5 miles away. They offered us 6 about 10 years ago and I upgraded but after a year we never ever experienced 6, 4 was the average so I went back down ($10 a month). Four years ago they promised we'd get 6 so we did it and got it.

Have a buddy that works for the company, said I need to try 10, he was sure I could get it. Called and upgraded, besides having to wait 3 1/2 weeks for the install. Then the install took 3 hours and a new modem.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to hear Zoom isn't available in your area. I figured it was since you're in the area between Nixon, Muleman and me and we're all on Zoom.

Ironman

I fired att. :finger1: I was getting internet thru copper lines.

I have a T-mobile tower I can see from the hill I live on. $50 dollars

F13FBC02-192B-41B2-B367-674304D0BFDD.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Doc

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our provider is now giving 500mps download. I don't recall the upload.
On my side, I'm not getting quite those speeds. I have old CAT-5 and several routers and whichever you choose, you get the speed from that router. Being fully wireless hinders our speed as well.

chowderman

curious stuff.
on the notebook via modem+router it's showing 640-700 down, 25 up
both router and notebook are running 802.11ax.
consistent with multiple historical tests . . .

tests on the desktop - modem+Ethernet cable
one showed 250 down another 400 down another 700 down. still mid 20's up

our cable is Comcast/Xfinity - I intentionally avoid their speed test offerings, as they have been known to ahem,,, alter things....
some months back I did get an email from Xfinity telling me my modem was behind the times.

I did upgrade to the 802.11ax standard since late model iPhones and iPads and my HP notebook support it.
is 802.11ax better? well, DW, who would not know 802.11ax from the Axe Slasher Movie, , , , sudden opined "Gosh my phone is a lot quicker!"

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I called to cancel spectrum cable tv and ....got 120 off my bill and a new faster modem and router, plus I now have spectrum tv over the internet like hulu for next to nothing for one year. Then they will charge if I don't cancel.

So I had to do a speed test. Pleasantly surprised. Fastest ever. :wow:

speedtest051223.JPG

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
mine out in the sticks is Xfinity

Mbps download
Mbps upload
Latency: 27 ms
Server: Washington
Your Internet connection is very fast.
Your Internet connection should be able to handle multiple devices streaming HD videos, video conferencing, and gaming at the same time.

• Wow