• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Easter in Boston . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to look at schools in Boston with our daughter. She's arranged for visits to Boston College, Brandeis, Harvard and Tufts.

Its been many years since I've been to Boston. Any restaurant recommendations for while we are there? We'll be there for 4 or 5 days.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love Boston. It's been a few years since I was there but Legal's Seafood was one of my favorite places.
I know someone up there, I'll ask for some recommendations from her.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Sorry Doc, Legal Seafoods is good but if you want to go where the natives go you get your seafood dinner at the "No Name" restaurant It is located on the Boston fish pier and has been there for at least forty years. the best and freshest seafood in town. I would also recommend a stroll thru the "Northend" Boston's Italian district Many great restaurants and the atmosphere is super.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't know about the seafood MD but congrats to your daughter! She sounds like one bright kid!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Bob, I posted your question on net cooking talk since we have a couple members who are local to boston over there. Got some very interesting suggestions.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21244

One other hightlight for me (not a restaurant) was Quincy Market. An open air market with lots of local wares. The walk to there was so full of history. Walked right by the grave of Samuel Adams. You can see it from the sidewalk.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are out near Sudbury Longfellow's Wayside Inn is a good feed.
A bit touristy but good colonial style food. Service staff is in 18th century dress.

Picturesque and historic. Just down the road is Henry Ford's pond and grist mill. Beautiful in the springtime. On Highway 20 halfway between Wayland and Marlborough. Go west from Brandeis Universty about 15 minutes.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
That is one area I would love to visit some day. I think in the fall a week long bike ride would be great.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This came from NCT, but sounds to good not to share here (for those who did not click the link in my previous post).

Another wonderful place to eat is The Union Oyster House - allegedly the oldest restaurant in existance in Boston. Go on a Friday night and get the fish cakes, mashed potatoes with baked beans and brown bread.....a New England tradition! Excellent.

Fallon

I second this!

I am not much of a seafood fan, but the Union Oyster House is a wonderful old restaurant with a ton of history!

There's a cool little raw bar, and their clam chowder is one of my top 2 favorites (the chowder at Cap'n Parker's Pub on the Cape is the other).

Lee

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry Doc, Legal Seafoods is good but if you want to go where the natives go you get your seafood dinner at the "No Name" restaurant It is located on the Boston fish pier and has been there for at least forty years. the best and freshest seafood in town. I would also recommend a stroll thru the "Northend" Boston's Italian district Many great restaurants and the atmosphere is super.
Legal's is sure more sophisticated than the no name places, and they have more variety from what i saw. We did travel north to Gloucester and hit some of the no name places at the pier. Awesome.

So many good places to choose from up there. Reminds of Chicago. I love to go there just to eat. So much good food. I bet I'd weigh a lot more if I lived in Chicago or Boston. :yum:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Legal's is sure more sophisticated than the no name places, and they have more variety from what i saw. We did travel north to Gloucester and hit some of the no name places at the pier. Awesome.

:yum:

Doc, The "No Name" is only one restaurant. It started out as a diner for the working fishermen on the Boston (working) Fish Pier. Then expanded to full seating about 25 years ago. I'm told it has never had a freezer and only sold the fish bought that day from the boats. I have eaten at both places many times and for food the No Name wins hands down.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the clarification King. I thought you were talking in general about places on the pier. Didn't realize "No Name" was an actual restaurant. I've obviously never been there. Sorry for any confusion. :pat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am surprised you are the only one to mention stopping by "Cheers" where everyone knows your name. :yum:
Course I stopped at the Bull & Finch aka Cheers. Neat place, good beer but Bob asked for restaurant recommendations. I do not remember food at all from there. If we ate there it was not memorable, but still I enjoyed the visit and got the Tshirt. :D Parking was extremely tough to find. And Norm was not even there. Major disappointment.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Course I stopped at the Bull & Finch aka Cheers. Neat place, good beer but Bob asked for restaurant recommendations. I do not remember food at all from there. If we ate there it was not memorable, but still I enjoyed the visit and got the Tshirt. :D Parking was extremely tough to find. And Norm was not even there. Major disappointment.
WHAT !! You dont remember the big Chili feed in the pool room? :yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Um, the cafeteria downstairs at Harvard Medical School isn't too bad. :mellow: That's about the only place I ate other than at the home of the wonderful Harvard professor who put me up in a spare bedroom on their 3rd floor.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Bob, if your interested, I can arrange to have our Republican meet you when you get here.:biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got back to the hotel from visiting TUFTS UNIVERSITY in a suburb of Boston. Annual cost to attend the school is just north of $58,000. Assume some pizza & beer money and that cost is going to be $250,000.00 for a fancy 4 year degree. What surprises me is that many of these colleges that we are looking at on this trip offer totally worthless degrees like 'wimins studies' as well as degrees that will get you jobs that will ensure you live in poverty for the remainder of your life with a massive student loan debt . . . how you going to pay off a couple hundred grand of college loans if you are making $30,000 a year as a social worker? Seriously, a degree is social work? Why not get that from the local community college!?!

