• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you eat fast food?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am trying hard to watch sodium intake and some of these are amazing.
February 9, 2010 by Dr. Mark Wiley

unhealthy_america_image.jpg
Given our fast-paced, stressed-to-the-max lifestyle, it is no wonder that 25 percent of Americans eat at fast-food restaurants every day! That’s one in four people opting for low nutrition, high calorie, bad tasting, done-in-a-jiffy food. And it’s killing us.
Diseases like obesity, high blood pressure, fatty liver and high cholesterol are more prevalent in today’s high-tech health-conscience society than in the past, when we were ignorant about such things. And there’s truly no excuse for it!
One look at Eric Schlosser’s documentary, Fast Food Nation, tells the tale in all its devastating morbidity. Forget about E.coli and sub-standard working conditions and the tumors cut off the sides of beef before processing it for burgers done “your way.” Forget about the cheap toys restaurants like McDonald’s and Burger King use to attract the kids, and by extension the family, in for a potentially life-shortening meal.
Let’s talk good health and stick to the facts. In terms of food, that means keeping a tight leash on calories, fat, cholesterol and sodium. And if we Americans are too tied to our fatty burgers and deep fried chicken, or we’re just too pressed for time and money to make the necessary change… then at least we can face the enemy armed with the truth about our fast-food indulgence.
I was in the process of researching the nutritional facts from 12 of the more popular chains when a copy of Aramark Corporation’s “Guide to Fast Food” came across my desk. In this little gem I found the “tale of the tape” on 20 of the country’s most popular fast food chains. Starbucks, too! And if you think eating at Subway is good for you because of that guy from the commercial… think again. And if you think chicken served in these restaurants is a better choice than beef… you’ve been misled.
Of the 20 fast food restaurants listed in the guide I’ve culled information from 12, and I call them “The Dirty Dozen.” Below are some tables based on the information published by Aramark, as provided by the franchises themselves, or found on their websites. I call these tables, “The Worst of the Worst” (i.e., things never to eat), and “The Best of the Worst” (i.e., things almost never to eat). I then list the worst and best from the selected Dirty Dozen, in terms of overall numbers of calories, fat, cholesterol and sodium.
The Worst of the Worst
Calories
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Cholesterol (mg)
Sodium (mg)
Baskin-Robbins Chocolate Shake
750​
80​
43​
115​
290​
Boston Market 1/4 Dark Meat w/ Skin
320​
2​
21​
180​
460​
Burger King BK Big Fish Sandwich
710​
67​
38​
105​
1110​
Dairy Queen Grilled Chicken Filet Sandwich
310​
30​
10​
50​
1040​
Domino’s Pepperoni Hand Tossed (2 SL)
448​
55​
18​
38​
776​
Dunkin’ Donuts Blueberry Muffin
490​
76​
17​
75​
610​
KFC Hot & Spicy Chicken Breast
505​
23​
29​
162​
1170​
Krispy Kreme Glazed Devil’s Food Donut
390​
41​
24​
5​
250​
McDonald’s Biscuit w/ Bacon, Egg, Cheese
540​
36​
34​
250​
1550​
Subway
6" Subway Club, Cold
294​
40​
5​
30​
1250​
Taco Bell
Taco Salad w/ Salsa
850​
65​
52​
60​
1780​
Wendy’s Big Bacon Classic
580​
45​
31​
95​
1500​

The Best of the Worst
Calories
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Cholesterol (mg)
Sodium (mg)
Baskin-Robbins Ice Daiquiri Scoop
130​
33​
0​
0​
10​
Boston Market Steamed Vegetables
35​
7​
0.05​
0​
35​
Burger King Small Hash Browns
240​
25​
15​
0​
460​
Dairy Queen Fudge Bar (No Sugar Added)
50​
13​
0​
0​
70​
Domino’s Cheese hand Tossed (2 SL)
375​
55​
11​
23​
776​
Dunkin’ Donuts Low-Fat Bran Muffin
260​
59​
2​
0​
440​
KFC Mashed Potatoes w/ Gravy
120​
17​
6​
0​
440​
Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Donut
210​
18​
16​
40​
800​
McDonald’s Hash Browns
130​
14​
8​
0​
330​
Subway Veggie Delight
200​
37​
2.5​
0​
500​
Taco Bell
Taco
170​
12​
10​
30​
330​
Wendy’s Small French Fries
270​
35​
13​
0​
85​

