• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This new engine may make production...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
And boy is it interesting! I have seen Fair Banks Morris twin opposed piston engines before but nothing this simple! Navastar has signed a licencing agreement to develope it for truck use. It was featured in Popular mechaics some time ago...

http://ecomotors.com/videos/introduction-opoc-powertrain

I look forward to seeing one of these if they pan out!

Regards, Kirk
it was also in diesel power magizine it is considered the most power dence engine ever

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So what do you think dds? to me it looks quite revolutionary. I bet we see lotsof them some day. It's just so darn simple I cann't get over it!

Regards, Kirk

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I saw these guys at Airventure (Oshkosh) this summer.

The word was they were attempting an aviation version to run on Jet fuel.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Very clever design. Low profile will help tuck the engine away.

Hope is can pass emmissions.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the reports I ahve read it is pretty good on emmisions. It uses an electric motor/generator to spool the turbo before starting, and at low revs. This helps a lot with start up emmisions. Then with engine speed in the work range it becomes a generator to put back the juice it used spooling up initially. Damn clever and has uses on conventional diesel's as well.

I hope it works out. The old Fair Banks Morris engines had a crank shaft at the top and bottom of the engine block, connected by several gears. Too damn complicated and heavy. They were used on stationary gen sets I beleive. This is a vast improvement on that old idea.

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
If the greenies had it their way we'd all be dressed like urkle and driving around in a prius. Just curious though how this engine will perform. How many hp and torque will it produce? I think design is a long ways off on a practical fuel efficient that can move more than just a few bags of groceries.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If the greenies had it their way we'd all be dressed like urkle and driving around in a prius. Just curious though how this engine will perform. How many hp and torque will it produce? I think design is a long ways off on a practical fuel efficient that can move more than just a few bags of groceries.

I don't know about fuel efficiancy but in this day and age it cann't be bad or they woudn't build it. As for power, it makes more per pound of weight than any diesel engine ever tested. You can couple multiple segments with electric clutches and add cylinders and double or tripple the Hp on the fly....

As for tanks, It figures we will be buying this engine from the Chinese...:hammer: Good idea don't you think? USA production was not found that could compete with China. Makes me sick to think we are so far gone in the USA today...:glare:

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Making these in China will probably be the demise of the engine. Them bastards will bastardize any design criteria they can to make an extra few cents over there.

Unless this outfit has American Engineer boots on the ground every step of every component manufacture, the Chinese will make it cheaper.

And break.

And cost the company millions.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't think our engines will be built over seas no matter how many little girls Clinton raped. I herd some where these engines for the tanks would be built in the us and to a military standard. sorry about the Clinton comment I forgot oral sex isn't sex by his definition.