• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980s Cushman Trackster

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so lets try a different route, I thought... :whistling:

IMG_6589.JPG

Not sure of the year, the owner said it was 1980s... LOL...

Former Deschutes County Search & Rescue machine, was used/maintained/redone/worked on - by actual user/owner of the machine. Apparently they had a fleet of 5 in the whole group, until they got "old" and got replaced by ATVs on tracks.

Machine runs well, might need a bit of adjustments here and there, but nothing major. I've inquired about the replacement tracks, since these seems like wont do too well in the deep snow (McLaren tracks at $700/ea plus S&H).

Factory engine was replaced with a KOHLER V-Twin (if I'm getting it right) 25HP motor, and single exhaust setup. Fan was also added for hydro-fluid radiator with a dedicated switch for the long /idle operations.

Lets get some snow already here...

p.s. once I bring it into the garage, i'll snap some more pictures for anyone interested.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tracks by McLaren...

Seems like they got good knobs for better traction

Mclaren%2520Cushman%2520tracks.jpg

clairpierce

I restored one a few years ago. I used the 24 hp honda. I liked the machine. the only complaint I had was it was soooo slow, only about 10mph tops. I had the fiberglass hardtop. As far as I know they only used the omc 2 stroke. unless the owner did a engine swapp. You can get about any thing you want for then. There was a guy in northern california that has stuff. Find him on line. Clair

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I restored one a few years ago. I used the 24 hp honda. I liked the machine. the only complaint I had was it was soooo slow, only about 10mph tops. I had the fiberglass hardtop. As far as I know they only used the omc 2 stroke. unless the owner did a engine swapp. You can get about any thing you want for then. There was a guy in northern california that has stuff. Find him on line. Clair

Yep,

The engine was replaced by the previous owner, and seems to run fine at this point.

My only concern at this point are the tracks...

clairpierce

Nothing wrong with a Kohler. you can get stock tracks or complast. but if that is the pics of your tracks they have been replaced and should be in good shape. Calir

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the original equipment tracks sucked they also made longer tracks I think it was mcclarin. the draw back most people complained about was poor performance on the 4 stroke conversion you can get a higher ratio ring and pinion to make your pumps more efficient I here it works well that way. the Cushman puts down about the same footprint as a snow trac at about .60 psi I have a manual for the trackster still think.

clairpierce

I had the new stock tracks I had no complaint. I think the aftermarket track is better(more grip) you can have the stock 9 tooth sprocket of the stock 7 tooth sprocket. mine had the 9. you can get the gear change but it is quite expensive. It was not recomended to me because you can only do so much with 24 ponys. Clair

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nothing wrong with a Kohler. you can get stock tracks or complast. but if that is the pics of your tracks they have been replaced and should be in good shape. Calir

Thats a picture of the new McLaren tracks

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the one nice thing about the trickster is it's all terrain mud snow and rocks. they are slow and there are a lot of cautions one has to heed when operating on steep slopes. the steep slopes part that caused me to abandon the project and get something larger like the snow trac.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the one nice thing about the trickster is it's all terrain mud snow and rocks. they are slow and there are a lot of cautions one has to heed when operating on steep slopes. the steep slopes part that caused me to abandon the project and get something larger like the snow trac.

I would treat the Trackster more like a snowmobile... than a snowcat...

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is one I redid a couple of years ago put a 27 hp kohler twin in it a the
McClaren tracks.

Also put a utv blade on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5,723

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I would treat the Trackster more like a snowmobile... than a snowcat...
i wanted an easily transportable atv type rig that could handle the mud better than a quad, and be able to put the family in. hills are a concern and the prospect of an endo didn't sit well with me especially the ones i go up and down in the winter so it was back to beating my self up on a quad. than i got the snow trac it' small light and efficient. i have taken it hunting tundra bogging and it excels as a vehicle for the family to get out of town in the winter with

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon,

When you get it in the garage, you should start a thread on it, as I for one and I am sure others know little if any of the "innards" of this little beast. Pull it a part and take some pics if you would...I'd love to see some detail of the design. Cushman equiptment has in general very good reputation for quality products. They seem to know how to build things for long lasting use. I gotta feeling you will have a cab fabbed up pretty soon too!! Maybe an overhead tent too........