The Worst and Best of the Worst Highest Calories 890 Pizza Hut—Medium Stuffed Crust Cheese Pizza (2 slices) Lowest Calories 35 Boston Market—Steamed Veggies Highest Carbohydrates (g) 0 Pizza Hut—Medium Cheese Stuffed-Crust Pizza (2 slices) Lowest Carbohydrates (g) 0 Boston Market—1/4 White Meat, No skin, Without Wing Highest Fat (g) 52 Taco Bell—Taco Salad w/ Salsa Lowest Fat (g) 0 Baskin Robbins—Ice Daiquiri, Regular Scoup Highest Cholesterol (mg) 250 Burger King—Croissan’wich w/ Sausage, Egg, Cheese Highest Cholesterol (mg) 250 McDonald’s—Biscuit w/ Bacon, Egg, Cheese Lowest Cholesterol (mg) 0 Plenty of items with no Cholesterol, such as plain baked potato, steamed veggies, salads without dressing, water Highest Sodium (mg) 2,180 Pizza Hut—Medium Stuffed Crust Cheese Pizza (2 slices) Lowest Sodium (mg) 10 Baskin Robbins—Ice Daiquiri, Regular Scoop
And the big looser is… Pizza Hut. It ranked No. 1 on three of the Worst of the Worst lists. And that’s no great achievement!
Ok, so now you know that what seemed “good” (e.g., chicken, turkey, fish) is actually bad when prepared the fast food way, in terms of calories, fat, carbohydrates, cholesterol and sodium content. And you also know that what these chains serve up as “good for you” food is as boring as a collection of ballpoint pen tops. But you’ve just got to eat fast food because time and money are rooting for the dark side. So where does that leave us…
Well, here are some tips, if you absolutely MUST eat fast food:

1. Go for the salads, veggies, potatoes (no sour cream or bacon)
  2. Broiled is better than fried
  3. Never eat anything breaded
  4. Deep fried is out of the question
  5. Water is the only drink for you
  6. Hold the salt, there’s plenty already in there
  7. No desert, thank you.
But the real issue here is being responsible and taking control of your own health and wellness… and by extension, your longevity. How about working on time management and money allocation? How about preparing your lunch the night before and brown bagging it a couple days a week? Then, with the money you’ve saved on food, and the time you’ve saved going to the death chain, you can treat yourself to a better-for-you meal at a nicer restaurant with more choices.
In the end, the fast food restaurants and the doctors you’ll see for your cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes and cancer don’t give a damn about you. It’s only you and the ones that love you who care. And if you don’t care enough about yourself, then how about taking care of No. 1 for the people who love you?
So it’s time again to eat and a decision is eminent. You can easily choose the fast food road to death. Or you can make the lifestyle change necessary to extend yourself a healthy and happy life. It’s your choice.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I am trying to avoid so much fast food these days, and to eat healthier.

Like my breakfast this morning, egg beaters-vegetarian sausage links and a bagel (slathered in butter lol)..
:biggrin:
2010-02-09 09-08-36.558.jpg

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What in the heck are veggie sausage links made with? I use the smart balance instead of butter.

Treefriend

Banned
I used to love the bacon cheese burger from Kidd Valley and the Dick's Deluxe,

but I gave them up a long time ago. Last time I did fast food was about a month

ago and I went to Taco Hell. I could not believe I had paid good money for that

bland, generic crappola. I can do 100% better for less money, why go to those

garbage cans?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
When I travel a couple of times a year, I will go for a subway sandwich but other than that I really don't. I can't remember the last time I had a hamburger that I didn't make myself. My kids and grand kids are a different story, they can't survive with out fast foods.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i am addicted to fast food! BK, McDs, ect ect.