TUFTS seems to be burdened with a heavy liberal bias in the courses, content, lecture series and even the campus clubs. I was not thrilled with the school but was doing my best to remain very neutral in front of my daughter, that said, I was pleased when she said this was not a school she wanted to attend.

We did manage to eat at one of the school dining halls and I have to say that the food was some of the worst I've ever eaten in recent history. OMG these kids would be better off with prison food. The campus was very compact, actually seemed crowded and cramped. Its on a hill, so it offers some nice views all the way to Boston's downtown a few miles away. The dorm we visited was almost prehistoric (perhaps Washington actually slept there?) and depressing looking.

Tomorrow we are touring Harvard. I don't want her to go there either, but she has the grades to get into any school she wants to attend. Brandeis and Boston College are for Monday and Tuesday. Melen decided to skip M.I.T.'s tour so we'll have a free afternoon.

Oh, and last night we ate Thai food and it was EXCEPTIONAL. Don't recall the name of the restaurant but it was just a short walk from the hotel and not one of those places recommended by the hotel. I dunno why. Honestly some of the best food I've ever eaten.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like you're having a wonderful time there, Bob.
Good luck to Melen and her future decision on a university.
My friend Susan's son is wanting to go to Xavier.
That's where my brother attended.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
HAPPY EASTER from Boston!

On our way out the door to mass at St Paul's Church across from Harvard, just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY EASTER :flowers:

Don't forget, the ears are the most tender part of the chocolate bunny . . . and stay away from the tail.

My friend Susan's son is wanting to go to Xavier.
Xavier in Cinncinati is an excellent school. US News ranks it among the very best for Regional Colleges in the midwest. Great choice!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Tomorrow we are touring Harvard. I don't want her to go there either, but she has the grades to get into any school she wants to attend. Brandeis and Boston College are for Monday and Tuesday.

I became very disillusioned with colleges now as compared to the past. My daughter, Melanie, never even got a single "B" on any test, let alone any report card in her entire life. She lead several fund raising drives, played on several sports teams and was captain of the soccer team. Her only 'knock', if you will, was that she missed 2 questions on the SAT. Along with these credentials she had a dozen letters of recommendation from the principal to the head of every department in which she took classes.

With all those credentials, I had to wake up to realize that there is no possible way that "grades" will get you into any of the so called 'top' colleges. That was proven to me without a doubt. Unless she qualifies for as a minority or you want to donate a few million to the university, getting in on grades, SAT scores and extra curricular activities alone just does not happen. I think I mentioned that Melanie applied to Duke, and she was immediately rejected. Looking at their student body at a basketball game, and their team, guarantees me that there is NO WAY every student there has maintained a perfect grade point average since kindergarten on not only every report card, but every test along the way or every single student there got a perfect score on their SAT tests.

It's unfortunate, but grades clearly are way down the line when it comes to admission into those liberal lunatic colleges. Even though Melanie has a very good chance of going to Harvard Medical school due to her developed connections, she has told me that 'If they didn't want me as an undergraduate as one of the top 20 students in our state, I have no desire to go there for graduate school'. The reverence and mystique of the so called Ivy League schools in the north east has now been completely and totally lost with me. Now it's completely about 1) your race (color of your skin) or 2) how much money you're willing to donate. I have another high school senior graduating this year with a perfect grade point average, scored in the 99th percentile in EVERY category on the SAT and not only was involved in most every sport, president of the student body, but attained a 2nd degree black belt in Taekwondo while also working 20 hours a week. She has no interest in those schools.

