• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Western Australia

daedong

I'm on holidays in WA. Flew into Perth yesterday and picked up a hire car. We are here in the west for a fortnight. At present we are in a little town by the name of Dongara about 400 Km north of Perth. We are heading as far as Carnarvon where my daughter lives.

Today when and looked at the Pinnacles here is some info on them. http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_australia/pinnacles_desert.html

The_Pinnacles_view-LaRuth-2006.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kewl stuff Vin. Thanks for sharing.

I dug up a map to help see where bouts you are. Not the best but it gave me the general idea.

Attachments

• australia_hotel_Map.gif
    australia_hotel_Map.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 219

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Vin. Hmm, I thought up there was where you lived and were coming from. If you get a chance how about marking where your home base is and your vacation home where you do your boating. Since you flew into Perth they must not be that close.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Vin lives Northeast of Adelaide about 1 hour and 45 mins (State of South Australia) in Waikerie. Maitland is in the heart of the York Peninsula about 3 hours 45 mins from Vin's home. I think it was in Maitland that we met the town mayor....he was a US ex pat and come to think of it, I think he was from Oklahoma! I'll have to check with CB but I think that is correct and we were stunned to be so far from home and meet someone from our part of the US. Vin and Mary, I'm craving a good ole Aussie meat pie!

South Australia
south-australia.jpg

Zoom in York Peninsula
YORKE.GIF

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks CG. That nails it. :D I know a couple folks who used to live in Ohio that are residents of Sydney now (at least the last I heard (10+ yrs ago) that's where they were).

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Cool. You're near Geraldton!!!

(only two Geraldton's in the world...I'm in one, you're near the other)

daedong

Met up with my daughter in Carnarvon. We stayed with her for a night then we all headed north camping for a few days. We went snorkelling on the Nigaloo reef at Coral Bay, then headed further north to Exmouth and the Cape Range National Park. At Exmouth there is a joint US / Australian naval communications base (yes - we do actually work together!!)

This part of Australia is a vast empty desert, you can travel 300 miles between towns, and you won't see a single power line, house or building. Yet towns like Geraldton and Exmouth thrive on tourism. The coast is beautiful and there is great, safe swimming as the beaches are protected by coral reefs not far off the beach.

I haven't taken many photos, but here are a few. Oh, by the way the area is rich in minerals, there is lots of mining and it is often hauled by road to ports on the coast for export to China.

If you look closely in the first picture you can see some antennas in the distance that are part of the low frequency communication system.

Attachments

• Maitland and WA 167s.jpg
    Maitland and WA 167s.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Maitland and WA 165ss.jpg
    Maitland and WA 165ss.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 189

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics Vin. Beautiful.

Didn't you visit any topless beaches? :poke: :D

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing Vin. On my map of the world, Australia and New Zealand are two of the places I'd like to visit that I've yet to see. Due to current world conditions, some places have been marked off of my "gotta go there" map. I realize New Zealand is considerably smaller than Australia so I figure there would be fewer places on the "gotta see" list there. I have no clue as to what I "gotta see" in Australia. I enjoy seeing pictures and comments on the area to help choose where I want to go. Be safe and enjoy! :flowers:

daedong

A few more pics, bit boring I know! Does anyone know what tree this is?

Attachments

• guess.jpg
    guess.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 156
  • WA 005ss.jpg
    WA 005ss.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 161

daedong

Ditto

Attachments

• WA April 25 009s.jpg
    WA April 25 009s.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 136
  • WA April 25 008s.jpg
    WA April 25 008s.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 138
  • WA April 25 011s.jpg
    WA April 25 011s.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 146
  • WA April 25 005s.jpg
    WA April 25 005s.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 138

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've never seen a grader anything like that. Looks like it would work though.
Good pics Vin. Thanks for sharing.

daedong

I'm back in better country now, high rainfall. In the last 2 days we have driven through some of the earliest settled areas in Western Australia with some really interesting colonial architecture.

Attachments

• WA April 25 014York.jpg
    WA April 25 014York.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 120
  • WA April 25 001post.jpg
    WA April 25 001post.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 115
  • WA April 25 029road.jpg
    WA April 25 029road.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 113
  • WA April 25 034pad.jpg
    WA April 25 034pad.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 113

AndyM

Charter Member
In the last 2 days we have driven through some of the earliest settled areas in Western Australia with some really interesting colonial architecture.

When would you estimate that area was settled? How many people would you guess are in the towns you pictured above?

(Sorry for the silly questions, but as someone who doesn't get to travel very far, I'm really interested in your photos)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow Vin, if I didn't know better, I'd have thought those last 4 photos were someplace here in America!
Nice :)

daedong

Andy, the area was first settled in the late 1820s. those pictures above were taken in towns with populations of less than 6000.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

Here you go Vin

Power Grader

Complete with Advertising Ad

My grandfather had one or a grader that looked just like that with no motor that was horse drawn. Had the big round wheels for changing the level of each side. When kid I use to run the grader while my uncle pulled it with a John Deere A tractor. He had to tell me which wheel to run up and down. Ok he had to yell at me cause he never told me right the first time. :whistling:

daedong

Today's pics.

Sorry about the lack of order.

We went to the Fremantle Gaol. It is now closed, it was built by the convicts back in the 1850's. Western Australia was originally a free settled colony, but they brought in convicts as they ran into financial trouble.

They have a church in the gaol, the commandments were painted by a convict, apparently they changed VI from thou shalt not "kill" to "murder", as it was legal to kill in war and to execute someone.

The first person executed in WA was a 14 year old, who was actually innocent. The last person executed in Australia was in the 1967, he too was later found to be innocent.

I liked the car in the middle of the photos, I saw it parked at the beach. It is a Cobra.

The last photo is of the marina at Mandurah, south of Perth. I don't think the photo does it justice, there were some pretty amazing houses and boats.

Attachments

• behindbars.jpg
    behindbars.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 128
  • cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 104
  • commandment.jpg
    commandment.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 109
  • death.jpg
    death.jpg