• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 Bombardier Drive Sprocket

sheppy

I have to change a drive sprocket on my'72 J5. Is it possible to do this without taking the track apart? I was thinking on jacking up one side of the machine releasing the track tension and trying it from there... Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ive done it that way on bv 206's their track won't come apart on your bombi I believe there is a lap joint it would be so easy to break the track. bring the joint up to the ramp between #1 road wheel and the sprocket loosen the tension brake the track pull it off the sprocket change it drape the track over it tie the rear off to your truck and have a buddy use the engine to pull the track back over the sprocket.

sheppy

What is the best way to haul the track together to get the lapped portion of the bolts to line up again? The tensioner is a grease/hydraulic tensioner. How do you let the tension off of this ?

Thanks

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I replied to your pm use the motor to do it your differential will work as an open differential with the track off.

MuskegRuner

changing the sprocket on a j5 is quite easy take 5 or 7 cleats off the front and the belt will fold back and give room to get at sprocket.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am putting these on late next week. I just thought I would roll it on top and pull them over.
DSC06100.jpg