• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Prayer request for Dargo's father, injured in light plane crash

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo's dad was involved in a light plane crash and is in pretty rough shape. I don't have all the details but I've seen images of what is left of the wreckage of his ultra-light. The plane looked more like a pancake than an aircraft. Its pretty much a miracle that his dad survived the crash, he's in intensive care and among many other injuries it appears that he has a broken back, broken ribs, other borken bones around his body and various internal injuries too.

You may want to take a few moments to send some kind thoughts to Brent's family in this time of stress while his father begins a long road to recovery.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all. I really appreciate your kind words. I just came home for a quick break before I go back to the hospital. He is still in intensive care and not a very happy camper after being placed in a "turtle shell" brace after his back surgery yesterday. The FAA has allowed me to store what is left of his aircraft in my barn so it will be out of the weather as they continue their investigation.

They first wrote it off to "pilot inexperience and pilot error". However, after closer investigation, it looks like one blade on the two bladed prop cracked and about a 2" piece broke off of the end of it in flight. It appears as if that piece cut the cable controlling the flap on the right wing as it passed through the wing. The aircraft would have been shaking violently and impossible to control I'm told. The prop is a "Warp Speed" brand which is generally considered a high quality prop. The investigation continues.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, be thankful he is able to be grumpy!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The plane can be replaced, Dad can't.
It's encouraging that he made it through the surgery, Brent.
Speedy recovery to him!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again all. Just came home for a bit. He's still in ICU, so things stay quite busy in there. I hadn't realized that other than being born, the only time he's ever been in a hospital was to visit me after me breaking body parts. Strict confinement in ICU and his body cast is really starting to get to him.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
still in icu. surgeries finished for now. internal organs are not all functioning properly. again, i thank all sincerely for the prayers and kind words.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, sounds like a mixture of good and bad news but your dad is in the best place he can be right now considering his injuries. Healing takes time. Keep up your (and his) spirits and let his body heal itself.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think today is the day I get to meet with the FAA. It's my understanding that I broke some rules by removing my father from a downed aircraft, removing the fuel tank, removing the battery and physically ripping parts of the aircraft apart to get to him. Since I've been working on one of my rent houses, I had a 36 volt DeWalt saws all in my truck and, once I removed any fire danger, I was liberal in the use of cutting away whatever I had to.

I'll take any fee, fine or other punishment if that is what it takes. And, to be honest, I'd do the same thing again. I'm sure I'm probably wrong, but it is my impression that you can see what has been cut away vs what has been bent and twisted. The plane was (it's no longer a flying machine) a 'pusher' type, with the prop in the rear and mounted high up. Apparently, as per training, when there is a violent vibration, my father shut off the engine. Nothing in the cockpit has been touched and the engine power switch was in the off position, the throttle was pulled back to idle and the "emergency button" (I don't know what it's really called, but you push it if you are unable to radio for help and a crash is imminent, was pressed.

I tried to crop the photo on my cell phone since I don't know how to do so on a Mac, and I think the cause of the crash is reasonably clear. I'm told that the piece missing from the prop made a thin slice through the right wing and cleanly sliced the control cables inside that wing. Sorry I'm not a pilot and am not using proper aviation verbiage, but I think you get the idea. The only consolation is that it makes my dad feel better when he knows it wasn't pilot error and he was told Chuck Yeager could not have landed that plane with only 250' of altitude with no power or controls.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.PNG
    IMG_0593.PNG
    271 KB · Views: 107

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The FAA is another agency out of control if you can't stabilize a crashed aircraft and remove occupants immediately after a crash. I'd fight them on that one.

Who moved the wreck to where it is now (sitting on wood)?

How's your Dad doing today? Any change?