• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BURGER KING ~ moving corp to Canada, people are boycotting???

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently people are whining and boycotting Burger King for "tax dodging." The company plans to reincorporate in Canada where the corp. tax rate is lower. (roughly 40% in the USA versus roughly 29% in Canada).

For those boycotting:
Those aren't "our" tax dollars. They aren't "your" tax dollars. The money stolen from Burger King in the form of taxation is THEIR money and no one else's.

So go for it, Burger King. Move and make a point that the US tax rates are absurd. They're harmful to the economy and we need serious tax reform. You sure as hell have my support and I hope you have the support of everyone fed up with over taxation. I think I'll go get a BK Stacker and a coke icee right now.

Oh, and if Burger King is being Un-American by attempting to FOLLOW THE LAW and keep as much of its income as it can, then how is it that Warren Buffet, who is actually putting up $3.0 BILLION dollars to help Burger King buy out Tim Hortons Donuts and do the 'corporate inversion' is still a GREAT AMERICAN? Hypocrites anyone?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the people bitching are afraid they may have to pick up the slack for the lost income. that's what they get for expecting the folks who work hard and make something of them self's, to foot the bill for all the social programs they expect the government to provide.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
BK will still pay U.S. taxes on all earnings IN the U.S.

why should they (or anyone) have to pay U.S. taxes on money earned in (say) England?:bonk:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Burger King is just a name on a piece of stock that 1000's of folks from all over the world own . I bet not one of those bitching own a single share of stock . If they did they would want Burger King management to look for any and everyway to earn them a profit on their investment . The bitchers are losers who want to depend on tax dollars to live . Basically they are ticks on society .

I say good for Burger King . Its a smart move on their part . More companies need to follow suit to send a clear message to government saying

" We have had enough !!!"

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I'll bet that a bunch of the people bitching are owners of Mutual Funds that have shares of Burger King buried inside the fund and the owners have no f****** clue that they own the very stock they are complaining about.

People demand excellent returns on their investments but then they complain about the very companies they own as being un-American.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree Bob . But I still believe the majority of complainers are low life ticks who just want the Government to pay for everything they have . Much like Labor unions in the US that demand higher wages for lower production and more perks . A good non union man will kick a unions mans work ethics every time .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of unions did you notice that AFL CIO head Richard Trumka is calling for Obama to make a BOLD MOVE on illegal immigration amnesty? I'm still trying to figure out why unions would want a bunch of illegals given amnesty. Who would be the likely people to take union jobs by undercutting the union wages but people who are used to even lower wages? Seems to me that Trumka is hurting his own members, the people who pay his salary, by pushing for a "bold move" in immigration for the illegals.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Think about it .... He is more interested in getting more members than the high wages of members . The unions are dying and need a influx of new members to survive . Who else would be a better target than low wage immigrant workers . They are scared shitless half the time that government will take away their jobs and send them home . The union backing their staying in the US would be a huge relief and a positive cash flow source for unions . Look at the hotel workers union in Las Vegas for example . Mostly Mexicans who have nothing to go home to if they are deported .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But why would the illegals join the unions?

I had bids for a new roof a few years back. They were all from highly recommended contractors. They all used EXACTLY THE SAME shingles, tar paper, etc. The recommendations came from the material supplier that I was using. The prices ranged from just over $13,000 to a couple that were over $20,000. Guess which one was the non-union bid? Guess which one I chose? And if you were an employee who worked for the guy who got the contract then why would you join the union ... by doing so you guarantee that you sit on the sidelines while others undercut you and get the jobs.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds like an exception to the rule , Usually Unions shops are always more expensive than non union .

In 1964 my Dad was a union Contractor , but on moving to Grass Valley , a very small town , he found he could not complete with the non union shops . He decided to go non union instead of moving the family to a larger area where the unions were strong at that time .Thank God !!!
There is a lot of ass sitting by union members . They are not employeed year around so they demand more wages to offset the slack time they have . If a union member is caught working a non union job he is thrown out of the union and loses all his benefits, pensions etc.
San Francisco is a heavy union town and just look at housing labor cost to get an idea of how overpriced they are .

