• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alarm system

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've had a rash of B&E's (breaking and enterings) lately.

They're catching them but for every one jailed, another appears.

I want to put a couple alarms out.

Main concern is the man door (standard 36" door) on my main building/workshop as it's a weak point. I'm thinking of a proximity alarm and an entry alarm. If you're in outside the door without resetting something within 20 seconds, the alarm sounds. Once the door is open, you have 15 seconds to reset that one.

Any advise? I may expand to other buildings and the house but I need to be careful as the kids wander.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe the signs warning that you have an alarm system help also. I also like the announcers in the driveway. While not an alarm, put in the right spot it is noticible. Folks up to no good see things like that, so it can help deter the criminals.
Good luck Brian.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, no offense but screw the signs. Nice but not assured.

I want to give the perp 15-30 seconds to consider his actions and "fully" exercise his escape.

99% of those around me know the noise that comes from my back yard (a lot of lead being sent down range) and know the rules. The other 1% need to understand not to F with me.

Give me a 120 Db alarm and I'll be able to respond within seconds.

Not out to hurt anyone but I sure as heck want the Shi! scared out of them from an alarm as they hear me in the distance (cha-ching as the shotgun goes, "Get 'em Duke, Kill him Scorch" as I call out the dogs...).

humor_me

Doc said:
I believe the signs warning that you have an alarm system help also. I also like the announcers in the driveway. While not an alarm, put in the right spot it is noticible. Folks up to no good see things like that, so it can help deter the criminals.
Good luck Brian.

Trouble is, according to a police friend of mine, IF they see it, and can get to it (the alarm box), they can fill it with that expanding foam and all the noise it will make is a fart or so.

:2gunsfiri :fart2: :1062:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Signs are the most effective deterrent for the casual burglar. Then noise and light are the second best deterrents. Now, if you are determined that you want to confront them in the act and not give them any way out, you are a fool. You might believe that you can out shoot them, but there is a strong chance that you might be the one lying on the ground at the end of the shoot out. Even if you are not the one at the loosing end, then you will have the legal system to deal with. Will your actions be seen as reasonable? Was he armed and was he a threat to you or your family? Personally, I rather loose a few tools than to spend tens of thousands of dollars defending myself in a court room, even if I am found not guilty in the end. Your home, your choice, but at the end of the confrontation, there are still going to be a lot of answers that will be needed to save your hide afterwards..... Just let us know where to send the cake with the hack saw blade.....

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm a big believer is signs and noise and light. Warn them before they enter, if they try, then sirens and lights to help them decide to get the hell out of there. I don't want to contront them. I want to make them choose an easier target.

Radio Shack has complete alarm systems for sale, you buy the parts you need and nothing extra. I don't have one, but I do have a very sophisticated multi-zone alarm, multiple sub panels, the ablitiy to set up any of 3 structures or all three and each with multiple zones. I honestly don't see anything that my system does that I could not duplicate at Radio Shack with the possible exception of some of the wireless features I have. Alarms are really fairly simple if you can string wire and many have very advanced features that can be programmed into them. Use the alarm, but avoid the criminals.

BoneheadNW

After installing all the gizmos, if they still make it into the shop, how about something subtle, like a bear trap? That would ensure that they would still be there for you to catch them in the act.

Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Screw the bear trap, just put a bear in yer garage, thatll scare the sheite outta the wannabies!