• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New garden spot

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We've had our garden over at a friends the past few years and although it's just a mile away, it was a PITA to get over there to manage it.

So, I decided to pop one into the yard.

The problem is, it's on a hill. Erosion in heavy rains could make a mess of things. So, I need some fill dirt to raise it up to get it closer to level. Hmmm, looks like a nice place for a driveway.

So, I dig up the topsoil from both locations and make a pile. I then dig the driveway area out deeper and use the fill dirt from the driveway to raise the garden bed. The driveway area is about 2200 sq ft so at an average of 9", that gave me about 60 yards of fill dirt to raise the garden closer to level.

A little geotextile and 125 tons of stone and the driveway is in place.

After compacting the fill in the garden, spread out the topsoil, give it a coat of lime then 3 dump truck loads of manure to top it off. Manure after tilling is running about 8" thick. :smile:

I was hoping to wait until spring to fence it in but I can't keep the dog out of rolling around in the manure so I may have to put it up this weekend.

Come on Spring!!! Let's plant something.

Attachments

• CIMG8332.jpg
    CIMG8332.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8346.jpg
    CIMG8346.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8463.jpg
    CIMG8463.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8469.jpg
    CIMG8469.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8557.jpg
    CIMG8557.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8561.jpg
    CIMG8561.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 27
  • CIMG8564.jpg
    CIMG8564.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would let it settle till spring and plow that manure down then relime it. The plants will need the decaying stuff down deep to get their roots down. If it gets hard a load of sand does wonders tilled in. That is what I did for our clay up here.