40 Years ago I worked on the non union side for a big house developer . We had union and non union crews . On one house 4 union guys showed up and demanded I get my ass off the job , which I did . They took 5 days to put the finish interior in the house including cabinets and tops .
The next house the big boss said I would be installing the finish package myself . Total time for me to complete the same house design was 23 hours from start to finish and I was the only guy . Do you think the union guys were milking the job ? The boss thought so and fired everyone of the guys:clap: .
The unions are in big trouble and they know it . They need a influx of new people . Most will never see a union pension as they will move on to other jobs . The unions see this as easy money . Sure these guys make great wages while they are working but they pay union dues 24/7/365 whether they work or not . I bet not 3% of those illegals ever collects a dime of pension money when its all done .

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was unclear. The $13,000 was the non-union. The two bids at/over $20K were the union shops.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry Bob , I should have read your reply a little better .

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds like an exception to the rule , Usually Unions shops are always more expensive than non union .

In 1964 my Dad was a union Contractor , but on moving to Grass Valley , a very small town , he found he could not complete with the non union shops . He decided to go non union instead of moving the family to a larger area where the unions were strong at that time .Thank God !!!
There is a lot of ass sitting by union members . They are not employeed year around so they demand more wages to offset the slack time they have . If a union member is caught working a non union job he is thrown out of the union and loses all his benefits, pensions etc.
San Francisco is a heavy union town and just look at housing labor cost to get an idea of how overpriced they are .

40 Years ago I worked on the non union side for a big house developer . We had union and non union crews . On one house 4 union guys showed up and demanded I get my ass off the job , which I did . They took 5 days to put the finish interior in the house including cabinets and tops .
The next house the big boss said I would be installing the finish package myself . Total time for me to complete the same house design was 23 hours from start to finish and I was the only guy . Do you think the union guys were milking the job ? The boss thought so and fired everyone of the guys:clap: .
The unions are in big trouble and they know it . They need a influx of new people . Most will never see a union pension as they will move on to other jobs . The unions see this as easy money . Sure these guys make great wages while they are working but they pay union dues 24/7/365 whether they work or not . I bet not 3% of those illegals ever collects a dime of pension money when its all done .

"They are not employeed year around so they demand more wages to offset the slack time they have . If a union member is caught working a non union job he is thrown out of the union and loses all his benefits, pensions etc. "

This is the first I heard of loosing all benefits. Even previously earned ones??

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
First question, is anyone here able to believe that Burger King will pass that tax savings along in the form of a reduction in price of product? I didn't think so.

Second question, do corporations pay tax anyway? Isn't it just added into cost of goods sold and passed on to the working stiffs that are really paying the taxes as a kind of hidden tax? I am not an accountant, I frequently wonder if tax isn't considered a cost and profit isn't a percentage of cost.

So, in conclusion, yes the stockholders, Buffet being one of them, will get more.

I also read that Horton's makes more money than Burger King and they don't want to piss ought the Canadians. Seems like a win win to me. LOL

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
could not give 2 chits less. let 'em leave. we have not got a single local one. they're here, in regions not w/in my realm, & not in districts i'd choose to spend time in fer lunch. yet i get coupons incessantly. wtf. spend $$ on sending mass mail to consumers that cannot consume your items, as there is not a local restaurant~ slick one, BK. really f-king intelligent.
i'll stick w/ wendy's. food's better. service is, too, in certain areas. so is arby's. & arby's sucks, sans a few items. so that's saying none too much 4 BK.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The way I see it, if enough companies leave the US then maybe the damn politicians will finally wake the f*** up and finally reform the tax code.

