• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My Scag Wildcat caught on fire.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the never a dull moment dept. I was mowing the grass today, I go around a big pine an see smoke. Go around the tree again and see Gail jumping up an down waving an yelling FIRE.

I said I saw the smoke where is it. She yells you are on fire. Get off the mower. The fire was behind me By the time I got a fire extinguisher it was way to big for me to mess with.

I Called 911 an got help. Mower is history. It was my favorite mower ever. A Scag Wildcat ZTR.

Thankfully no one hurt and no structures damaged.

Attachments

• ScagOnFire1.jpg
    ScagOnFire1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 97
  • ScagOnFire2.jpg
    ScagOnFire2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 98
  • ScagOnFire3.jpg
    ScagOnFire3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 96
  • ScagOnFire4.jpg
    ScagOnFire4.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 99
  • ScagOnFire5.jpg
    ScagOnFire5.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 99

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious, how new/old was this mower?

Also, what is that round hoop above what is left of the engine? Was this propane powered? My forklifts had hoops like that to hold the propane tanks.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Ahh, jeez that really sucks. At least you did not get burned. Tin can be replaced, hide not so easily. Glad you are alright and I bet mother is a bit relieved as well.

BTW, you're going to have that burn spot there all summer. :hammer:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Also, what is that round hoop above what is left of the engine? Was this propane powered? My forklifts had hoops like that to hold the propane tanks.
This was the mower I bought after much duscussion on TBN. I had settled on an exmark, but my local exmark dealer dropped that whole line so I bought the Scag. April or May or 2005. It was 12 years old. 400 or so hours on it.

I'm reading where others that had a fire had grass get trapped by the muffler and then the float needle valve (gas engine) leaks some fuel through = fire.
I know the fire started in the back but don't know what caused it yet. Will talk to insurance rep and see if they want to dig in to it or not.

I think the hoop you are seeing is the seat frame. It is a 27 HP Kohler gas V-twin engine.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Bob, I think thats the bracket that holds the air cleaner cartridge.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, that hoop. Jim you are right on. Air filter canister.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Doc that's terrible. Glad you're okay.
Thanks Jerry. Which Kubota ZTR do you have? Telll me what you like and don't like about it. I like the deck height ajustment on the Scag. it was manual but flawless. The Kubota Z's seem to have hydraulic ....not sure I'd like that.

Looking around I'm finding some used Kubota Z's 26hp 60" deck for 8500 w/ 400 hours. Seems like a fair deal. Going to price new ones tomorrow. Looking for a half price sale but I've yet to find one. LOL

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you're OK Doc. :clap:

We're a Kubota family. I have 3 and my S-I-L at the farm has 2. She has the 26 hp zero turn. She mows like a maniac and hasn't had a lick of trouble in 8 years. Wish you luck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a new Scag Cheetah thank to Cincinnati Insurance. Awesome company to deal with. I could have bought a Kubota diesel equivalent for 2700 more, but I decided to stick with Scag and save the dollars.

Replacement cost insurance is sure worth it. All I think I had to pay was the $500 deductible. I say I 'think' because I do not have the check yet. I had to buy and submit my receipt before they would cut the check, but at this point I believe they will do as they said and pay all but $500.

The Scag Cheetah has a shock absorption platform for operator comfort. Should save my back some. And it will go up to 16mph ...for light mowing and for going between mowing areas. 12mph for general mowing. 12 mph even seems to fast to me ....but I"ll try to get used to it.

Attachments

• ScagCheetah-2.jpg
    ScagCheetah-2.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 65
  • ScagCheetah-1.jpg
    ScagCheetah-1.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 62

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a new Scag Cheetah thank to Cincinnati Insurance. Awesome company to deal with. I could have bought a Kubota diesel equivalent for 2700 more, but I decided to stick with Scag and save the dollars.

Replacement cost insurance is sure worth it. All I think I had to pay was the $500 deductible. I say I 'think' because I do not have the check yet. I had to buy and submit my receipt before they would cut the check, but at this point I believe they will do as they said and pay all but $500.

The Scag Cheetah has a shock absorption platform for operator comfort. Should save my back some. And it will go up to 16mph ...for light mowing and for going between mowing areas. 12mph for general mowing. 12 mph even seems to fast to me ....but I"ll try to get used to it.

Looks like a nice ride with the suspension seat.

You've had it over a day now. About 20 or so hours on the meter so far? :yum:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad there were no personal injuries, Doc!! If the cheetah only cost you $500 then you've got a good insurance agent and company.
Mike

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter

Did they throw in a free fire extinguisher??? :brows: