• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Man serving 3-5 years for driving through NJ with legally purchased guns

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A few days ago I posted a thread asking if a visible gun case was "probable cause" to search a vehicle => http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=63509 Looks like I'm going to be investing in some different style cases and slapping camera or similar decals on them!

The guns were found via warrantless search. Spotting a gun case in the back seat was enough probable cause to yank the subject out of his car and search everything including the trunk. Dustin Reininger, from Texas, was only transporting his property through the state as he was relocating homes.

The citizen was convicted of bearing arms in New Jersey. He'll be in prison until at least 2016. :patriot:

Texas man to remain in prison after being arrested with 21 guns in his car in Readington Township

Reason #7,452 to Stay out of NJ: TX Man Transporting Unloaded Firearms Through NJ Doing 3-5 Years in Prison

The “plain view discovery of firearm cases on the back seat, and defendant’s subsequent admission that he was transporting long arms to Texas” gave the officer probable cause to believe Reininger possessed firearms illegally, the judges wrote.

“All the officers saw were cases,” Nappen said. “The court is essentially saying the plain view of a gun case is a basis for a warrantless search. That means every law-abiding gun owner in New Jersey is subject to warrantless search if they transport their firearms in a gun case.

“My recommendation to all gun owners is to transport all firearms in guitar cases,” he added.

Quote of the Day: Any Weapon Whatsoever Edition
“In his final argument, Reininger claimed his convictions should be reversed because ‘New Jersey’s gun control scheme’ violates his right under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution to keep and bear arms. We disagree. The Second Amendment does not create ‘a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.’” – New Jersey State Superior Court Opinion in Conviction upheld for man moving to Texas with SUV full of guns [via nj.com]

More:
Conviction upheld for man moving to Texas with SUV full of guns | NJ.com

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't be to quick to judge, these guns will now be safely tucked away somewhere safe. Just think about all the school children that were saved. And busts like this make it safe for you and I to go to theaters too.