• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Picture size question

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have a picture that I want to reduce to be below the 100 k requiremet to post, but I don't want to make the picture smaller. How can I do this? thanks Junk....

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I have a picture that I want to reduce to be below the 100 k requiremet to post, but I don't want to make the picture smaller. How can I do this? thanks Junk....

Turn it into a JPEG (compressed). If it is already a JPEG, save it at a higher compression.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
It is already a JPEG. How can I change it to a higher compression. I am using XP professional. thanks Junk...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
It is already a JPEG. How can I change it to a higher compression. I am using XP professional. thanks Junk...

What program are you using to edit? I like a program called Irfanview. When you do a "Save As" on your file, you get a slider bar allowing you to select the compression level.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have Irfanview on my computer, but it doesn't help. I also use PixResizer. This is a screen capture of a computer page that I have saved using "Paint". Paint doesn't give me any choices that I know of, so when I hit Control S to save the picture, it saves it at about 140K. The site that I want to use the picture on has a 100K limit, so I am forced to downsize the picture to post it. Being that it is text, then it is hard to read. I would like to make the picture larger, but keep the size under the 100K limit, but I don't know how.... Junk....

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Open Irfanview.

Edit/Paste. If the screen print is still on the clipboard it will appear.
Or if your only copy is the one created by Paint, then open that file using Irfanview.

Put a box around what you need then Edit/Crop, if possible, considering what you need to illustrate.

Image/Resize as needed.

(Image/decrease color depth will reduce filesize a little, and won't be noticed if your emphasis is text.)

Save As
Save as Type:
Try gif first. Gif does a good job of making a 16-color etc pic that is sharper than a severely compressed jpg. (but gif is not suitable for a zillion-color photo).

If the gif exceeds 96k then go to Save as Type: jpg.

Use the Options in the Save-Picture-As screen to select a jpg compression that gives 96k filesize (not 100k).

Good luck with this!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Reduce the quality if the software allows. I use Firehand Ember and it will reduce the file byte size significantly by selecting a lower quality that really doesn't sacrifice the picture much at all.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
try renaming it to whatever.jpg instead of .jpeg.
Limits on .jpg files are 195m where jpeg is 99m

Both are the same format and interchangable (I think).