I'm disgusted that a perfect GPA means nothing now due to our overly liberal school politics. When I attended school, there was ONE valedictorian in our class and they automatically had a standing offer for a full ride scholarship to one of our state schools. Now some schools have 40 'valedictorians'. :glare: Bullshit too! It sickens me that grades and extra drive and motivation mean almost nothing to colleges. You have to be a minority or some standout athlete (but can be as dumb as a brick) to get into most of what used to be considered 'elite' colleges. Pictured is Megan's black belt and my youngest's report card. It looks like 4 of my 5 kids will be valedictorians, for what little that's worth. Yeah, I'm disgusted and our college system is now a direct reflection of our liberal 60's hippys being in charge. I wish you the best of luck with your daughter, but a perfect GPA, extra activities, being student president and scoring tops on the SAT means nothing. You're going to have to open your checkbook wide or change your daughter's ethnicity to let her get in where she deserves.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.jpg
    IMG_0337.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 159

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, my daughter is a Black-Hispanic, Jewish-Muslim from China.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, my daughter is a Black-Hispanic, Jewish-Muslim from China.

Damn!! Just have her attend whichever college pays her the most over and above tuition, room and board. She ought to be able to get about 10 grand extra a semester and she needn't bother studying either. I'm sure they all will promise her a perfect GPA if she attends. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo that would be funny if it weren't so close to the truth.

Tomorrow we go to Brandeis to meet with their admissions folks and take a tour.

Today we spent the day at Harvard and I guess maybe I went in with a bad attitude because it didn't seem like it would be a good place to go to get an undergraduate degree. Maybe an advanced degree but not for undergrad work. On the bright side we did get a nice free meal out of the visit. Went to a well respected pub for lunch, chef messed up our meal, had to make it over, then the hostess came up and apologized for the slow meal delivery and they comp'ed us the meal. . . we didn't even get a chance to complain! Oh, and I got Melen a "Harvard Fencing" T-shirt at the store.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a Howards fencing T-shirt. Says high tensile and barbed wire on the front!:whistling:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I spent a lot of my youth sitting on the fence...does that count for anything???:brows:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Visited Brandeis University today and that got crossed off the list. It's an excellent research school but Melen said it was ugly.

Off now to see Boston University for the evening. Tomorrow is Boston College. My legs hurt from all the walking.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Walking down the street in front of Boston University some girl called out to my wife. She was a student that my wife had in her high school classes who graduated from Lowell HS in 2006, graduated from Boston U in 2010, and now works in Boston. Bizarre meeting someone like that, totally a random happenstance.

Boston U was surprisingly nice. Melen may consider that school after we investigate more about it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FORDHAM UNIVERSITY in NEW YORK is an awesome school!!! It was our last stop. We drove down to NYC last night, visited Fordham this morning and flew home this afternoon. Fordham is not ranked quite as high as some of the other schools Melen is considering but its still a very good school and wow is it beautiful.

Here is the quick rundown.

Well Melen fell in love with Boston College. She loved it from the moment she stepped on campus. The people and the tour really sealed the deal for her. Boston College had 32,000 applicants for 2270 freshman slots, that makes BC even more selective than Harvard. She pushed BC up to "Tied for 1st place" in her college choices. The other 1st place choice is still Washington University in St Louis, which is ranked #14 in the nation.

Brandeis University is totally off her list. It was post-modern ugly and not to her liking at all. Brandeis and Boston College are both tied for #31 in the rankings.

Tufts University is on the "fall back" list of school. She sort of liked it. Marcia sort of liked it. I didn't. The food was HORRID, in was so bad it was one of those meal there you laugh because its so horrible. Its a very good school academically and she'd be happy there, but it just is not a top choice. Its ranked #29.

Boston University is off her list too. Too big, too urban, too impersonal. But it was still a pleasant surprise that it was as nice as it was. Its tied for #53.

Harvard was Harvard. She will apply. She has the grades. She has the test scores. She has a snowballs chance in hell of getting in. It also appears that Harvard discriminates (or at least has a long history of it) against Catholics. Hard to hide that given her school transcripts.

Fordham in New York was scary from the outside. Its in the Bronks and we thought it was really rough but the students told us its safe? Didn't look that way, but we are just simple farm folk. Inside the campus is BEAUTIFUL, as in one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen. Melen considers this there PRIMARY FALL BACK school if she can't get into her top tier choices she will happily attend Fordham, but she prefer either Washington or Boston. Fordham is the fasting rising school in the rankings and this year is tied with BU at #53, not sure where it will be next year, but its risen every year for the past 5 or 6 years in a row.

This summer we will look at others. On the list are Northwestern, U of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Emory and Tulane. Also UNC Chapel Hill and a couple others.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty impressive Melensdad. My son is 38 and still hasn’t made up his mind what online course he wants to take.