• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got my laptop wet ETC. HELP

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I am back practicing Lubuntu on my old desktop because I got my Lenovo laptop wet.
I was getting a drink of water and it was running on battery power. After that it still was working fine. I thought it was just a bit damp so I didn't blow it off with a hair dryer or anything. I just set it aside to dry out. A few hours later I tried it and I kept getting the message that my password was wrong. I checked that the cap locks were off off. I used the on screen keyboard Then I tried to reset the password after that now when it boots up it asks for that password. When I put that in it justs takes me to the start screen and as before got the message that my password was wrong. I used the hair dryer.
I let it dry out for a few days and tried it with a spare battery. I get the same thing.
Why - what did I fry or whatever - do to it. It boots but won't accept my password.

I was trying my other laptop (Acer Aspire) but no matter what I do the screen is to bright. Even using my TV set with it instead of thee screen doesn't help. This desk top's screen is also bright but I should be able to fix that externally. Any suggestions there would also be helpful.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Utt Oh. Never had that issue but drying it out seems like the best thing to do. Wait and let it dry. Otherwise I do not know what to tell you. Good luck.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Thank you for the information Jimbo. I haven't tried it yet because my brain has seemed to be more scrambled than usual (seriously) today.

Hopefully I will be feeling more in gear tomorrow. Thanks again.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I gave it a try (more than once) but I get the message:
Error Unlocking the hard disk failed!
Below that it says
When I try anything else it says:
Error HDD security failure counts have exceeded limits!
I might try a new hard drive but I think I will look for a computer repair shop in Phoenix.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried the burying a iphone in a bag of rice after I accidentally went swimming with it. Rice could not save it. I read later that dry heat has a better chance at drying out a phone, so I suppose that would work with a puter also.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
A friend of mine who is much smarter than me fixed it. He replaced the hard drive. The message that it gave when I tried to boot it up is a basic "Bios" message. This is from the mother board. Since he replaced the hard drive it works.
I don't have info that I need to reinstall Windows. Basically they make you prove with some kind of code that it was installed on a computer, so you have the right to reinstall it.
He installed the latest version of Ubuntu instead.
Looks like I am going to need to learn more about that.
I will keep you informed about that on the Linux sub-forum