• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Disk parking brake locked up

snowbird

My Bombardier SV200 SkiDozer has a disk brake for the emergency brake. It doesn't seem to be original (the mounting for it at least). I smelled hot brake lining material the other day and the brake was very hot. I took it apart today and see the pads are fried.:sad: Does anyone in the forum know what might have caused this? Would air in the brake line keep enough pressure on the cylinder operating the pads that they'd overheat?:ermm:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be honest, I'm not familiar with the SV200 but I have a question.

Is the emergency brake really in the hydraulic system? On most vehicles, it's mechanical. One main reason being a failure in the hydraulic system.

When I've had issues with the emergency brake getting stuck, it was due to a cable being bound up (normally due to lack of lubrication or water that froze inside the cable).

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had an SV 301 where the emergency brake was a foot pedal actuated master cylinder that worked a driveshaft mounted disc brake. If your system is the same the only thing I can think of is I have put re-build kits in these master cylinders that pump up and hold pressure if the rod going into the M/C is not shortened a little. Try pumping it up and after a while crack the disc brake bleeder and see if you have pressure.

snowbird

Thanks for the hints. Yes, there is a foot-operated pedal on the left side of the floorboard and it is hydraulic all the way to the calipers on the disk brake assembly. It also has a short lever on the dash which can be flipped up to act as a parking brake. Perhaps I should operate that once in a while to relieve any built-up pressure in the line? (I've never used it as a parking brake) I think the pedal and parking brake assembly are original Bombardier.

cj7

Also take a look at the sliding area of the caliper and pad assembly. It is common on regular cars that do not get used often for them to rust and stick.

Normal atomospheric air presure will not cause this problem.

It is possible that maybe the pedal is sticking and applying pressure to the back master cylinder causing a drag on the E - brake?