• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

sno(w) cat serenade, march 13-16, 2020

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
sno(w) cat serenade, a gathering of old grousers

march 13-16 2020

3, yes, 3 great back country areas to cat around, different area each day....

Calgary, 760 miles
Seattle, 655
San Fan, 754
Las Vegas, 579
Reno, 536
Denver, 743
SLC, 295
Green Bay, 1,623
Boston, 2,592
Cody, 383
Red Lodge, 404
Post Falls, 448
Portland, 582
Yakima, 514
Medford, 624
Des Moines, 1,291
Atlanta, 2,098
Ironwood, 1,461
Vancouver, BC. 791
Lima, 2,220
Cheyenne, 668
Grand Junction, 575

detailed info in few weeks........think snow

okay, all you snow cat adventure lovers,

schedule is finalized, room rates locked in ( they are amazingly good ) back country locations checked out, discounted ski tickets, just waiting for the reservation code to be formatted, this all should be done by the 10th of October and you will be good to make reservations, looking forward to seeing everyone at the gathering of old grousers.

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 520

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
okay, all you snow cat adventure lovers,

schedule is finalized, room rates locked in ( they are amazingly good ) back country locations checked out, discounted ski tickets, just waiting for the reservation code to be formatted, this all should be done by the 10th of October and you will be good to make reservations, looking forward to seeing everyone at the gathering of old grousers.

Waiting with bated breath....

funtracks

Sounds like an amazing adventure, will start greasing the skids now with the family! Can't wait to hear more details! :thumbup:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Are you kidding?! Craters of the moon is one of the most welcoming landscapes I’ve ever seen. What an oasis!

As my wise old Aussie friend says, "what ever you're into man".
https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

Oddly enough (or thankfully) they don't mention hot springs. This one may or may not be right at the edge of the lave flow �� Only a hours drive from Sun Valley.

Attachments

• 20191005_070533.jpg
    20191005_070533.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 20191005_070558.jpg
    20191005_070558.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
jim vt, i am extending a personal invitation to you and the snow trac mafia, to come and enjoy the wonders of the Sawtooth Mountains...

Attachments

• s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 477

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
As we wait for the reservation code, thought I would give you cat crazy folks the schedule for the 'Snow Cat Serenade' a 'Gathering of Old Grousers'

First, and really important, all rooms are at the Sun Valley Inn, I have a block of rooms reserved. You are reasonable for making you own reservations and you will need the reservation code to get the preferred rate of $220.00 single occupancy for a Luxury King and $240.00 for single occupancy for 2 Luxury Queens, plus tax of 18%, these rates apply only at the Sun Valley Inn.

I would strongly suggest that you make your reservation within the next 60 days....I will have the code by the 10th of October.

Friday, March 13, 2020,

Arrive and check in at Sun Valley Inn, dinner on your own and or with friends,
about 7:30 pm meet me in the Rams Head Lounge for after dinner drinks, I am Hosting. will hand out packets with info and stuff for the weekend, you will really need this packet to ensure you know where to go and when to meet up, also set up group TEXT, which is really helpful way to stay in touch.

Saturday, March 14, 2020,

Back country snow catting, we will be going north of Ketchum/Sun Valley up the Wood River Valley towards Galena Summit. Hosted lunch is Provided.

Dinner will be a horse drawn sleigh ride to Trail Creek Cabin. These dinners are 4 course, fabulous food and the cabin is truly rustic, with live music. and the sleigh ride back under the stars is so memorable. You will need to make your own reservations when you check in if not sooner.

