• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

John McCain dead at 81

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
John McCain dead at 81
By Alex Pappas | Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/08/25/john-mccain-dead-at-81.html

Arizona Sen. John McCain, a war hero who survived five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, served three decades in Congress and went on to become the Republican Party’s nominee for president in 2008, died Saturday. He was 81 years old.

In his last hours, McCain turned down further treatment, his family announced in a statement.

McCain was diagnosed with brain cancer in July 2017. Doctors discovered the tumor during a medical procedure to remove a blood clot from above his left eye. He remained upbeat after the diagnosis, flying back to Washington days after surgery with a large scar visible above his eye to partake in the Senate’s health care debate.

“I greatly appreciate the outpouring of support - unfortunately for my sparring partners in Congress, I'll be back soon, so stand-by!” McCain tweeted on July 20 after his diagnosis.

On Friday, his family issued a statement saying,“Last summer, Senator John McCain shared with Americans the news our family already knew: he had been diagnosed with an aggressive glioblastoma, and the prognosis was serious. In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict."

They added, "With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment."

McCain's wife, Cindy, tweeted that her "heart is broken" following her husband's death.

Cindy McCain

@cindymccain
My heart is broken. I am so lucky to have lived the adventure of loving this incredible man for 38 years. He passed the way he lived, on his own terms, surrounded by the people he loved, in the the place he loved best.
8:47 PM - Aug 25, 2018

24K people are talking about this

"I am so lucky to have lived the adventure of loving this incredible man for 38 years," she said. "He passed the way he lived, on his own terms, surrounded by the people he loved, in the the place he loved best."

The senator's daughter, Meghan, posted a heartfelt note online, in which she said the "task of [her] lifetime is to live up to [McCain's] example, his expectations, and his love."

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Meghan McCain

@MeghanMcCain
I love you forever - my beloved father @SenJohnMcCain
8:41 PM - Aug 25, 2018

31.9K people are talking about this

"My father is gone, and I miss him as only an adoring daughter can," she wrote. "He was a great fire who burned bright, and we lives in his light and warmth for so very long. We know that his flame lives on, in each of us. The days and years to come will not be the same without my dad — but they will be good days, filled with life and love, because of the example he lived for us."

McCain was born in 1936 in the Panama Canal Zone, where his father was stationed in the Navy. After graduating from the Naval Academy in 1958, McCain went to Vietnam.

In 1967, his A4 Skyhawk was hit by a surface-to-air missile over Hanoi. McCain was captured by the North Vietnamese, who tortured and beat him for more than five years. He was in solitary confinement for several of those years.

“My room was fairly decent-sized - I’d say about 10 by 10,” McCain would later write. “The door was solid. There were no windows. The only ventilation came from two small holes at the top in the ceiling, about 6 inches by 4 inches. The roof was tin, and it got hot as hell in there.”

His captors offered him early release after learning his father was a notable naval officer. But McCain refused to leave before the other prisoners. He was released in 1973.

McCain’s injuries from his imprisonment were visible the rest of his life, most noticeably the restricted movement of his arms.

McCain got a taste of politics in 1976, when he served as the Navy’s liaison to the Senate.

U.S. Republican presidential nominee Senator John McCain (R-AZ) (R) is joined by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger at a campaign rally in Columbus, Ohio October 31, 2008. McCain is on a two-day campaign bus tour through the state of Ohio. REUTERS/Brian Snyder (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008 (USA) - GM1E4B10JME01
U.S. Republican presidential nominee Senator John McCain (R-AZ) (R) is joined by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger at a campaign rally in Columbus, Ohio October 31, 2008. (REUTERS/Brian Snyder )

In 1982, McCain was elected to the House of Representatives. Only a few years later, in 1986, he won the race to replace Arizona’s conservative Sen. Barry Goldwater.

He was implicated in what became known as the Keating Five Scandal in 1989, accused with several other lawmakers of helping the owner of the Lincoln Savings and Loan, who had donated to his campaign.

McCain ran twice for president. In 2000, he ran for the Republican nomination for president, winning New Hampshire’s primary but losing the nomination to George W. Bush.

In 2008, he defeated a host of Republican candidates to win the GOP nomination for president.

He was responsible for introducing then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to a national audience by tapping her as his running mate. The McCain-Palin ticket went on to lose the general election to Barack Obama, who became the country’s first black president.

For years, McCain declined to call his choice of Palin a mistake. But in his upcoming book, “The Restless Wave,” McCain reportedly writes that he regrets not choosing his friend, then-Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman, as his running mate, calling it “another mistake that I made.” Lieberman, the 2000 Democratic nominee for vice president, was an independent who caucused with Democrats.

After the 2008 loss, McCain returned to the Senate, embracing his role as chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

During his last years in politics, he had a complicated relationship with President Trump, who infamously attacked McCain during the GOP primary. In May, the McCain family was offended when it was reported that Trump aide Kelly Sadler dismissed McCain's opposition to the president’s choice for CIA director by quipping during a private meeting, "It doesn't matter, he's dying anyway."

According to the New York Times, McCain has made clear to the White House he doesn’t want Trump to attend his funeral, and would instead prefer Vice President Mike Pence at a service.

McCain is survived by his wife Cindy, seven children and five grandchildren.

Alex Pappas is a politics reporter at FoxNews.com. Follow him on Twitter at @AlexPappas.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Jim.
I've got the app on my phone that alerts breaking news.
Was sitting at the desk taking a break and heard it.
Rest in Peace Senator.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never liked this guy as a senator.

I thought he should have retired a couple decades ago.

He was nothing more than a useful idiot for the Democratic party who held personal grudges above conviction and principle often betraying his Republican values and the voters who put him into office.

All that said, I wish his fate on nobody and am sorry to see his passing. My prayers go out to his family and all who loved him.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
For many people who are referring to this man as a rhino and any other term that can be used, I know some of those same people who were all happy happy joy joy over the McCain/Palin ticket.
Yes both bad and good can be said about him from both sides of the aisle.
What I've been getting from friends and yes some family members is that he was a great American politics aside.
I could never say anything bad about a man who is/ was of my party and a former POW to boot.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For many people who are referring to this man as a rhino and any other term that can be used, I know some of those same people who were all happy happy joy joy over the McCain/Palin ticket.
Yes both bad and good can be said about him from both sides of the aisle.
What I've been getting from friends and yes some family members is that he was a great American politics aside.
I could never say anything bad about a man who is/ was of my party and a former POW to boot.

I believe most were happy with the Paliin side of that ticket.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes he was a war hero. I agree with that. But not all war heroes can be everything or do everything..

I live in Arizona and years ago he was a good senator . . .years ago.

I don't think the man himself would like how everyone is gushing over him. I think it would have embarrassed him. I know it would me.
And that's about it. I don't want to speak ill of the dead.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My cousin who was aboard the USS Forrestal as a Third Class AO claims to this day John McCain was never responsible for the fire that killed 134 sailors. He was on the flight deck at the time and fought that fire for hours to bring in under control.

That was a hard day.

Bamby

Forgive me but unfortunately toes up was the only way we'd be rid of him and I'm afraid it's the same with several others on Capitol Hill.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
My cousin who was aboard the USS Forrestal as a Third Class AO claims to this day John McCain was never responsible for the fire that killed 134 sailors. He was on the flight deck at the time and fought that fire for hours to bring in under control.

That was a hard day.

Anyone who claims John McCain was responsible for that fire is ignorant, delusional, or a liar. Perhaps all three. There is reason to believe that fire was set; after the Forestall went into the yards in Portsmouth she had at least one fire a day, in areas where cutting torches and welders couldn't be blamed. On one memorable day the ship's Master at Arms was chasing the pyromaniac through compartment after compartment and would have caught the bastard if he hadn't stopped to put out another fire.

The ship I was on at the time was just down the pier from her and our crew was called several times to assist in firefighting, along with the yard and city fire departments. It got to the point where some sailors and yard personnel took to calling her the USS Zippo!
As far as I know the SOB starting the fires was never caught.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
because someone had to be a jerk and post this, might as well be me :boxing:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 3.10.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 3.10.04 PM.png
    456.8 KB · Views: 68

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
So the snowflake girlfriend of my son Ty has decided to give the slam to the President on her Facebook page for lowering the flag for only a specific amount of time.
Watching the commentary is a thing of beauty.

She's a Trump hater, wanted Hillary to win.
I once asked her why and she couldn't form a single thought to support that.
My nephew gave it to her good.
:yum:
I have no problem with the President deciding to do that.
If he ordered the flag to be lowered he did as he was supposed to do.
The fact that he decided to have it raised again before McCain's burial is proof that he does exactly what he wants to do.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So the snowflake girlfriend of my son Ty has decided to give the slam to the President on her Facebook page for lowering the flag for only a specific amount of time.
Watching the commentary is a thing of beauty.

She's a Trump hater, wanted Hillary to win.
I once asked her why and she couldn't form a single thought to support that.
My nephew gave it to her good.
:yum:
I have no problem with the President deciding to do that.
If he ordered the flag to be lowered he did as he was supposed to do.
The fact that he decided to have it raised again before McCain's burial is proof that he does exactly what he wants to do.

