• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow blowers....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It snowed again last night, and with it came the wind. My drive way is about 300' long, and is/was about 30" deep in the slot that I have been maintaining. We have a 200 hp blade tractor, but it is 2 miles away. So I get out my trusty Troy Built "storm" TRACKED blower. For just 10hp and 28" of cut, one can move quite a bit of snow in a short time with less than a gallon of gas. The snow drifts were pretty soft, and I could easily move slowly through snow that was above the top of the blower. The excesss simply caved off and fell down on the tracks. I have the drift cutters all the way up this year! Most of my lane was at least 30" deep!

Now I have never owned a walk behind snow blower with tires and chains before, But I have to imagine that they would be more work to run than the tracked one. The tracked version has steering cluches, and 3 positions for the cutting edge of the blower. High works for paths on grass for the dogs to run on, normal for the driveway (tracks level with cutting edge) and down preasure that picks the front of the track frame slightly, putting the machines weight on the cutter, for side walks. Slick.:wink: One hand operation they claim. Some times you could I am sure. In the deep heavy stuff in low gear it is amazing how good the tracks hook up. I cann't imagine that a wheeled one with chains could do this type of work as easily. I have had this machine for 8 years now, and every winter I sure am glad to have it! It is made under several brand names, by a company known as MTD.

Any one else here have one of these? and are you as impressed by it as I am....

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My snowblower is mounted to the back of my tractor.

Its a wonderful thing!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

I am embarssed to tell you my rear mount snow blower is in a snow drift with another piece of machinery in front of it.:sad: Winter came this year just as we finished farming, and I did not take the time to get it out and put on a tractor. Sure am wishing I would have at this point. The only bad part of a rear mount is your neck at the end of the day.:doh: And keeping the rear window so you can see out of it.

Regards, Kirk

Mtn-Track

Considering where you posted this, it begs the question;

Who needs a snowblower when we have Sno-Cats?:brows:

Unless you happen to own a Kristi.....then I understand.:doh:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am shopping for one......The right one.:brows:

If only the guy would trade it off!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Considering where you posted this, it begs the question;

Who needs a snowblower when we have Sno-Cats?:brows:

Unless you happen to own a Kristi.....then I understand.:doh:

I would like to nominate this for the "funniest post of the month" award :yum: Do we have such an award here? If not then I propose we start one :smile:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Three reasons to post this here....:whistling:

It has TRACKS!:clap:

It has steering cluches for turning...:brows:

It is usefull only in snow!!!:smile:

A "walk behind" snow cat with a snow blower in front of it.:glare::yum::yum:

Oh yea, The wife likes to be able to walk out into the yard.......

Dang thing sure works good:smile::smile::smile:

mtmogs

What's wrong with having both?

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 342

mtmogs

... or more than one?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYku0xoAmh4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYku0xoAmh4[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i have a 10 hp with wheels no chains i have run them with chains imho you need chains or tracks other wise the 10 horse walk behind does a great job chomping through drifts larger than the reel housing. the only probem i see is you let some one use it and it gets broke like now good thing i have a snow cat.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I just finished clearing the driveway with my 10hp 28" Ariens. That thing blows! Literally. If I set the shute all the way up, it'll move the snow 30-40ft. Ran it through 2ft snowdrifts tonight like a hot knife through butter without missing a beat. No chains on the tires. Considering putting some on so there's less spinning when I'm cutting through a drift.

benz9

:brows:I have one for sale... Got myself a plow now and she's working just right. How far is Iowa from Canada? J.k. Got some snow here too...must be leftovers from Groomerguys neck of the woods. You shouldn't hog all the snow, dude! This is what we woke up to this morning. That's one Canadian inch of snow (even used a twin system ruler, I knew there would be a wise crack otherwise).

Attachments

• DSCF2854.jpg
    DSCF2854.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 271

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
The best snowblower I ever used was the front mount blower on my little Kubota BX2230. That think kicked a$$. I sold it when I moved to the larger property and upgraded to an L3400 Kubota. I do miss that little tractor and wish I could have kept it.

Now I remove snow with an 8000# Dodge Cummins Truck with a 9' Hiniker plow. Much more comfy than an open tractor on a 1/2 mile long driveway...

Attachments

• Work_Lights_On.jpg
    Work_Lights_On.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 277