• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Building a Garage

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The thread on shop size over at NTT has me scratching my head, so it's prompted this thread. I'm asking for help here so consider what you say prevalent!

I'm planning on building a garage (metal building, not a pole barn) in the spring. Current plan is a 48x36x>10. I want to put a car lift in and have it house 2 cars. One for storage and one for everyday use. I'm figuring 1/3 for the shop area. 1/3 for the 2 vehicles and a 1/3 for the toys (Harley, 2 quads, garden tractor etc..). I still have the barn for tractor and implements. I wanted 2400 sqft (40x60) but I couldn't put it were I wanted it without taking out trees, I don't want to do that. Considered a 2 story structurally sound to drive into the second story but financially I can't justify the added cost (one story has to be 10ft for the lift with no lower trusses.

I ain't a carpenter so any ideas are welcome!!!

I'd like to put up 4 courses of block and set a 48x36x8 metal building on it. I'm in the early stages so any advice is welcome!!!

LarryRB

Today I will be making the last forms for my neighbor,, He had/has similar issues, Because he has such a small lot, one acre,, he was forced to order a 35 wide by 45 deep at 12 feet,, I've already prepped the floor base area, Once the forms are poured and hardened, I will dig these back up, backfill and pour the floor, Where he is putting a 4 post lift, I have the prepped floor at 8" thick. This is two rows parallell, 8" thick by 24" wide by 20 ft long. Rest of the floor avg 4" thick. While building the outer floor forms we will start standing up the bldg if the delivery comes on time..

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today I will be making the last forms for my neighbor,, He had/has similar issues, Because he has such a small lot, one acre,, he was forced to order a 35 wide by 45 deep at 12 feet,, I've already prepped the floor base area, Once the forms are poured and hardened, I will dig these back up, backfill and pour the floor, Where he is putting a 4 post lift, I have the prepped floor at 8" thick. This is two rows parallell, 8" thick by 24" wide by 20 ft long. Rest of the floor avg 4" thick. While building the outer floor forms we will start standing up the bldg if the delivery comes on time..

A heads up, thanks on re-enforced floor on lift area.

LarryRB

To add, my neighbor bought from Heritage buildings. His is 35 X 45 X 12 ft high.. Total cost delivered is $18,000. This includes two 36" man doors, two 10 ft wide by 8 high electric operated doors and the middle door being 10 X 10 ft. The 10 ft door, is also where the lift will go. I figure $2500 in concrete, his electric is free or almost free, (son in law is an electrician) and to date, he hasn't thought of how to heat this in the future, I tried talking him into laying PEX tubing in the floor and have it ready for the future, but, to no avail. Heritage also is sending the wrap insulation, all doors, etc etc with the package,.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
I'm in the process of building a 30x50x12 pole type shop. We'll be setting trusses next week. I wanted to go 40x60 but the cost of that much more concrete and metal scared me off. So, since I'm going smaller than I wanted, I'm using attic trusses instead of regular trusses. That will give me around 600 sf of storage upstairs. I'll be doing the reinforcement for the lift and also running tubing for water and drain pipe for the future.
Make sure you figure out your door size ahead of time. I set my poles for 2 9' wide doors, but now I've decided I'd be better off with 10' width. I'm trying to decide the best way to go about changing this now, or if it's too much trouble. Hutch

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd already decided on 2 10" doors figuring trailer (width) and tractor (height) occasionally. 48 foot side being the front with the lift center stall. I get more height due to roof pitch and probably go 4x12 with that. Definitely doing radiant heat with a gas (free ... :)) water heater.

Great feedback ya'll, keep it coming ............. :thumb:

BTW, I got one serious quote at approx. 20K. No electrics with the 2 garage doors but 4" insulation, windows (7) and 6 skylights.