• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Not so much an accident as an enigma...

Lia

Banned
er... not too sure if this is the correct forum for my thread, but I unreservedly apologize if it is not.

A few years ago I was late for an appointment, I had to pick up someone, and knew I was late, so I was kinda over the limit by about 5m per hour maybe... the road was wide and clear and smooth, two way traffic, and the area was barren except for a large bowling alley coming up on my left, (was driving in England by the way, I live there for most of the year)

In any event, there was a light, fine rain, but nothing bad enuff to obscure my vision, and so I don't know why I did not notice a brand new, red shiny car ahead that had apparently stopped in the centre of the road. There was no other traffic on the road, it was a rural area, kinda between towns.

I don't know why it, the other car, was stationary; he was not indicating to turn, and as I sped up to it I realised that I was gonna hit it, hard. There looked to be an elderly guy driving, no passengers, and, he... just, sat there. He must have seen me coming up behind... I stood on the brakes, but to no avail, I hit him, and heard the glass from his rear lights break. I mean, it wasn't a hard crash, just enuff to damage his rear end, but all the same... I was shocked. However, I'm also rather laid back, and so for a second or two I just kept my hands on the steering wheel, rested my forehead on them and thought, 'Ohhh pooh!' or words to that effect. ://

The bowling alley was some metres from the road, but people inside heard the crash, and came out to rubberneck... dozens of 'em. Yet, as I looked up, expecting to be confronted by an irate driver, all I saw, to my bemusement and astonishment, was a clear road ahead of me. That car must have had wings. It had vanished so fast. The onlookers told me that he had hightailed it out of there without so much as looking behind him.

I couldn't believe it. I was totally blown away by the other driver's actions. I went to the police station to report the accident, and admitted that I was at fault, but they told me that unless they recieved a formal complaint from the other driver, there was nothing really they could do. The actually let me off with a warning about driving without due care and caution, and I never heard any more about it.

They did say that the other car might have been stolen, but I wasn't buying that for a second. As an Artist, I am very observant, and not least when in a crisis, and this guy was far too distinguished looking, even from the back, to be a car stealer.

What does anyone make of that?

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I once had an 18 wheeler smack me in the back of my old 85 suburban. He launched me about 20 ft from where I was waiting to make a left turn into my road. As I had a case of beer in the cooler and an open one in my lap I got out, looked at my vehicle and his truck and told him "this is your lucky day" and went on home. Only damage to mine thanks to a real stout frame mounted hitch was it took out a tail light bulb and cracked the lens which I crazy glued.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Lia i think Mule is right with the drunk driver idea.....by the way what part of the UK do you occupy when there??

Lia

Banned
Of course there was damage to my car Treefriend! There was glass all over the road.

I'm sort of south west when in residence Galvatron. And I do I agree with you... muleman probably hit on the exact reason for the other driver to have fled the scene.

I simply cannot believe that the car was stolen, I don't know why, just intuition I guess. The guy looked too well dressed, well groomed. I know I could only see the back of him but, I dunno, it was just a 'feeling.'

Lia

Banned
Well I once had an 18 wheeler smack me in the back of my old 85 suburban. He launched me about 20 ft from where I was waiting to make a left turn into my road. As I had a case of beer in the cooler and an open one in my lap I got out, looked at my vehicle and his truck and told him "this is your lucky day" and went on home. Only damage to mine thanks to a real stout frame mounted hitch was it took out a tail light bulb and cracked the lens which I crazy glued.

Gosh! An 18 wheeler? You could have been killed. You are one lucky guy, but, then so was the other driver.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
He was rolling with 80,000lbs and smoked his tires for about 150 ft. down the hill till he hit me. I know he did more damage to his $400 bumper on the front of that Peterbuilt from my trailer ball than he did to mine. It had a huge dent in it.