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is one I redid a couple of years ago put a 27 hp kohler twin in it a the
McClaren tracks.

Also put a utv blade on it

Oops, must have been from the land down under
Someone like Doc or mod will have to Change picture now?

Cletis

Blade on the front.

Ski bars on the back!!!! (built like wheelie bars)

Have the ski bars on a hydraulic ram so the extend in and out in tight sections.

No endoing !!!!!

waterman

The wilderness 300 replaced the Cushman after Cushman went out of business. You can get most all parts for both machines. The Wilderness has a price tag of $24,000. and have a 32 hp generac engine, with hydraulic motors to control the tracks.

Attachments

• 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 5,622
  • 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 6,019

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon,

When you get it in the garage, you should start a thread on it, as I for one and I am sure others know little if any of the "innards" of this little beast. Pull it a part and take some pics if you would...I'd love to see some detail of the design. Cushman equiptment has in general very good reputation for quality products. They seem to know how to build things for long lasting use. I gotta feeling you will have a cab fabbed up pretty soon too!! Maybe an overhead tent too........

Regards, Kirk

Time will show Kirk,

issue at hand here is that Im not sure how well it will fit my needs, although I think it will work just fine overall.

I dont have any big plans for it other than to use it as is, since I just need a vehicle that gets me there farther than my Jeep does.

I'll get some pictures and videos once I get it into the garage, it will be just same thread here.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The wilderness 300 replaced the Cushman after Cushman went out of business. You can get most all parts for both machines. The Wilderness has a price tag of $24,000. and have a 32 hp generac engine, with hydraulic motors to control the tracks.

How do you find it as for getting around in the deep snow overall, especially deep powder?

I presume I should be able to tow some utility sleds in the back with some gear.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk I will try to get some data I have my old computer had the manuals in pdf. but here is the deal the trackster has an engine coupled to the transmission through a drive shaft. the transmission consists of a ring and pinion coupled to 2 hydraulic pumps on the left and right side through a racing spool this gives the proper gear reduction to run the pumps at max efficiency with the high revving 2 stroke motor. pumps are plumbed to the motors attached to a gear reduction unit at the other end of the trans housing with solid pips running to them and than axle tubes exit either side of the trans housing this makes for a tidy 1 piece unit with your steering controls on top to vary flow for speed and gear reduction. the throttle is a hand type on a woodward governor and no gas pedal speed is controlled through hydraulic input at the controls. the tracks are an internal drive like a snowmachine and boggies are on torsalastic arms and leaf springs depending on where they are in the tracks. they even made an amphip model. they also had a waffle track with extra grousers and a loose fitting asymmetrical outer belt that dropped ground pressure to 2 tenths of a pound

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
...they also had a waffle track with extra grousers and a loose fitting asymmetrical outer belt that dropped ground pressure to 2 tenths of a pound

the part about the extra grousers & track is very interesting...

any info on that?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Continuing with some work... Figured while there is another 45+ days before proper snow levels settle in the hills, I could do a quick restore on this Trackster.

Nothing major planned, but a little upgrade on some of the systems, like all new wiring (since original is all just toast, owner used house appliance extension cord to wire the lights & switches, 12v battery terminal wires are cracked, and story goes on)...

So this is what I'm going for...

IMG_7709.JPG

with the way that high-center works on these tracked machines with short wheel base, I figured I better do a good stinger both front & back...

rollcage is not a must, but will be an extra support for overall cover, plus I'll have my canvas guy saw up a nice cover, that will keep me away from the wetness and excess wind if need be.

Windshield will have to be redone, and wiper installed most likely.

Rigid dually2s will be great for lighting (front/back as well).

Small roof rack to carry extra junk along with a rear basket.

4000lbs winch on a receiver will be very useful, having options of both front/back.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OLD TRACKS

IMG_7717.JPG

and the NEW TRACKS....

almost 1inch lugs... made by McLaren

IMG_7726.JPG

IMG_7728.JPG

and taking it apart a little more...

IMG_7718.JPG