After dinner, I would suggest heading into Ketchum, to check out the night life, or just go over to the Duchin Room for drinks and live music in the Lodge.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Back up to Galena Summit area to snow cat up the other side of the valley, deep into the back country. Hosted lunch is provided.

dinner that evening is Bowling, Beer & Pizza in the basement of the Lodge. I am hosting, starting about 6 ish.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Skiing/boarding, ice staking, X-country skiing, hot springs, Spa, shopping, snow shoeing, etc etc etc

check out, saying our good byes, and wishing that we stay a little longer:

now, if you wish to stay a couple extra days, Sun Valley will honor these rates 3 days prior and 3 days following our gathering, the lift tickets are discounted to $92.00 per day or $177.00 for 2 days or $260.00 for 3 days for your entire stay. you may want to add at least one extra day, I am planning to go to the Soldier Mountain area snow catting on Tuesday, another great back country spot. There is so much to do, boarding, skiing X country skiing, Spa, ice staking, hot springs, movie theater, dining, snow shoeing, etc etc etc and extra day or two is warranted.

fyi, both Delta and Alaska Airlines have direct flights into Sun Valley, I know for a fact there will be plenty of extra seats, you do not need to bring a snow cat to come and make some new cat friends.

Attachments

• s-l1600-9.jpg
    s-l1600-9.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:

Sno-Surfer

This sounds fantastic! Thank you for organizing this event Princess!! We are planning to attend. The extra day or two also sounds well worth it. :thumbup:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
As we wait for the reservation code, thought I would give you cat crazy folks the schedule for the 'Snow Cat Serenade' a 'Gathering of Old Grousers'

First, and really important, all rooms are at the Sun Valley Inn, I have a block of rooms reserved. You are reasonable for making you own reservations and you will need the reservation code to get the preferred rate of $220.00 for a Luxury King and $240.00 for 2 Luxury Queens, plus tax of 18%, these rates apply only at the Sun Valley Inn.

I would strongly suggest that you make your reservation within the next 60 days....I will have the code by the 10th of October.

Friday, March 13, 2020,

Arrive and check in at Sun Valley Inn, dinner on your own and or with friends,
about 7:30 pm meet me in the Rams Head Lounge for after dinner drinks, I am Hosting. will hand out packets with info and stuff for the weekend, you will really need this packet to ensure you know where to go and when to meet up, also set up group TEXT, which is really helpful way to stay in touch.

Saturday, March 14, 2020,

Back country snow catting, we will be going north of Ketchum/Sun Valley up the Wood River Valley towards Galena Summit. Hosted lunch is Provided.

Dinner will be a horse drawn sleigh ride to Trail Creek Cabin. These dinners are 4 course, fabulous food and the cabin is truly rustic, with live music. and the sleigh ride back under the stars is so memorable. You will need to make your own reservations when you check in if not sooner.

After dinner, I would suggest heading into Ketchum, to check out the night life, or just go over to the Duchin Room for drinks and live music in the Lodge.

Sunday, March 15, 2020

Back up to Galena Summit area to snow cat up the other side of the valley, deep into the back country. Hosted lunch is provided.

dinner that evening is Bowling, Beer & Pizza in the basement of the Lodge. I am hosting, starting about 6 ish.

Monday, March 16, 2020

Skiing/boarding, ice staking, X-country skiing, hot springs, Spa, shopping, snow shoeing, etc etc etc

check out, saying our good byes, and wishing that we stay a little longer:

now, if you wish to stay a couple extra days, Sun Valley will honor these rates 3 days prior and 3 days following our gathering, the lift tickets are discounted to $92.00 per day or $177.00 for 2 days or $260.00 for 3 days for your entire stay. you may want to add at least one extra day, I am planning to go to the Soldier Mountain area snow catting on Tuesday, another great back country spot. There is so much to do, boarding, skiing, X country skiing, Spa, ice staking, hot springs, movie theater, dining, snow shoeing, etc etc etc and extra day or two is warranted.

fyi, both Delta and Alaska Airlines have direct flights into Sun Valley, I know for a fact there will be plenty of extra seats, you do not need to bring a snow cat to come and make some new cat friends.

forgot to add, we will have an experienced USFS back country person coming along to make sure we get into the remote parts of the Sawtooths and the back country skiing should be as good as it gets, as, we will the only ones there...

