• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to Forum, JW-67 track question

Argofixer

Hello,
I have an old JW-67 Bombardier I bought and am restoring. I am replacing the tracks next and wonder if anyone knows the orignal Cross Link hole spacing for these. I will make a template to do it but rather than use the original ones that are in poor shape to make the template I thought I may just throw the question out in here.

Thanks and have a good day,
Randy

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum !

How wide is the machine ? Is it an SW48 which has 14+" tracks or a J5 which has 16" tracks.

Why do you not want to use the tracks you have for a pattern ? What are you going to make the new cleats from ?

Argofixer

Thanks for the reply! It is 48" wide so I guess an old rounded style SW48 with the aprox 14" wide tracks. I have had lots of projects over the years but this is the first tracked one. the old tracks are pretty ratty and have seen lots of abuse. I can use them for a template but after buying new Belting I didnt want to take a chance of punching holes in the incorrect location and finding the Drive Sprocket was a bit out of time. These are pretty rare out in Saskatchewan so parts are hard to come by. I will buy some new cleats if I can find a half dozen. If not, I will repair the old damaged cleats (2.5" angle currently on them) and for the missing guides I will likely just Machine a jig for the press and make a bunch of new ones. I will post a machine picture when I get a chance to figure out how.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Contact Minnesota Outdoors http://mn-outdoors.com/parts.html
for the cleats and he will know the correct starting spacing.

Is the rest of the machine in good shape ? What are you going to do with it ?

We'll be looking forward to your pictures :flowers: and good luck with the project.

Argofixer

Thanks for the direction to start. The rest of the machine is good mechanically. It steers well and stops easy. The engine runs good, I found a new carb for it and stuck that on, pulled cab and body covers off, down to chasis now. Cut off the lower V-plow mounts and made a new set of mounts and a strait Hyd blade on front. Added a Reciever mount for front winch. V plow available Free if someone wants it, tossing in scap pile. Lots of work to go but should be a fun learning project. As for use, Moose Hunting and pulling my Ice Shack. Thanks again for the help.

Argofixer

Sure to have a few questions for all you knowledgeable guys as I go along with this build. Here are the few pics I have on my phone from when I first got it and Start of tear down. Also included a pic of reason I bought it ..... Ice shack my sled cant pull across the lake:smile:.

Attachments

• IMG_5050.jpg
    IMG_5050.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_5051.jpg
    IMG_5051.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_5052.jpg
    IMG_5052.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_5054.jpg
    IMG_5054.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_5048.jpg
    IMG_5048.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_5049.jpg
    IMG_5049.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 675

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to buy a Thiokol 2700 because I ran in to an ice shack I almost couldn't pull with the snow trac. these shacks are being used to dredge for gold from on the bering sea see the last episode of bering sea gold under the ice I expect it will be on as they filmed the snot out of it

Argofixer

There are so many interesting looking tracked machines on this site ..... I can see a problem about to develop and my wife isn't going to like this new interest. :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
mine let me have another my next one needs to be a nodwell with a drill rig on it a great summer leasing opportunity.

Argofixer

Always easy to justify Toys.... I am looking at a second this week as well already. Haha, I just wont overpay so much like I did for the last one!:doh:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a big fan of the jw's, sw's, or bombies just not enough track on the ground which makes for a rough ride off road. the snow track runs about what I would deem the shortest reasonable track, But again I live in different snow conditions up here in the arctic. those smaller riggs have their place if it works for you than it is what you need the sw type machine with a heavy foot print may be just what you need out on the ice for towing and they are easy to tow.

Argofixer

I originally planned to leave it out at the Cabin once it is done and have lots of trailers so towing is not an issue. I have NO experince with these things at all. I tried to tow the new ice shack out on the lake when I was done welding it up and got stuck in the truck (lots of snow last year). I only weighs 900# as is all Aluminum/Cedar/spray foam so weight was not bad, Bought a new Tundra LT Sled thinking that should do the job.... not enough traction there. Found the JW and bought it. Now I am thinking the JW may be a bit too heavy on the ice and just keep it for Moose Camp? There is a Bombi coming up for auction this week (41 hrs and a 1979) that I would look at to pull the shack out or ATV tracks for my 700 Grizzly? Thoughts / opinions?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
where is your location talking about ice fishing and moose hunting i'm guessing in Minnesota or Canada. I think you will find the weight will be to your advantage pulling on the ice.I was having a hard time trying to tow my snow trac back on hard packed snow last winter. the bombi had the power just not enough traction to make turns and such I tow on ice a lot here and I have found that before moving weight is I will go pack a trail the day before than let it set up overnight the next morning it's as hard as a rock.

