• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

'68 Tucker 442 finds a new home

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
I am lucky enough to be the new owner of the 1968 442A that Track Addict restored so well and memorialized in his thread: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=58603

Tonight I went to Tucker maintenance school and Brian gave me a great overview. The first thing I learned, which you seasoned folks already know, is that it is possible to get a cramp in your hand even when using a powered grease gun :). I am pretty sure I put down more grease tonight than I have in the rest of my years combined. That's a lot of rollers. Thanks for the training Brian and I am looking forward to the test ride in Jackson

Oh and I hope this post works. This forum takes some learning to use. But I hope to get better because I know there is a lot of great knowledge here. More to come soon.

Attachments

• IMG_4205.jpg
    IMG_4205.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,139

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The voyage begins! Hope you all approve of my strap job this time! Front and rear strapped axles.

Attachments

• IMG_6855.jpg
    IMG_6855.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,120

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
I've only 90 rollers left to grease...nice to see some one else getting blowback on those rollers besides me. I finally figured out how to turn the pressure down on my grease gun and it is saving me a lot of grease! Lol!

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
I've only 90 rollers left to grease...nice to see some one else getting blowback on those rollers besides me. I finally figured out how to turn the pressure down on my grease gun and it is saving me a lot of grease! Lol!
Yeah that's a lot of grease. I realize that I am going to need to invest in a pneumatic or electric grease gun. I can't imagine doing that without one.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ontent=37900&gclid=CMGWlt6Yr9ECFZWPswodYqkD_A

Get yourself something like this. Then convince your kid that greasing thousands of Tucker rollers is great fun.

Maybe not. Welcome aboard.

I looked at this northern unit and it looks like it doesnot adapt to a 1/4 drum or 5 gal. pail. Loading this unit will have air pockets in the grease. You do NOT want air pockets as you will have more grease on the floor and every where else as a result. I will take a photo of the unit I use and put it on here later.

PJL

Yep, Lincoln makes good stuff. I have worked in shops that had oil and grease dispensing systems and they sure were time savers.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing like first tracks on a Saturday am! It's fitting right in at its new home.

Attachments

• IMG_6874.jpg
    IMG_6874.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,028

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's looking forward to seeing you next weekend!

Congrats , welcome, and enjoy.

The last pic is a J.Tucker driving your Tucker and through the window is a secret sno cat supporting wife and she is wearing a Tucker hat.

Attachments

• IMG_6883.jpg
    IMG_6883.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_6882.jpg
    IMG_6882.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,027

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
MSD sent you a brand new distributor. Now the question is does it go back in?

Attachments

• IMG_6951.jpg
    IMG_6951.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 959

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the best money spent was my dewalt grease gun. I already had batterys and chargers from other tools buying the gun alone was under 150 bucks

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Few more experienced cats may chime in but per the manual every 200 miles. We don't see that type of mileage recreational use out here. A good routine is to grease at the end of the season so they don't have water sitting in them all summer before parked and your ready for winter. Of course this is the last thing you want to do at the end of a season.

Manual also recommends running for a few "blocks" to get the water out prior to summer storage as well as painting the tracks and metal parts.

So this cat's bearings probably have been done every 25 miles or so if you average it out.

Used many types of grease but Scott's Specials Sauce aka "Lubriplate Low Temp" seems to be the stuff.

Some rollers seem to need more pressure than others due to wear and fitting cleanliness. Have had no issues with hand/pneumatic/electric guns other than the occasional clogged fitting grease in your face explosion! Some need lots of pressure to force in the grease. Think the condition/wear of the roller has much to do with this.

Everybody should try greasing a Roller Tucker with a hand gun at least once in life!

4TrackCat

Site Supporter
Thanks Track Addict- That sounds about right. I've recently completed my first round of greasing (12 tubes) and managed to get most of it in the bearings. :shifty: Whatta chore..lol

I get some water and even some rust out of a few of them. Like mentioned above, you occasionally come across one that is a real bearcat to get to take grease. I'm hopeful that the next round is a bit easier. 35lb pails seems a much better way to go than my handheld pneumatic. Like all of the steel track owners, I am hoping for long life from these rollers and plan to take good care of the ones I have. I've got about 40 miles on them this season so far and expect to get a few more in McCall.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread :whistling:, that 442 is beautiful. Nice work and congrats to it's new owner, Mr. Someday!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used a pneumatic prior to the electric and with the dewalt I have I found that we could do it in about 9 tubes. What I noticed with the electric is the stroke is shorter so less grease with each piston cycle or pull/hold of the trigger. With the pneumatic at some point when you pull the trigger you get the full long grease stroke that you may have only needed a fraction of to fill the roller. More controlled dispensing plus no hose to drag would be the plus.

But you are changing lots of tubes.

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Good insight on the grease. Bummer all my battery tools are Makita and Hitachi and I don't think either has a similar greasegun. I will probably just get the Dewalt with batteries. Seems like the easiest route. And having greased it once with your rig Track Addict, no way I am doing it by hand!

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
I am like a kid with a toy I have been looking at for a week but can't touch. I am hoping to take my first ride in NH tomorrow night or Sat morning. Can't wait!

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Finally got my first official ride in. Didn't happen till 12 am and it's 13 degrees out but fired right up and ran great. Best 0.9 miles I've ever traveled:).

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 633

nikos

Tucker Someday
Finally got my first official ride in. Didn't happen till 12 am and it's 13 degrees out but fired right up and ran great. Best 0.9 miles I've ever traveled.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpg
    IMG_4218.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 608

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Beautiful cold and sunny weekend. Put a few miles on and had a great time. Learned that Tuckers are not easy to turn around on a tight trail. I think I mastered the 17 point turn. I've got some trail widening work to do in the spring.

Attachments

• IMG_4231 (1).jpg
    IMG_4231 (1).jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_4221.jpg
    IMG_4221.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_4231.jpg
    IMG_4231.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 631

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting sticker from a local ski shop. Thought some of you Tucker folks might appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_4245.jpg
    IMG_4245.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 562

Tucker Someday

GOLD Site Supporter
Got a little Tucker time in this morning before skiing. Have to play Justin Timberlake for this crew but that's a fair trade.

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 523