• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BREAKING: Arizona Governor Doug Ducey Has Chosen Who Will Replace Senator John McCain

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BREAKING: Arizona Governor Doug Ducey Has Chosen Who Will Replace Senator John McCain
Katie Pavlich| @KatiePavlich |Posted: Sep 04, 2018 12:28 PM

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katie...ill-choose-to-replace-senator-mccain-n2515694

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey will appoint former Senator Jon Kyl to fill the vacant seat left by longtime Senator John McCain. Kyl will serve out the reminder of McCain's term, which ends in 2020.

The Arizona Republic was the first to report the news. Cindy McCain also confirmed the news.

Cindy McCain

@cindymccain
Jon Kyl is a dear friend of mine and John’s. It’s a great tribute to John that he is prepared to go back into public service to help the state of Arizona.
12:34 PM - Sep 4, 2018

688 people are talking about this

Kyl served as a U.S. Senator representing Arizona from 1995-2013, ultimately becoming the second most powerful Republican as minority whip. In 2012 he announced his retirement and went into the private sector. He currently serves as a fellow for the American Enterprise Institute and works as a lobbyist for the law firm Covington & Burling.

Since July, Kyl has served as a "sherpa" on Capitol Hill for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. A "sherpa" prepares a nominee for their hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Kavanaugh's hearing started today.

Governor Ducey will hold a press conference at 1 p.m. eastern to make the announcement.

This is a developing story, stay tuned for updates.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Since July, Kyl has served as a "sherpa" on Capitol Hill for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. A "sherpa" prepares a nominee for their hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee. Kavanaugh's hearing started today.

That should be another vote for Kavanaugh. :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like a really safe choice for Gov Ducey.

Ducey didn't want to upset Trump. Ducey didn't want to upset the Arizona voters. So this choice pleases both sides.

The thing that I think is bad about this choice is that it is likely that at the end of the term in 2020 it will mean that Senator Kyle will step down and there will then be an open seat in AZ up for election. I think a better choice would have been a younger moderate who would both support Trump and who already has name recognition in AZ and would then become the incumbent defending his appointed seat.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems like a really safe choice for Gov Ducey.

Ducey didn't want to upset Trump. Ducey didn't want to upset the Arizona voters. So this choice pleases both sides.

The thing that I think is bad about this choice is that it is likely that at the end of the term in 2020 it will mean that Senator Kyle will step down and there will then be an open seat in AZ up for election. I think a better choice would have been a younger moderate who would both support Trump and who already has name recognition in AZ and would then become the incumbent defending his appointed seat.

I somewhat disagree. First, there are not two sides to please. AZ votes went for Trump. They also had already voted for Lyl in the past. So they have no p reason to be upset
. Kyl is unlikely to run for the seat so no one can say the AZ voters are being snookered of forced into a Senator they don't want but have to live with for years.

What it does. is put a nail in the coffin containing any hopes that enough Republican Senators will vote against Cavanaugh to stop his confirmation.

The downside may well be a backlash this November from otherwise lukewarm democrats who will be energized to vote. Maybe not a WAVE but there may well be a blue "ripple."

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
September 5, 2018
John Kyl’s return to the Senate, replacing McCain, is very good news
By Richard Baehr
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...enate_replacing_mccain_is_very_good_news.html

The news that Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has appointed former Senator John Kyl the serve out the remainder of Sen. John McCain’s term is encouraging for Republicans. But:

Kyl, who left the Senate in 2013, said he will serve at least until the end of this Congress in January, but has not committed to serving in 2019 and 2020.

Kyl is a smart pick, and not a squish on policy like McCain.

Kyle is well-liked by Republicans and conservatives in Arizona, and will be one more vote for Kavanaugh, meaning Dems would need to turn 2 Republicans against him to defeat the nomination. I don’t see Senators Collins and Murkowski flipping, unless something disastrous takes place during the hearings, which I don’t see happening.

Kyl may only serve till start of 2019, meaning the next governor would have to appoint someone before a special election in 2020. That’s not good, since even though Arizona law requires an appointment from the same party, you could get Cindy McCain or someone else very amenable to the left if Ducey is not re-elected this year (he is a very slight favorite).

I hope Kyl reconsiders and agrees to stay on till January 2021.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
September 5, 2018
John Kyl’s return to the Senate, replacing McCain, is very good news
By Richard Baehr
A
https://www.americanthinker.com/blo...enate_replacing_mccain_is_very_good_news.html

The news that Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has appointed former Senator John Kyl the serve out the remainder of Sen. John McCain’s term is encouraging for Republicans. But:

Kyl, who left the Senate in 2013, said he will serve at least until the end of this Congress in January, but has not committed to serving in 2019 and 2020.

Kyl is a smart pick, and not a squish on policy like McCain.

Kyle is well-liked by Republicans and conservatives in Arizona, and will be one more vote for Kavanaugh, meaning Dems would need to turn 2 Republicans against him to defeat the nomination. I don’t see Senators Collins and Murkowski flipping, unless something disastrous takes place during the hearings, which I don’t see happening.

Kyl may only serve till start of 2019, meaning the next governor would have to appoint someone before a special election in 2020. That’s not good, since even though Arizona law requires an appointment from the same party, you could get Cindy McCain or someone else very amenable to the left if Ducey is not re-elected this year (he is a very slight favorite).

I hope Kyl reconsiders and agrees to stay on till January 2021.

I'm guessing the Governor's choice has more to do with the Cavanaugh nomination than contolling the future of AZ politics. The Governor made the choice for the long run good of the nation.

This locks Cavanagh onto the SCOTUS, drives the left further nuts and yet, allows the AZ voters to decide at the ballot box, who will represent them in the Senate long term.

A perfect and honorable trifecta!

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
...The thing that I think is bad about this choice is that it is likely that at the end of the term in 2020 it will mean that Senator Kyle will step down and there will then be an open seat in AZ up for election....

I tend to agree. A younger person that would run for re-election would have been better in the long run.

Being an incumbent is a large advantage in elections.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I tend to agree. A younger person that would run for re-election would have been better in the long run.

Being an incumbent is a large advantage in elections.

I would likely agree as well,,,; If I were a Republican. I am not.

With the ratification of the 17th amendment, the Constitution says governors do not chose Senators. The People do. Governor Ducey went with the Constitution.