• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WE are coming to the USA

daedong

This week we have made bookings for campsites at Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and a place called Lone Pine. We had a bit of a problem with the payment, but after 3 phone calls to the US and some interesting discussions with government departments we eventually got it sorted out. Yosemite had better be worth it, because I suspect the phone calls will have cost more than the booking .

Doc should I start a new thread in the travel forum or could this thread be moved there?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin,

It's your thread. You make the call if you want it moved to the travel forum.

I'm heading on a trip this summer myself. Like you, I'm going to several National Parks. It was suggested I buy a park pass that gets me into any/all national parks for the year. It's a lot cheaper than buying a pass at each park. I don't have the details on price or where to get them but I'll post once I get it figured out myself.

Brian

daedong

You can get them over the net, they won't send them out of the USA. You can also get them the first National Park you come to.

Brian, I started this thread before the travel thread opened. if it could be moved there it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc should I start a new thread in the travel forum or could this thread be moved there?

Vin, like Brian said, it's your call. For the travel contest I think a new thread would be in order, but it's totally up to you.
Click the report this post button and tell us you want the whole thread moved when / if that is your decision.

I was in Pittsburg a while back and remember driving by part of downtown where they had a setup like the flats in Cleveland. I did not stop, but was wondering if something like that would be a fun way to spend an afternoon / evening with Vin and anyone else who could make it.
If Vin likes the idea we'll need to help him find a place close by .....or maybe he'd want to stay in a hotel like others of us would for that night.
Pittsburgh seems central to many FF members. Some might even consider flying in for the party.
Sound interesting?

daedong

Doc,
I've no idea what the flats in Cleveland are, but whatever you suggest is fine with me. Not fussed if we camp or stay in a hotel in Pittsburgh. Our itinerary is pretty vague for the last half of the trip. We plan to leave Texas on the 29th September and head north. We fly out of Philadelphia on the 19th October. We expect we would be in Illinois by about the 2nd October. No real plans from there except a trip to Niagara Falls and a few days in Washington, the rest is just take it as it comes. The weekend of the 11th and 12th looks best for Pittsburgh, but the previous weekend 4th and 5th would be ok as well, so whatever is most convenient for you to organise.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds great Vin. Now we have two weekends to work with. :thumb:

So we don't clog up Vin's thread how about PM'ing me with details on my Pittsburg suggestion. If not Pittsburg I know a few good places in Columbus and it sounds like both towns will be on your route from IL to PA.

daedong

Tipping is not customary in Australia and I'm a bit confused as to when to use it. Am I right in thinking that I need to tip in restaurants and hotels, but you don't have to tip shop assistants in places like Walmart do you? Please fill me in on the custom and is it uniform through out the USA?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Restaurants always, so long as one (or more) servers is obviously assigned to serve your food. It is figured by everyone that tips averaging 15% is part of their wages. But adjust that up or down from 15% to thank excellent service, or emphasize poor service.

Likewise in a bar if the service is as good as you might hope, otherwise you might just leave the odd change.

But not in a McDonalds-type setting, or a fancier 'all you can eat' cafeteria where you carry your own food to the table. In a fancier cafeteria you might leave a small, and optional, tip if someone is obviously assigned to your table and has been unusually attentive filling water, clearing dishes between courses, etc. In many cases there is a crew of real stupid kids in that role, no tip necessary.

I seldom have anyone handle luggage, so seldom tip for that.

Everyone knows that foreign tourists are unpredictable for tips so don't feel bad if you later realize you slighted someone. In fact Canadians are notorious for a never-tip attitude, they almost make a joke of it.

15% is figured on the cost before taxes. Around here there is usually about 7.5% taxes added to the bill so you can double the tax then /10 to estimate the tip; adjust slightly for differing local tax rates. Close enough.

Tipping is the custom only in the dining and lodging industries where serving you, creating a friendly atmosphere, is part of the entertainment.

Never, in retail shops.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Restaurants and bars/lounges I do. I expect a certain level of service and if you deliver that or more, you get a bonus.
Hotels, the bell hop if he/she helps me with the luggage. And room service delivery. But the room maids? No. I expect a clean room and I'm not going to tip someone for it, even though they often leave an envelope for that purpose.
Retail stores? No.
If I check my luggage at the airport curbside, yes. With the ticket counter agent? No.
Taxi's? Yes.
Around here the standard is maybe 15% but my wife complains I tip too well.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Tipping.