Attachments

• s-l1600-13.jpg
    s-l1600-13.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian and Brian Jr are in! Wife and youngest have to sit out this one out unfortunately.

We will be chasing fresh tracks and open sno cat seats! Thanks in advance.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian and Brian Jr are in! Wife and youngest have to sit out this one out unfortunately.

We will be chasing fresh tracks and open sno cat seats! Thanks in advance.

chase away and so glad to have Brian and Brian coming...

Attachments

• s-l1600-28.jpg
    s-l1600-28.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 549

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for setting this up but i'm not sure about me going. I just opened a go fund account and we'll see how that goes.
jim

Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for setting this up but i'm not sure about me going. I just opened a go fund account and we'll see how that goes.
jim

Jim VT, I have serval big bags of pop cans that I can contribute to your "go fund me to sun valley" account, very worthy cause.

really counting on the snow trac mafia and Lyndon coming, it is only 655 miles to" Snow Cat Serenade", a "gathering of old grousers" that is 3 tanks of gas, and if share your room with 2 queen beds, you get your per night cost down to $67.00 per night, Saturday and Sunday lunch is free and Sunday night dinner is also free, have a couple boxes of corn flakes I will donate to the cause.....

not sure a snow cat event would be the same.....without you and the snow cat mafia/Lyndon

Attachments

• s-l1600-8.jpg
    s-l1600-8.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 539

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
attention attention attention............

here is the link for making reservation for the snow cat serenade

https://www.sunvalley.com/trip-planner/groups/0320SNOC

When you click on the link, it will direct you to the Sun Valley web page, then in about 30 seconds, it will pull up the sno cat gathering reservation page, and from there you can make your reservation, by using this link, you will get the preferred rate for the event and do remember we are staying in the Sun Valley Inn. Please, if you can, make your reservation within the next 60 days.

thank you in advance

Pontoon Priceness

:eatdrink: :eatdrink: :eatdrink:

PS. just made my reservation using the weblink and wow, it was easy....

Attachments

• s-l1600-38.jpg
    s-l1600-38.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
even way back when in 1958, everyone knew were the action was, come and join the gathering of old grousers.....

Attachments

• s-l1600-2.jpg
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 470

olympicorange

attention attention attention............

here is the link for making reservation for the snow cat serenade

https://www.sunvalley.com/trip-planner/groups/0320SNOC

When you click on the link, it will direct you to the Sun Valley web page, then in about 30 seconds, it will pull up the sno cat gathering reservation page, and from there you can make your reservation, by using this link, you will get the preferred rate for the event and do remember we are staying in the Sun Valley Inn. Please, if you can, make your reservation within the next 60 days.

thank you in advance

Pontoon Priceness

:eatdrink: :eatdrink: :eatdrink:

PS. just made my reservation using the weblink and wow, it was easy....

… looks like quite a place ,... I have a friend that grew up there , and moved east in her younger years... she has some great stories..... the valley of the superstars, entertainers, the rich& famous.... sounds like a cool place to gather …...Enjoy ...woooooo….

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
… looks like quite a place ,... I have a friend that grew up there , and moved east in her younger years... she has some great stories..... the valley of the superstars, entertainers, the rich& famous.... sounds like a cool place to gather …...Enjoy ...woooooo….

