• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMPORTANT NOTICE ON THE CALIFORNIA SHOOTOUT

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I say we all try to get together for a ride somewhere if they do not have the shootout.....

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Conditions on I-80 at 4:30
I 80
[SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA]
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT AT THE SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND BAY BRIDGE
/IN SAN FRANCISCO/ (SAN FRANCISCO,ALAMEDA CO's) - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED
FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS OR PERMIT LOADS

[IN THE SACRAMENTO VALLEY & SIERRA NEVADA]
**FOR EASTBOUND TRAFFIC:
IS CLOSED TO ALL EASTBOUND TRUCKS AT APPLEGATE (PLACER CO) - DUE TO
SPINOUTS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH
SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM NYACK (PLACER CO) TO THE NEVADA STATE LINE

**FOR WESTBOUND TRAFFIC:
WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS BEING HELD FROM AT THE NEVADA STATE LINE - DUE TO
SNOW & ACCIDENTS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS BEING HELD AT TRUCKEE (NEVADA CO) - DUE TO SNOW &
ACCIDENTS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

SEMIS OVER 65 FEET OR WITH A KINGPIN TO REAR AXLE DISTANCE GREATER THAN
40 FEET ARE PROHIBITED FROM THROUGH TRAVEL ON US 50 & SR 70

EASTBOUND TRUCKS ARE BEING SCREENED AT APPLEGATE (PLACER CO) - DRIVERS MUST
HAVE MAXIMUM CHAINS IN THEIR POSSESSION IN ORDER TO PROCEED - PERMIT LOADS ARE
PROHIBITED

WESTBOUND TRUCKS ARE BEING SCREENED 5 MI WEST OF RENO (WASHOE CO) - DRIVERS
MUST HAVE MAXIMUM CHAINS IN THEIR POSSESSION IN ORDER TO PROCEED - PERMIT LOADS
ARE PROHIBITED

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT OVER THE YOLO CAUSEWAY & OVER THE BRYTE
BEND BRIDGE /WEST OF SACRAMENTO/ (YOLO CO)

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Jen's Jeep said:
I wish I was going:cry:

If you want to go , its fine with me :snow2_smi:

"If" we go, the wife and I have extra room in our car .":17875: . Thats a big IF, right now though .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've only been skimming this thread.

Do I have this right?
You're going to a place to play with snowcats.
Snow has arrived.
Snow is in your way to get there.

Why don't you just get in your snowcats and drive there. Heck, you can help stranded motorists on your way (in trade for their gas to get you further down the road).

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
I've only been skimming this thread.

Do I have this right?
You're going to a place to play with snowcats.
Snow has arrived.
Snow is in your way to get there.

Why don't you just get in your snowcats and drive there. Heck, you can help stranded motorists on your way (in trade for their gas to get you further down the road).

:yum: :yum: :yum: Good One Boomer ,but its coming down pretty hard here . Close to "white out conditions" at the house now . In about 2 more hours of this and I am jumping in my Yetti and making a gun run up and around the nieghborhood . They got to catch me to stop me and all they got is a couple wimpy Snot Tracs's with peddles !!!:yum:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Mike ,
If we end up going you are more than welcome to ride with us . We will come to Auburn ,so there would be no need to drive all the way to Grass Valley . You could leave your rental car at the Flour Garden bakery in Auburn where we are to meet and hitch a ride . That is "IF" we go

there is now an inch of snow on the ground here

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
California said:
See the pic in post #45.
Done. OK, save his ass too on your way (but check to see if it's a 2-cycle before you take his gas).

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Mike ,
If we end up going you are more than welcome to ride with us . We will come to Auburn ,so there would be no need to drive all the way to Grass Valley . You could leave your rental car at the Flour Garden bakery in Auburn where we are to meet and hitch a ride . That is "IF" we go

there is now an inch of snow on the ground here
Thanks for the offer I really meant tonight...... I was making a joke???

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
PERFECT CONDITIONS for us Snowcatters! What is all the fuss about on the road ways. Its just a little snow.:yum:

mbsieg said:
Conditions on I-80 at 4:30
I 80
[SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA]
A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT AT THE SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND BAY BRIDGE
/IN SAN FRANCISCO/ (SAN FRANCISCO,ALAMEDA CO's) - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED
FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS OR PERMIT LOADS

**FOR EASTBOUND TRAFFIC:
IS CLOSED TO ALL EASTBOUND TRUCKS AT APPLEGATE (PLACER CO) - DUE TO
SPINOUTS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM NYACK (PLACER CO) TO THE NEVADA STATE LINE

**FOR WESTBOUND TRAFFIC:
WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS BEING HELD FROM AT THE NEVADA STATE LINE - DUE TO
SNOW & ACCIDENTS - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

WESTBOUND TRAFFIC IS BEING HELD AT TRUCKEE (NEVADA CO) - DUE TO SNOW &

PROHIBITED

ARE PROHIBITED

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT OVER THE YOLO CAUSEWAY & OVER THE BRYTE
BEND BRIDGE /WEST OF SACRAMENTO/ (YOLO CO)

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
PERFECT CONDITIONS for us Snowcatters! What is all the fuss about on the road ways. Its just a little snow.:yum:
My Biggest problem is that my snowcat is over 1000mi away?????? Maybe I can convince Mtntopper to bring it on over here to CA for me.....:wave:

Vance

Okay, I'm on now....

Report from Meadow Vista just above Auburn at 1800 ft:

1 1/2 inches on the ground and still snowing good. From looking at the wx - it'll keep this up most of the night. I expect 4-6 at this elev by morning.

I STILL have confidence in the caltrans crew - as long as it's not blowing like a mf they'll have the road open (it could close overnight) by 7-8am. I don't care if chain controls are at Auburn - I'm fine with the drive. I planned on taking the Jeep but could take the Dodge if we need to fit more peeps. I suggest we caravan in 2 rigs in case it get dicey. I love this kind of wx!!!!

I say game on!!!

If anyone needs my cell number- just PM me. I sent it out earlier. If you have trouble getting to Auburn in the am then I'll come down the hill (I don't expect this).

See y'all in the am.

Vance

With another few inches I can take the sleds for a spin in the neighborhood... wooo hooo!!

Vance

Okay, here is an update from my buddy who operates a groomer at Boreal and lives in Soda Springs.

Hey Vance,

I finally made it down to the parking lot today. 3' new since Sunday aft. Old 40 has not been plowed since early in the storm set. WB 80 is closed at the moment from NV to somewhere West of the summit. I've talked to 2 different friends one in TRK and one at Boreal and CHP/CT will not let them on 80. Anyway, unless you can chopper me down to Yuba Gap it looks like I am Towle-bound for another day or two. :-(

Attached are some pics indicative of the past 36-48 hrs. Tucker rear kingpin bolt backed out so she is out of commission for the time being. Using the Spryte which is a toy compared to the Tuckie but at least it works.

Please take pics tomorrow!

Thanks,
humpty

Keep in mind that these pics show the snow SINCE SUNDAY!!! There is about 9-12 feet of new snow in the last week...

Vance
:letitsnow: :snow2_smi: :letitsnow: :snow2_smi:

Attachments

• 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 002.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 002.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 003.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 003.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 004.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 004.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 006.jpg
    2007_0227 Snow Day pt 2 006.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 85

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
bczoom said:
OK, save his ass too on your way (but check to see if it's a 2-cycle before you take his gas).
Here's the Biggest Stuck at Yuba Gap. A 6500hp transcontinental train bogged down and disappeared like that snowmobile. The passengers were stranded until the weather cleared and they could walk out (+ several more days to free the train). Two rescuers died.

Photo, after the weather cleared:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/milespost/Trains_01/stranded_streamliner.jpg

Story: (scroll down one screen)
http://scax-e-one.livejournal.com/123111.html

I'm old enough to remember that one. Relatives hung around in train terminals all through the storm waiting for news like they do today after an air crash.

Have you guys in the East heard of the Donner Party? That's why they call this Donner Pass.

Al, Vance, etc you guys take care out there.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmmmm???? what is everyone thinking?????? Are we going to shoot the moon?????? If I am going to leave SAC in the AM it will have to be very early I am not going to drive on crappy roads in this much traffic......... Let me know everyones thoughts.... I would really like to go but lets not put anyone in danger!!!

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
IS CLOSED TO WESTBOUND TRAFFIC AT THE NEVADA STATE LINE - DUE TO SNOW &

IS CLOSED TO WESTBOUND TRAFFIC AT TRUCKEE (NEVADA CO) - DUE TO SNOW &

SNOW TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM APPLEGATE (PLACER CO) TO THE
DONNER LAKE INTERCHANGE (NEVADA CO)

PROHIBITED

ARE PROHIBITED
8:30 still the same

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Well all I can tell you is that the traffic will be kinda bad both West and South bound. If it were me I would be at the base of the mountain around 4:30 to 5:00 am at the latest. The great news is its not Friday or Saturday so you wont have the normal weekend traffic. It really shouldnt be to bad (remember I live in a very rural area and no one gives a shit if you drive in any condition so I judge things diffrently). So buck it up and get up earlier. Carry a bunch of food stuff and drinks (plus a nice big thermos with some fresh brewed coffee). Top off the tank. Have some chains. Carry some wool blankets and a pillow. Other than that have fun. Wish I lived closer.

Vance

California said:
Here's the Biggest Stuck at Yuba Gap. A 6500hp transcontinental train bogged down and disappeared like that snowmobile. The passengers were stranded until the weather cleared and they could walk out (+ several more days to free the train). Two rescuers died.

