• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help!!!!! I'm making a balloon racecar

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
The rules are that you use household items no toy parts.
So, I have a toothpaste box, bamboo skewers, straws, duct tape, masking tape and I've tried sewing machine bobbins for wheels and CDs. The car went no where with either of these. The CD wheels bowed out like knock knees. I'm trying the milk jug lids now. Anyone done one of these? I need some suggestions about aerodynamics, here. Oh, darn. Only 2 lids them same size. I think I'm going to rig up a tri wheel. :pray:

Now, I'm wounded! I just stabbed myself in the hand drlling a hole in the $&!* cap!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The rules are that you use household items no toy parts.
So, I have a toothpaste box, bamboo skewers, straws, duct tape, masking tape and I've tried sewing machine bobbins for wheels and CDs. The car went no where with either of these. The CD wheels bowed out like knock knees. I'm trying the milk jug lids now. Anyone done one of these? I need some suggestions about aerodynamics, here. Oh, darn. Only 2 lids them same size. I think I'm going to rig up a tri wheel. :pray:

Now, I'm wounded! I just stabbed myself in the hand drlling a hole in the $&!* cap!
*passes CG a band- aid*
:mrgreen:
Is this an experiment with the kiddos?

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
Go get a box of those orange flavored Push Up Pops. The plastic bottom and stick will provide you with one wheel and axle per pop.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I need some of what 1B1S1B (Tanked) was having last night
....a little for anticeptic and the rest for mind numbing!

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Go get a box of those orange flavored Push Up Pops. The plastic bottom and stick will provide you with one wheel and axle per pop.

I may just do that in the morning. I'm about to test drive the tri wheel.
Dang project looks so frickin' easy on paper! First test drive...fine by manual push but when we tried to juice it with the balloon, it just sat there!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I may just do that in the morning. I'm about to test drive the tri wheel.
Dang project looks so frickin' easy on paper! First test drive...fine by manual push but when we tried to juice it with the balloon, it just sat there!
LOL!!!!

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
and where is CB during this ordeal? Why he's tucked into bed all nice and cozy!:censored:

Nah, I'm really not mad at him. He has to be up at 4a.m.
It's the son who needs a beating for waiting til the last minute to tell me about the project

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
What kind of balloon are you using? How is it exhausting? Is the air coming directly from the balloon or do you have it coming out of a tube connected to the mouth of the balloon? Bamboo skewers are kind of rough. Try a little baby oil on the axles.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter

Look at these. do you think these kids made them all by their little lonesomes? Check out this one. It's Tinkerbell's uterus.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
What kind of balloon are you using? How is it exhausting? Is the air coming directly from the balloon or do you have it coming out of a tube connected to the mouth of the balloon? Bamboo skewers are kind of rough. Try a little baby oil on the axles.

a green 12" balloon....no wait.....

That's a condom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just kidding. It's a round green balloon.

We tried the straw attached with duct tape to the mouth of the balloon and it inflated with no problem. Then I poked a hole in the top of the box and fed the balloon out the back. So, now the car farts but it won't go anywhere.

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
The 2 most important things to remember are to reduce weight and friction. If you have to get a hole punch and turn it into swiss cheese.

American Woman

Site Supporter
awwww,my boys are the same way tonight.
You know....I never thought that avatar fit you....until tonight :yum:
Next time you get after me in a PM I'll pay more attention :shock:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I should have been taking pictures to post of Demo #1 and Demo #2. They are demolished. Maybe I need bigger wheels on the back. They are milk jug twist on caps. Maybe 1.5- in diameter. The front wheel is a twist cap for a vitamin bottle. it is larger maybe 2" in diameter. We made an extension off the front with the bamboo scewers that came off the front like a chopper thinking the length would compensate for the smaller wheels in back. Yeah, I know, the larger wheels should be in back with the smaller wheel up front. But, hey, I'm working with what I got. I'm not emptying out the contents of the refrigerator for more lids. :nono1::drama:

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not surprised at all.
We nurses tend to have a bent sense of humour.. keeps us sane :tongue:

Yep. Ya'll didn't really think I was serious ALL the time did you?????
Wouldn't it stand to reason that I would have to have a GREAT sense of humor? After all, I put up with CB, don't I?

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My son made a mouse trap powered car. Used CD's for the wheels. He epoxied washers on the CD's to get the hole small enough to fit an axle. He got brass rod for the axle, from the local hardware/hobby store.

For wheels and axles, do you know any Cub Scouts that you could borrow thier wheels and axles?

A pinewood derby kit, with the block of wood cut super thin would go pretty fast. Trim and polish the axles like for a derby car...