• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stress questions result in revocation of carry permit/license

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can not confirm or deny validity .............. It was forwarded to friend that stated he was just ask the same questions upon his last VA visit. I do know that some doctors of late have been asking children if there are guns in the home for what it's worth.

From a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:

I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:

1. Did I feel stressed?

2. Did I feel threatened?

3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have?

Be forewarned and be aware.

The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner veteran or not, you've been warned. If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.

mak2

Absolute BS, screening for suicide. Ever heard of HIPPA? OMG let them come for your firearms, you would be rich when they got them. Then you could buy firearms as nice as Bob's.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tend to agree with Mak on this, very likely to be BS. There might, in SOME states, be issues where this could maybe (but unlikely) lead to revoking a carry permit.

I guess what I'm saying is I won't say ABSOLUTELY its BS. But I think its highly UNLIKELY to be true. And if it is true then I suspect it will be true only in a "shall issue" state that has all sorts of restrictions on carry to begin with.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Absolute BS, screening for suicide. Ever heard of HIPPA? OMG let them come for your firearms, you would be rich when they got them. Then you could buy firearms as nice as Bob's.

Would you allow someone a carry permit if they said yes to any of those questions especially the last one? I think is absolutely plausible or at least reported to some kind of LE.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Would you allow someone a carry permit if they said yes to any of those questions especially the last one? I think is absolutely plausible or at least reported to some kind of LE.

I would agree with Mak2; informing any LE of a positive answer to any of these questions would be a serious violation of HIPPA regulations. Even if true, why Homeland Security for gosh sakes? The FBI might make some sense, but not much even there. CCW licenses are issued by the states, and (at least in this state) those registers are not shared with the feds. Considering how well the states and feds coordinate/share information, the odds of matching-up this data seem rather slim.

Taken altogether, I'd have to consider this highly implausible.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this one is a grey area.

As I recall, many state laws mandate that caregivers have to notify police in cases where the patients care is related to a potential crime. The straightforward ones are gunshot wounds and stabbings. Domestic violence is a tough call. If the patient states it was domestic violence, the hospital calls police. If they determine that it was domestic violence contrary to what the patient states (e.g. "I fell down the stairs") it goes into a gray area.

State laws may be contradictory to HIPAA regulations.

In the OP, if the answer is "yes" to question 3, "3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?", by state law, the caregiver may be required to report this to Law Enforcement.

I don't believe these can be used to pull a persons carry permit.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Never give them answers to questions like this. The medical records system is a big well distributed machine and what you say will come back to bite you. I have experienced this myself. It will also keep you from getting life insurance. Anymore I just tell them I am happy and glad Obummer is letting me keep my guns!:whistling: Our Sheriff actually liked that response when I renewed in March. :clap:

Smoke King

Banned
Never give them answers to questions like this. The medical records system is a big well distributed machine and what you say will come back to bite you.

Concur. I have experienced this first hand. I was a "guest" of the State for over a month based on my answers to these questions and others like it. Seriously.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah they hold against you what you say when you are under a clinically induced binge. I gave them the answers the judge wanted to hear to get the hell out of there. Then they screwed me big time a few years down the road. I got it expunged but it cost me a bundle and I am sure it is still on a record somewhere.

mak2

OK, I cant speak for all the VA's, but I know for a fact at ours, if you were a fleeing felon, "they" stongly discouraged us reporting them seeking treatment. As in, someone comeing to the ER wanted for big felony, if we called our Police, they would not touch him, we had to call locals. If our patiet said they were going home to kill someone or themselves we are, and always have been, required to report that. But if you guys just wanna be paranoid, go ahead.

SShepherd

like has been said...........it goes on your MEDICAL RECORD

what happens when you go for a renewal for your lic...background check, medical record check for mental illness- oh guess what.YOU ARE REJECTED.

at that point, I would guess it would be on record with the FBI, not allowing you to buy a firearm.
Remember the questions on the yellow form. "Have you been diagnosed with a mental illness"

it's a felony if you lie:mellow:

Mak you say paranoia, others could easily say you have your head in the sand.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How I Prevent People Accessing my medical records. That is how I view it. If I don't say it they can't repeat it or fax it. Anything else will be on a disc somewhere. Same goes for insurance companies. Make a report let alone file a claim and it will follow you to the grave.