Photo, after the weather cleared:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/milespost/Trains_01/stranded_streamliner.jpg

Story: (scroll down one screen)
http://scax-e-one.livejournal.com/123111.html

I'm old enough to remember that one. Relatives hung around in train terminals all through the storm waiting for news like they do today after an air crash.

Have you guys in the East heard of the Donner Party? That's why they call this Donner Pass.

Al, Vance, etc you guys take care out there.

Wow California... you remember that? - I'd love to hear some stories.

Here are a couple more links to that story and the weather history of Donner Pass. As you'll read... it was a Tucker that finally made it to the streamliner!!!:coolshade
http://www.thestormking.com/donner.pdf

http://www.timwafer.com/Tucker/catswalk.html

Don't worry - I have the utmost respect for the Sierra and am well prepared with chains and recovery gear.

Please take the time to read the articles above - very cool stuff.

Vance

Last edited:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will be at the coffee shop in Auburn by 6:30 I will need a ride from their so if you are for sure not going please let us know.. If no one is going then I will not go I will check my e mail at 4:30 before I leave SAC Hopefully someone is in Auburn to ride with the rest of the way....

Vance

mbsieg said:
Hmmmmmm???? what is everyone thinking?????? Are we going to shoot the moon?????? If I am going to leave SAC in the AM it will have to be very early I am not going to drive on crappy roads in this much traffic......... Let me know everyones thoughts.... I would really like to go but lets not put anyone in danger!!!

Just to make it clear - this is pretty much normal for big storms in the Sierra. No sense in trying to get too early of a start because the crews wait 'til daylight to raise the restrictions anyway. There are about 50 big rigs out on 80 by my house waiting for the roads to open. Just like ususal.

Auburn is 5 miles below the current (and typical) closure at Applegate. I think that our planned departure at 7am is perfect. If it's still closed at that time then we'll have to rethink.

I'll be at Flour Garden and ready to go. This really isn't ANY different than the trip I took this past sunday. Only then the controls were 10 miles higher at Alta...

See you in the am,

Vance

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Here's the best source of detail road info: CHP's live Incident Report. It shows everything that has an officer responding.

URL:
http://cad.chp.ca.gov/then choose Truckee in the upper left box.

Latest:
Incident # 1690Type:Traffic Hazard - VehicleLocation:WB I80 JEO SR20
[in english:WestBound Interstate80 JustEastOf StateRoute20, ie that bad WB up-grade where travel trailers snarl traffic in the summer]
9:03PMCAN HE SEND DRVR W/BIG RIG TOW W/WAY FR NYACK?
9:03PMBIG RIG TOW AT NYACK
9:03PM1021 NYACK, HE IS STUCK IN WB TRAFFIC
9:01PMROLL THE BIG RIG TOWS
8:54PMLINE 2 - MULTIPLE BIG RIGS W/NO CHAINS
8:54PMREQ BIG RIG TOWS

Incident #0026-Chain Control is special, it is a continuously updated log of snow stuff. Currently:
8:32PMWB 80 AT FM JWO YUBA GAP TRAFFIC MOVING SLOWLY CT PUSHER IN AREA TO ASSIST BIG RIGS W/ GAINING TRACTION

Vance said:
Wow California... you remember that? - I'd love to hear some stories.
Vance - I'm not *that* old! I was a litle kid. We listened to updates every hour on the radio and then there were full page articles in the paper when they go them out as I recall. During that era rich people had tv's, the class that would have 50 inch screens today. Not us.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
:D What, you say you didnt have a tv and that you listened to the radio for entertainment and your not old? OK, I am down with that.:D

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well its not looking real good for me and the wife to go . I'll get up at about 4:30 and check road conditions . I use to work for "Kingvale" Caltrans as a blower operator and it will be a miracle if they get the road open that fast . "Whitmore" Caltrans just does not have enough equipment in the barn to move that much snow, that fast and graders can only push and stack snow so much . Even with a big "C" frame or Heeling plows they will be limited . Pack it too tight and it just slows the blowers down to a snails pace . They will have to blow it off the highway now and I think Whitmore only keeps two blowers in the yard . Thats a hell of a lot of snow for two blowers and I'm sure "Kingvale" Caltrans has their hands full over the summit too and can't loan any equipment or manpower down the hill to "Whitmore" Caltrans.

Say a prayer Boys .........because it will be a miracle if they get I-80 opened that fast .

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
May the Lord bless the Caltrans workers into getting off there arses and getting that snow gone so that my Brother BigAl will be able to show the Forums crew he has concord all obsticles in his way Good Lord with your help, and that it is YOUR will God that he comes home victorious in the knowledge he had done so with your help Lord. Cause we all know he is going to need it. AMEN.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
:D What, you say you didnt have a tv and that you listened to the radio for entertainment and your not old? OK, I am down with that.:D
Hey I didn't even have a TV by the time of the Moon Landing. (1968). Wasn't that train thing just a year or two prior? :D