• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HOT DOGS: Ketchup or Mustard?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
hot-dog-costumes.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a lot of bad things in my life but noody but nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog.
Clint.jpg

Harry Calahan.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I like both unless I have sauerkraut then mustard only. I don't know with the hair on my dogs though. :unsure:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like both unless I have sauerkraut then mustard only. I don't know with the hair on my dogs though. :unsure:
Weenie dogs are good no matter how you have them!:yum:

Here's Gretchen, sans mustard or ketchup..:smile:
She tends to object if I pour either on her head.:biggrin:

gretchen6.jpg

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a lab that I used to put a cooking on her nose and she would eat her till I told OK. Never thought about putting mustard on their head though.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen a lot of bad things in my life but noody but nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog.
Clint.jpg

Harry Calahan.
There is a hot dog place in Richmond that serves the best hot dogs around. He uses Vienna Beef dogs, and will not serve ketchup if you are over 17. They are dressed with a lot of other things, and I have grown to like dogs sans ketchup.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
All this hot dog talk has me hungry.
Guess I'll go plop one in the nuker 'til plump, then add some mustard and onion, praying the heartburn monsters don't come calling.
Night!

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
There is a hot dog place in Richmond that serves the best hot dogs around. He uses Vienna Beef dogs, and will not serve ketchup if you are over 17. They are dressed with a lot of other things, and I have grown to like dogs sans ketchup.

Being a hot dog fan when younger (in my 40's, I can't handle them much today) at any rate I've eaten them at a lot of places from ball games to movie theaters to even Coney Island. The best hot dogs I've ever had was a place in south Miami called Arbettor's. Now I don't know if it is still there but the old man died right after we left Miami about 15 years ago. I had only been back there once and his son was running it. They also had a number of toppings. Lum's was another great hot dog/bar/restaurant type place but have been gone for 30 years or so. They steamed all their hot dogs in beer.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
this is my input-
Doesn't say where the tomatoes are grown or where the ketchup is made. Only where the money is made.

W ketchup is better made and organic. It is harder to buy, internet only" and not as cheap or convenient as Heinz. But Senator Kerry gets enough money, he doesn't need mine.

I just think someone who wears his partriotism on his sleeve ought to use American labor and ingredients in his products.

Besides, the W is better tasting and better for you.

PM me your address, I'll send you some.

franc

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
this is my input-

Mine is Mickey's on Mannheim road in Bellwood IL. Poppyseed bun, very green(cannot be good for you) pickle, onion and all beef. Likely steamed for days. Wrapped in waxpaper with fries(skin still on).

I have driven to Chicago from St Louis where I now live, just for a Mickey's.
Ketchup? Never. Not even on the fries.

However, if I had to eat a weiner dog, I would likely drown it in ketchup. Gallons of it.

franc

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Never heard of Red Gold brand up here. Here, it's mainly Heinz or that no name crap that's red and looks somewhat like Ketchup but sure doesn't taste like it. So Heinz it is!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I rarely use ketchup at home.
Chili sauce tastes better on fries, meatloaf etc..
It's got a little zing to it.
Heinz or the Del Monte brand.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife makes ours most years. If we run out it is usually Heinz. Don't use that much really.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
only other ketchup i'll ingest is an umami ketchup Chef taught us a recipe for. it took a few to get used to, was coarse in texture,- i should find that recipe.

you won't find ketchup besides heinz in restaurants & that

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Best BBQ sauce recipe

One bottle of "W" Ketchup
One bottle of Sam Adams Boston lager.
One quarter cup of finely diced celery
One large yellow onion diced small
one TBLSPN of Black strap molasses
one clove of fresh garlic crushed
one dash of sea salt
one TSPN ground ginger or ginger pwder
one quarter cup virgin olive oil

Heat oil in a saucpan and carmelize onions and garlic.
Sip Sams Beer
Add celery, salt,ginger and sautee' for a minute
Sip Sams beer
add molases, Ketchup and ...
Sip Sam's one more time, dump the rest(should be about 1/2 the bottle)
I DID SAY "SIP" THE BEER.
:whistling:
Get another Sam's beer
Bring to a boil and then,,,,
Sip Sam's beer.

Simmer on low to medium heat for about ten minutes
or
until second beer is finished.

Spread liberaly on porksteaks or ribs as they grill.

I can honestly say, I do not KNOW if this recipe works with Heinz. But you can try it.:unsure:

franc

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mustard and Ketchup both, maybe with relish and onion. Put the condiments in the bun first then the dog. It saves the clean up of the mustache. Been doing that for years.