I voted for him but, McCain did not win in 2008. I believe he blew it by how he treated, or allowed to be treated, Governor Palin. Presidential order from Trump not withstanding, I did not lower mine.

We lower the flag far too often for far too little reason.

I lower mine for dead Presidents. PERIOD!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Remember when Obama ordered it lowered when Whitney Houston died?
That was full out ridiculous.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Remember when Obama ordered it lowered when Whitney Houston died?
That was full out ridiculous.
Who the hell was Whitney Houston?

I have no issue for lowering "Old Glory" for 3 days for a state governor, IN THAT STATE.

I also accept a town, municipality for lowering it on the day of a local fallen hero's funeral.

But everything else, school shootings, famous singers, etc, diminishes the meaning of the gesture. It is at a point one wonders what's upon the rare days when "Old Glory" is at the top of the mast.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You overlooked "Memorial Day" until high noon.

No I didn't. Memorial Day observance is not to honor ONE person.

The only Individual Person for which for which the flag is supposed to honor at half mast is former Presidents.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
A black singer and actress.
But I know you knew that.
I guess she was worthy and deemed a national treasure in Obama's eyes.

An adolescent crush perhaps?????
She was a drug addict and a bit of a Whxxx ,,,;Sorry, a bit of a loose woman. Who selfishly threw her gift, and her potential, away.

I'm not sure it serves the nation well for our President to indulge his fantasies like that.

I did not like McCain much after he sabotaged Palin. Even less after he put President Trump in a Achem's razor box. But even he deserved more respect than to share the honor of Old Glory's courtesy with a drug addict who overdosed to her own demise.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No I didn't. Memorial Day observance is not to honor ONE person.

The only Individual Person for which for which the flag is supposed to honor at half mast is former Presidents.

Unless I'm misreading you, I don't think that's true.

Under 4 U.S.C. § 7(m) and established traditions by Presidential proclamations, the flag of the United States is to be flown at half-staff on rare occasions, in the following circumstances:[59]

For thirty days after the death of a current or former president or president-elect, as occurred after the death of President Reagan and the death of President Ford.
For ten days after the death of a current vice president, current or retired chief justice, or current Speaker of the House of Representatives.
From the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a secretary of an executive or military department, a former vice president, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate,[60] or the governor of a state, territory, or possession.
On the day of death and the day after[61] for a Member of Congress.

The White House followed protocol. That wasn't good enough for the never Trumpers. In the end McCain was a Senator, Nothing more. Day of death and the day after.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Unless I'm misreading you, I don't think that's true.

Under 4 U.S.C. § 7(m) and established traditions by Presidential proclamations, the flag of the United States is to be flown at half-staff on rare occasions, in the following circumstances:[59]

For thirty days after the death of a current or former president or president-elect, as occurred after the death of President Reagan and the death of President Ford.
For ten days after the death of a current vice president, current or retired chief justice, or current Speaker of the House of Representatives.
From the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a secretary of an executive or military department, a former vice president, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate,[60] or the governor of a state, territory, or possession.
On the day of death and the day after[61] for a Member of Congress.

The White House followed protocol. That wasn't good enough for the never Trumpers. In the end McCain was a Senator, Nothing more. Day of death and the day after.

I stand corrected.

:agree:

Thanks.

I do note correctly then, not for celebrities or heartthrobs of sitting Presidents.

And I defied the order because I did not for McCain. After his disrespectful death bed admonishment of President Trump not to come to his funeral or honor him, deserved or not,,,; I still would not. McCain was a political asshat until the bitter end.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I stand corrected.

:agree:

Thanks.

I do note correctly then, not for celebrities or heartthrobs of sitting Presidents.

And I defied the order because I did not for McCain. After his disrespectful death bed admonishment of President Trump not to come to his funeral or honor him, deserved or not,,,; I still would not. McCain was a political asshat until the bitter end.

Others can be honored by the half mast flag. I believe it must be by executive order.

I don't buy the war hero reason. In my view, anybody who served 2 or 3 is a hero. There are millions of us. We don't get half mast.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:bolt:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 2.42.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 2.42.59 PM.png
    440.7 KB · Views: 105

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
McCain an Obama

Attachments

• McCainPassedFakeDossier.jpg
    McCainPassedFakeDossier.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 83

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If not for a pardon .....

Attachments

• McCainPardenedByNixon.jpg
    McCainPardenedByNixon.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 84

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
John McCain probably wouldnt have been an officer in the Navy if his father hadnt been an admiral. To my thinking he had a silver spoon during his Navy days. Have a goodun!!!