• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Effects of 9mm bullets in real time

Gunsrus

Now I know for a fact that big bullets like .357 can send a man flying back, as can a shotgun shell. Even the old lead balls could do that. I would, however, like to know why some films and video games depict small arms fire as having the ability to push back people and some not.

For example, the Japanese video game Resident Evil has treated the concussive effects of bullets from small arms fire in a variety of ways. I'd like us to look at the different methods Capcom's development teams came up with to make the zombies react 1-6

RE 1: 9mm bullets stop the advancing zombie for a moment, but then it keeps moving until it takes enough damage to be stunned and then falls foreward, or dies.

RE 1 Remake HD: The zombies take the bullets while still coming foreward and may drop their arms after a few shots until they fall forewards and die.

RE 2 and RE 3: 1-4 9mm bullets make a zombie stagger and the 4th or 5th makes them fall backwards or forewards.

RE 4-5-6: The enemies don't get pushed back or fall when shot by 9mm bullets. Instead, they stop in place and can't move foreward anymore.

RE Umbrella Corps: Each and every bullet makes a zombie stagger backwards.

Is there a certified firearms expert out there who could tell me which of these video game physics is correct in real time?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds to me like the zombies are just getting tougher over time. ;)

Wee Willy

Lots of times as with the 380, 38 special and 9mm you don't even know that you were shot til the pain sets in.

Calibers like the 357mag, 40sw and 45acp create trauma and you may feel it right away.

Calibers like 10mm, 44mag and 9x25dillon can put down a bear so imagine what it does to you.

Most handgun calibers don't even make you flinch and most threats were stopped because they don't want to be shot again. This is called a psychological stop and more often than physical stop when it hits your nervous system (heart, brain, spinal.)

Gunsrus

Lots of times as with the 380, 38 special and 9mm you don't even know that you were shot til the pain sets in.

Calibers like the 357mag, 40sw and 45acp create trauma and you may feel it right away.

Calibers like 10mm, 44mag and 9x25dillon can put down a bear so imagine what it does to you.

Most handgun calibers don't even make you flinch and most threats were stopped because they don't want to be shot again. This is called a psychological stop and more often than physical stop when it hits your nervous system (heart, brain, spinal.)

Taking this into account, I'd say that the RE 5 and 6 physics systems were the most realistic. Thanks for sharing this info. :smile:

Now, getting shot in the head with most calibre bullets can cause the person to stagger back, even if he pivots and stumbles in a particular direction. I'm guessing from what you say that because you feel pain and don't want to fall, you turn around and grab your head to keep your balance.

Unless of course you're wearing head gear of some kind. Is it fair to assume this?

Wee Willy

If that didn't kill you you're gonna have a headache of the century. :ermm:

I've seen videos of people shot in the head with a pistol and they drop but those shot with a rifle had their head snapped back.

As for me, I carry my G29 loaded with either Uw 10mm 200 XTP or Uw 9x25 Dillon 124 XTP.

I'm making sure that my threats stopped quickly.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Hate to inject a dose of reality here, but the fact is that none of those are accurate as a rule; the reactions to a gunshot are as individual as, well ... individuals! Also bear in mind that people who program video games are not constrained by the rules of either physics or logic.