• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

JD tractor has a little rattle ...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm no mechanic but I think I see why.

Attachments

• RattleSnakeOnJDTractor.jpg
    RattleSnakeOnJDTractor.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 54

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Never found one on the tractor but I’ve baled or plowed several. :bolt:

Bannedjoe

What a bummer it must be to be the most hated creature on the planet.
I'll still shoot one in a heartbeat.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm no mechanic but I think I see why.

Had one between my legs a few days ago while pulling weeds and didn't see it until it moved and went under a bush, it was nowhere near that size but got my attention.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Had one between my legs a few days ago while pulling weeds and didn't see it until it moved and went under a bush, it was nowhere near that size but got my attention.

Odd you didn't hear the rattle. Being that close to it would have have put it in the defense mode.
Mike

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Odd you didn't hear the rattle. Being that close to it would have have put it in the defense mode.
Mike

when I first moved here I was working on the tractor for an hour or so. My daughter came over and was talking to me, then asked is that a snake, I looked down and there was one curled up right where I was standing. It never moved or made a noise until I chopped it up with a shovel. Was a 3 rattler. Another one same year got in the shop, that one got agitated and became very aggressive, he also met a shovel. I had not seen one after that until a few days ago except run over on the road. I have been here for 13 years now.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc look you have Hillary sun tanning on the bumper of your tractor. glad there are no snakes or parasites to worry about in AK other than maybe than more than our fair share of liberals.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I read somewhere that professionals and plumbers etc. use wasp spray will immediately drive them away. I keep some at the cabin for that reason when I am in the crawl space.

Many years ago I used wasp spray on a rattler because it was the only thing that I could grab. That snake struck at the stream of wasp spray half a dozen times before I got a good shot right down it's throat. Then and only then did it turn and run. Will it work? Yes it will. Would it be my first choice? Definitely not.

Bannedjoe

A .22 six shooter with bird shot is always close at hand.

When we first moved to the desert, we killed every rattler we saw.
Shortly thereafter, we realized they have a job to do, as we soon had a rodent problem.

I figured there must be a delicate balance in the system, so I quit killing all but the ones that were around the house.
If I was able to, I'd snare them and walk them away and release them.

It made me feel a little bit better about the whole thing, but it didn't help much.

But then when I learned that a helicopter ride and the associated hospital bill could reach into the hundreds of thousands, I decided to go back to whacking rattlers.

The bull snakes out here look an awful lot like rattlers, and will even imitate the shaking of their tails.
I pay close attention to make sure that I'm not killing the bull snakes.
Not only do they eat rodents, but supposedly they take rattlers out too.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm usually a live and let live kind of guy but ANY snake around the house or in the yard gets whacked.

We haven't had a snake close to the house in quite a while. The best thing we ever did was get an outside cat. It takes care of the rodents and there is no reason for snakes to come close unless they get lost. We also have a roadrunner that takes care of the little ones and the lizards and it's fast enough to outrun and outfly the cat … so far. That little ginger cat is a freekin' killer.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm usually a live and let live kind of guy but ANY snake around the house or in the yard gets whacked.

We haven't had a snake close to the house in quite a while. The best thing we ever did was get an outside cat. It takes care of the rodents and there is no reason for snakes to come close unless they get lost. We also have a roadrunner that takes care of the little ones and the lizards and it's fast enough to outrun and outfly the cat … so far. That little ginger cat is a freekin' killer.

Maybe thats why I haven't seen any for years until now. I have 3 cats but recently the wife has been keeping them in a lot during the rain.

jwstewar

I have a friend that does trouble shooting for John Deere. He told me a story from a few years ago. He was working on a tractor down in Florida. He kept hearing a hissing sound like air was leaking from somewhere but he couldn't find it. Kept walking around and listening. Finally the farmer walked up and told him what the sound was. There was an alligator under the tractor just a few feet from him ready to pounce - lucky for him it didn't.