• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a new Laptop

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I am sending that refurbished laptop back.
Although I don't want to spend the money I think I am going to have to buy a new laptop. And although I hate it I will probably be stuck with *shudder* Windows 10.
That being said any suggestions as to a new laptop?
I know that they don't have the greatest speakers but I would like one with good speakers.
I would be willing to spend up to $1000. (with tax). Any suggestions?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Cat. there are a ton of options out there depending on need and budget.

Six months ago I purchased an Acer Win10 laptop for my wife and it has been nothing short of fantastic. My wife uses it every day and we have had zero problems with it to date. I am amazed at how well it has worked.

Just relating my experiences with it. Your mileage may vary. I purchased it from Amazon. The largely positive reviews was the deciding factor for me. Read those specs closely. Notice it has a SSD and a very nice video card.

Here is the linkie:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E5-575G-53VG-Laptop-Windows/dp/B01DT4A2R4

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll 2nd the Acer. Bought my son one a year ago (and he's hell on computers). It has worked flawlessly.

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I bought a HP last year out the door $400 at Best Buys. The sales people don't know jack and it has win10 which takes some getting use to. The scroll bar is so thin I have trouble keeping it in there which is a pain because you have to go back and forth. Also the damn thing keeps changing magnification so you have to click on the "more" option and reset it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm a Mac OS/X guy so my expectations with Windows 10 was close to zero so there wasn't a lot of room for dissapointment. With that said, I have to say i like it a lot. Kind of ironic really. One of the few people who like Win10 and it comes from a Mac fan. :yum:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
My experience with Acers has been baaaaaaad.

HP's are loaded with crapware.

Dell and Lenovo have always served me well.

For Windows 10 (great OS, btw) you'll need:

1. Touchscreen;
2. Minimum I5 processor;
3. Minimum 8 GB RAM;
4. Video card would be nice too (not integrated) but not required;
5. SSD is great, but expensive. I need more storage for media, so I go with HDD's. So far I've been ok.

With your price range, you'll easily be within that range.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Asus and Dell are my go to laptops currently and when I need to replace I most likely will by one of the two again if they are available.

Check www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.amazon.com

Once you find a model you like look for reviews on tech forums. If all sounds okay then check www.ebay.com to see if a seller there can do better on price.

Get 8gb min memory ...16gb if you can afford it. Makes surfing the web a breeze.
Good luck.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a HP last year out the door $400 at Best Buys. The sales people don't know jack and it has win10 which takes some getting use to. The scroll bar is so thin I have trouble keeping it in there which is a pain because you have to go back and forth. Also the damn thing keeps changing magnification so you have to click on the "more" option and reset it.

I've had no problem with W-10. I don't have the issues you mention. Possibly you have some configuration problems. Some of the configuration issues I have had have been related to the browser. The zoom problem on my machine, for instance turned out to be a Chrome issue.

HP has some issues with defective cases. I'm on my third in 3 years. HP has covered the issue with minimal cost, but I've had to fight with them. It's worth Googling HP case defect before buying. Other than that, I've had good luck with HP and Acer.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My last laptop was a dell which i got off ebay for a steal. I served me well for 3 years till it started acting up on startup. I upgraded to windows 10 and loved it.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Everything I have been reading makes me lean towards a Dell.
Since I can't use them anymore I may sell a couple handguns and buy one.