I also grew up there, till I was 15 and the family moved back to portland, yup, there are many many stories to tell, did not need to be rich to have a life full of riches...

starting with the first vehicle I learned to drive, was a Tucker...Tony Bennett singing Moon River on the ski bus, watch Jean Claude Killy win ski races, and having Warren Miller camp out in our driveway, Peggy Fleming skate, etc etc etc

FYI, it is darn easy to fly into sun valley now days, get to Chicago and it is a direct flight from there...

pretty sure, you would consider it well worth your time to come

Attachments

• s-l1600-33.jpg
    s-l1600-33.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
PP
"am planning to go to the Soldier Mountain area snow catting on Tuesday, another great back country spot. "

Assuming this involves trailering to Soldier,
one is only an hour from this rather unique 'Apres Catting' spot. And hardly out of one's way if heading on home westbound ��

http://trinityhotsprings.club/

olympicorange

I also grew up there, till I was 15 and the family moved back to portland, yup, there are many many stories to tell, did not need to be rich to have a life full of riches...

starting with the first vehicle I learned to drive, was a Tucker...Tony Bennett singing Moon River on the ski bus, watch Jean Claude Killy win ski races, and having Warren Miller camp out in our driveway, Peggy Fleming skate, etc etc etc

FYI, it is darn easy to fly into sun valley now days, get to Chicago and it is a direct flight from there...

pretty sure, you would consider it well worth your time to come

….. Very cool,.. TY,.. that's awesome,... thank you for invite , .. and i'm sure its an event not to miss,.. wish I could fit it in ,... I don't believe I can swing it , on many levels,... my loss for sure,.....

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Question: Parking for trucks with trailers, is there plenty at the Sun Valley Inn? Last year when I went to the Colorado jamboree, I had issues finding parking in the town I stayed in (Frisco, Silverthorne, and Dillon). What I found was a town set up for SUV's, not trucks with trailers, there were some great challenges finding parking.

I am hoping to bring Frandee - 37, but have some issues. My son should be graduating from Marine boot camp that Friday. If I can pull this off I will bring the Frandee to Bellevue or Hailey and find a storage place to keep it early in the week then fly out of Hailey to the graduation, then fly back Friday night, pick up the cat and see everyone Saturday morning. If I can pull this off I will need some help with obtaining the Friday night information that will be given out since I will not be able to attend the meeting.

If I can come I have invited some Frandee/Thiokol royalty to ride with me. I have made friends with the Daughter of Ross Eskelson, he is the one who wrote the masters thesis on snowcats at the Utah State Agricultural College, worked on the Frandee development, and worked at the Logan Utah plant where he developed the Imp, as well as others. Some of you have heard of him. If Doreen and her husband can come it would be very nice if they could catch a ride or two in some of the other brands of snowcats.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Question: Parking for trucks with trailers, is there plenty at the Sun Valley Inn? Last year when I went to the Colorado jamboree, I had issues finding parking in the town I stayed in (Frisco, Silverthorne, and Dillon). What I found was a town set up for SUV's, not trucks with trailers, there were some great challenges finding parking.

I am hoping to bring Frandee - 37, but have some issues. My son should be graduating from Marine boot camp that Friday. If I can pull this off I will bring the Frandee to Bellevue or Hailey and find a storage place to keep it early in the week then fly out of Hailey to the graduation, then fly back Friday night, pick up the cat and see everyone Saturday morning. If I can pull this off I will need some help with obtaining the Friday night information that will be given out since I will not be able to attend the meeting.

If I can come I have invited some Frandee/Thiokol royalty to ride with me. I have made friends with the Daughter of Ross Eskelson, he is the one who wrote the masters thesis on snowcats at the Utah State Agricultural College, worked on the Frandee development, and worked at the Logan Utah plant where he developed the Imp, as well as others. Some of you have heard of him. If Doreen and her husband can come it would be very nice if they could catch a ride or two in some of the other brands of snowcats.

nice to hear you are trying to make it work for you,

As for parking, there is the lot adjacent to the Sun Valley Inn and there is a much larger general lot that can handle pickups with trailers without issues, that will would the best place to park with the rigs, about the same distance from either lot to the Inn,

as for the info pack, I can email you the info when it gets closer to the event, and you should be good to go and, happy to make it work for you so Saturday goes well for you and you get to the location without issue.

I will, if you wish, follow up with a couple of folks about parking your rig with them in advance of the event.

quite sure you will find serval open seats for your guests.