And by reform the tax code I don't mean add another 1000 pages to it. I mean take a fresh look at it and fix it so we can understand it, make it so companies WANT TO COME to the US, make it so CITIZENS don't want to be tax cheats.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
road awhy should they (or anyone) have to pay U.S. taxes on money earned in (say) England?:bonk:[/QUOTE said:
As long as you pay your taxes on what you earn here in the £££ i dont care shit what you pay when it gets back to the US.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
could not give 2 chits less. let 'em leave. we have not got a single local one. they're here, in regions not w/in my realm, & not in districts i'd choose to spend time in fer lunch. yet i get coupons incessantly. wtf. spend $$ on sending mass mail to consumers that cannot consume your items, as there is not a local restaurant~ slick one, BK. really f-king intelligent.
i'll stick w/ wendy's. food's better. service is, too, in certain areas. so is arby's. & arby's sucks, sans a few items. so that's saying none too much 4 BK.

You must live in a high class neighborhood that doesn't allow food places where commoners eat. Brings down the property values. Wendy's is a class outfit with their square burgers chili con carne.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I live in the land of timmies. That's what everyone up here calls Tim Hortons on every block in the city there's either a timmies or a robins donuts. Most have a drive through window. They don't just serve coffee and donuts. They also have sandwiches and soups. As for burger king buying them out, I only hope that they don't mess with the winning formula that's made timmies so successful up here. We have one burger king in the city. I ate there once. Gave me the runs for 3 days. Won't go back. Same thing with McDonald's or Wendy's. I refuse to eat there.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I live in the land of timmies. That's what everyone up here calls Tim Hortons on every block in the city there's either a timmies or a robins donuts. Most have a drive through window. They don't just serve coffee and donuts. They also have sandwiches and soups. As for burger king buying them out, I only hope that they don't mess with the winning formula that's made timmies so successful up here. We have one burger king in the city. I ate there once. Gave me the runs for 3 days. Won't go back. Same thing with McDonald's or Wendy's. I refuse to eat there.

If anything, I would see the BK's adopting the coffee program from TH. The foods are different, the customers are generally different. It would be foolish for BK to try to meld the two into a combo-restaurant. Better option would be to let TH be TH and let BK be BK. But since the BK coffee program is, at best, a weak offering and since the TH coffee is so well respected, I would be logical for the TH coffee to be introduced into the US based BK stores, where a good coffee program is needed.

Obviously a lot of back room and logistics operations could be combined. No need for 2 separate truck fleets, 2 separate sets of freezer/warehouses, 2 sets of corporate offices, etc. But that will aid in reducing costs, not in melding the 2 different chains into 1 new chain.

There are many examples of multi-brand operations. Each brand retains its own face to the public, each retains its own identity and character. Behind the brand the logistics are combined. Simple concept.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
You must live in a high class neighborhood that doesn't allow food places where commoners eat. Brings down the property values. Wendy's is a class outfit with their square burgers chili con carne.

there is not fast food in my area, plain & simple. we have places that sell food that they make themselves. last place i lived; same deal- except there was a rita's there. pizza was/is not franchised, nor was asian food, or french food or other sorts of places. food places're simply owned by individuals. other areas have franchise abound- i recently got food brought to me from one by my nurse. then he took me to one.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
there is not fast food in my area, plain & simple. we have places that sell food that they make themselves. last place i lived; same deal- except there was a rita's there. pizza was/is not franchised, nor was asian food, or french food or other sorts of places. food places're simply owned by individuals. other areas have franchise abound- i recently got food brought to me from one by my nurse. then he took me to one.
i went due to his insisting i have a meal. he was trying to be kind. sheesh. i'm so not sorry that they have not got burger pushers in my area. they're usually run by teenagers that cannot remember to put egg on an egg mcpuffins. so, yeah, i generally shun these places nowadaze.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
$13K - $20K for a roof? :eek:
I paid $8,000.00 for a tear off and application of Certainteed 30 year dimensional shingles and 3' of ice guard at the gutter line (120' of gutters). My roof is 26 squares plus valleys, starters & ridge caps on a custom colonial...about 2 additional square allowed. Landfill costs included. Bids ranged from $7-11K for the same specs. All were open shop roofers, insured & bonded, and included city permit & inspection. The high bidder made the mistake of telling me my roof was 32 squares plus the additional...he didn't know that I designed the house and supplied the builder with the construction drawings and bill of materials.

Prices for re-roofs are all over the board here in NE Ohio, and those who don't seek multiple bids and check references usually get screwed. Caveat emptor.