Unlike in Australia in the U.S. you do tip (and accordingly to how well you were served). Tipping is generally for food service (most frequent). BUT in hotels and such tipping is also a good idea. Here is a good guideline for you. In a restaurant 10% (of bill) is for average service. 15% is for really good service and 20% is for exceptional service. For hotels with prices in the $200+ dollar range and a bell man brings you your luggage $10 to $20 dollar tip. When you leave and they come to pick up your luggage the same thing applies. When you arrive and the Valet picks up your car a minimum of $5 is recommended. This will insure your car is kept as close as possible and gets back to you asap. When you present your valet ticket to get your car always try and get the same guy who parked it for you. He will remember the $5 spot you handed him the first time. If its not the same person then hand your ticket with $2 bucks to the person behind the desk. When it arrives give the driver a $5 spot ($5 dollar bill). Taxi drivers are a strange breed! Its hard to tell with them. I usually tip if the conversation is good and he is trying to really get you straight there. If not then no tip. BUT if you need a taxi ride back then you should grin and bear it....Tip a $5 spot. This is just a quick guidline. I worked for years in the hospitality field. Hope this helps. Also when you get here and if you have any questions just ask us.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Chris,
your package arrived yesterday (Thursday), I have had a quick look through and it looks like it will be quite valuable. Thanks very much, appreciated.

Frank,
I am considering purchasing a GPS when I get there as it works out quite expensive to rent with the car for the period I will need it.

Buy a TomTom! I bought one for my wife and it is as good as my $700 dollar unit! I paid $127. My brother just bought one, newer model $165 and he cant believe how good it is! THIS IS A MUST! It will help you out greatly! BOBP is our resident GPS GURU. Ask him what he recommends. Regardless which one you get ....GET A GPS!

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I guess a dumb question, can you get cash out at point of sale with a debit card (EFTPOS)
Some places. It's common to do this when you buy a week's groceries at the supermarket.

You will also find most banks have outdoor ATM's that honor other banks cards. You will find plenty of places to withdraw cash. It won't be an obstacle.

Be sure to contact your credit card company from your very own home phone before departing and advise them of your destination. Otherwise they may refuse overseas charges, assuming identity theft. 3 weeks ago we got a call from MasterCard asking for younger daughter. We replied she was out of the country and should have just landed in Spain. The woman on the line wouldn't give us a clue what she wanted but it was obvious that as my wife babbled on, describing the kid's itinerary, the security-desk lady was getting the answers she needed to allow a transaction in Barcelona. No further problem. We were fortunate that someone was here to receive the call.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I guess a dumb question, can you get cash out at point of sale with a debit card (EFTPOS)
It would be smart to ask before you purchase with the debit if they do give back cash. A good place to get cash back from a debit card would be a grocery store. You can buy a drink or a pack of gum and get cash back. Not all places that except debit will give cash back At my shop we don’t. I’m a Barber/Stylist and can except tips from your debit or charge, but can’t give you money back. I’m usually tipped about $5 for haircuts and $5 or more for chemicals taking an hour or more. There are a lot of tourist that get their hair cut while on vacation here in central Florida. Personally I would have it done before I left home
:wink:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would have it done before I left home
:wink:

Not all of us have a stylist living at home. :poke: :yankchain: :D

Seriously, I agree. You'd think they'd want to go to their regular barber or stylist. The ones you see must be on an extended vacation. Lucky ducks.

daedong

Ok 11 days to go, any last minute hints tips and help with my check list?

On the weekend I thought I had better check the Air New Zealand website (with whom we fly ) for baggage limits. Well bugger me dead I could not believe it. Each passenger is allowed one carry on bag (7kg) and 2 pieces of checked luggage each of 23 kg, a whopping total of 46kg. So guess what I am now bringing my own tent :clap: Home away from home!

Mary is getting anxious and guess what that means (snappy):hide:

Passingtime2

On the weekend I thought I had better check the Air New Zealand website (with whom we fly ) for baggage limits. Well bugger me dead I could not believe it. Each passenger is allowed one carry on bag (7kg) and 2 pieces of checked luggage each of 23 kg, a whopping total of 46kg. So guess what I am now bringing my own tent :clap: Home away from home!

Good luck with your trip. Will you have computer & internet access? We would love to read daily updates.

If not maybe you can use a computer from any one you visit and post up dates.

If you are on I-70 and in Kansas, my wife and I would love to meat you. Just PM me.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter

Do you have a final itinerary? I know you were planning to come through the Chicago area, but I don't recall the dates. I would most definitely like to meet up with you.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
Good luck with your trip. Will you have computer & internet access? We would love to read daily updates.

If not maybe you can use a computer from any one you visit and post up dates.

If you are on I-70 and in Kansas, my wife and I would love to meat you. Just PM me.

Nica,
He is passing through OK City on the 29th. CB, CG, Princess and I are all meeting them for lunch there since we will be coming back from Dallas that day.:thumb:

daedong

Nica,
Unfortunately we won't be getting to Kansas, we will be heading straight from Oklahoma City through Springfield to Chicago area.

Maybe you could come down to Oklahoma City and come out to lunch with CB, CG, Princess and rback?

Dave,
Likewise I would like to catch up, we plan to be in your area on the 4th or 5th October, hope you'll be free at this time.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And you are still planning on Oct 11th in Columbus Ohio, right Vin?