although possibly my favortie place to go, tho, is subway!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck PG they have almost as much sodium as the ones I eat now. Guess I will stay with what I have been eating for breakfast links. I know the McDonalds breakfast is the worst ones for sodium and I love them. I am better off eating a sit down meal at our local places.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep it is the old "if it tastes good spit it out" cause it is bad for you routine. I am amazed how much sodium is in stuff since I started really watching out for it.:hammer:

Gina

I don't eat much fast food. Maybe once a month or less sometimes. When my kids were little and had loads of activities, we used to hit it a couple times a weeks, especially if there were games on weekends and such. I still think I did a good job avoiding it as much as possible though by cooking meals ahead of time to reheat, setting up the oven to bake something while we were out, or to take to the venue if it was outside.

When I travel a couple of times a year, I will go for a subway sandwich but other than that I really don't. I can't remember the last time I had a hamburger that I didn't make myself. My kids and grand kids are a different story, they can't survive with out fast foods.

Subway! That's my usual now. No, I don't always get the "Jared Special", but it's more healthy than burgers and fries. I usually get a foot long and save half for lunch the next day.

However, I do love a good BK burger every now and again.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I usually split a foot long but have never tried the Jared Special. I usually get the Spicy Italian with everything on it. Neither of us can eat a whole one anymore. I can't remember the last time I ate a potato chip actually or a piece of cake. Never was much on such things.

BamsBBQ

My wife and I usually split a foot long but have never tried the Jared Special. I usually get the Spicy Italian with everything on it. Neither of us can eat a whole one anymore. I can't remember the last time I ate a potato chip actually or a piece of cake. Never was much on such things.

same sub i get...occasionally get the meatball sub but cannot finish a whole one myself either anymore...

the worse fast food not mentioned on the McD's menu is the McGriddle

i eat fast food all the time, not that i want to its just whats usually around when i am working

Treefriend

Banned
Subway always smells like mold to me. Plus, I can get an Italian BMT

and still feel hungry. It's like there's no there there.

Addicted is the right word. Processed food is like processed coca leaves.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter

never smelled mold in a subway. 'its like there's no there there' eh?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

Step away from the medicine cabinet Treefriend . This Smells like Mold , A good steak looks like P##p ( Sorry that was even hard for me to spell out ) :whistling: . Some great movie actors are Nutcases . & Some actresses You think are hot , While were at it Dont save an eagle because of they might loose there sence of smell , But Someone was doing a good thing trying to save the Bird We all have come to respect ( OK Most ) as a symbol for freedom & the USA .

Thats just the things that come to mind . But Explains Why things in the late 80,s aren,t quite clear to you these days . Sorry but your so far over the top sometimes its damn near funny . Recon you,ll take this as bein crucified again . Nuthin personall , People like you worry me , & I mean that in the kindest way . :biggrin:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I eat Mcdee's, (big mac) Dairy Queen, (chili cheese dog) once a week. It's good stuff man!!

Who cares whats in it - as long as it tastes good - and makes you feel good?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
subway sandwich store, fool, :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

btw, tsaw, you should drop in and check out net car stop. theres a link in my sig! :thumb:

norscaner

I wish I was like you Tsaw.
Fastfood usually builds up such a bad gas problem that I stay away from it, I can scorch the seatcovers in my vehicle just by eating at McD's.
In all truth I don't like fast food it usually has too much salt and just makes me want beer.:w00t2:
Or that is what I tell my sweety .

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
There is a place in Miami called Arbetter's that had the best hot dogs I have ever had. They are located on Bird Rd and about 87th ave. Those where the best dogs served with sour kraut, chili, or how ever you wanted them. All great quality dogs and ingredients. Don't know about now since the old man died just after I left that area and his son's took over.

BamsBBQ

There is a place in Miami called Arbetter's that had the best hot dogs I have ever had. They are located on Bird Rd and about 87th ave. Those where the best dogs served with sour kraut, chili, or how ever you wanted them. All great quality dogs and ingredients. Don't know about now since the old man died just after I left that area and his son's took over.
They are absolutely horrible now... My bros & I all took 2 bites and threw them away..I stayed down the street for 2 months

the fries were good..lol