Argofixer

I am in Saskatchewan, Canada. I am nervous driving on the ice a bit with the cleats, is 12" ice (clear solid ice) enough for driving my machine you think? I am sure it will pull easy, problem last year was drifts getting onto the Lake where our Cabin is later in the year. I was thinking a light Bombi might be safer? I have taken equip out of the ice (Diving) several times that has fallen thru, some times the guys never made it out. Seeing that side I am more catious than some may be I guess. After a few trips I am sure I will be fine. As I said,the old JW will be fun for Moose though! Cant find much for tracked oddball stuff around our place.

Argofixer

Had a reply to my Question on spacing and thought I would post so someone else would have access to it. The space is as follows:

- Hole diameter is 3/8" or 1/2" (likely 3/8" as is older he stated)
- Correct Pitch between Cleats is 3 3/4"
- Distance side/side is 3 1/4"

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I will caution you that this is not gospel, but I have fallen through the ice in the past with my 76 3/4 ton gmc 4.5 inches supported the truck at 4 inches it fell through it was equipped with 35 x 12.50 tires if you do the math it should support your sw machine just fine . I would how ever run with a door open so you can make a fast exit. the other thing I noticed with the truck is it didn't fall in all at once first the front end that the rear I think the sw are heavy in the rear It may fall in rear first

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't normally venture out on the sea ice till I have several feet, not because it won't support the rig, but because sea ice is alive and always moving. by the time it hits 3 feet it is set in and not moving in and out

Argofixer

'ya, Ice is never good to take a chance on. I will wait until I have a good base later in the season for the JW. I will find a lighter rig for the earlier season. Thanks for the input.

Short bus

your old tracks have stretched a little so it would be best to make a jig based on the spacing for new belts. Just a thought.

Argofixer

your old tracks have stretched a little so it would be best to make a jig based on the spacing for new belts. Just a thought.

I appreciate the advice from all, I suspected this may have been the case but have no exprience with that aspect in this application so threw it out there before I started to punch the holes. I will make a jig and have a hydraulic metal punch so I will test a piece to see if that will punch holes for me, if not, I will use a hollow punch.

IMP

Site Supporter
I have the J5 factory track pattern that looks the same as what you have. If you want it send me your email. It's PDF and can't seem to post it here

Argofixer

For any others interested, Factory Track Hole Spacing PDF attached. Thanks to "IMP" for the information.

Attachments

• J5 Factory Pattern.pdf
    725.8 KB · Views: 103

brianf

that bombi would probally work out well for you, would be a lot less work for you and half the wieght. if it goes cheap would be worth buying. and parts are cheap and easier to get

Attachments

• bombi auction.jpg
    bombi auction.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,023

Argofixer

Your good! Haha, that's the one I was looking at. Guess will go see how price is.
Needs a bit of work but would be good I think .... For right price.
I went and looked at it last week. I know of one a few years newer and looks like new, wants $14,000 though. Time will tell I guess. Thx for passing this one on to me :)

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have had experience with those bombi tracks on ice should you purchase it look to add ice studs or you will have fun steering it. it's a nice looking unit I like the rack in the rear.

brianf

will not post site as no one needs more bidders to run up price, I would probally question 41 hours, looks like more use than that, but I have bought some with very low hours, 14000 is too high for bombi, one member had one with alum tracks for 7500, so good price would be around 2000 to 4000, that is hinging on what it will need to make it reliable

Argofixer

Yup, I cringed when you put the photo up as well, haha. The photo's look better than in person though, I guess we will see what it goes for. I wont over pay as I have the other one. I dont NEED 2 of them but have it in my head I should start looking for a second, that generally means one will end up in the yard soon. I like the rear extenntion but would cut if off and start again as I am handy with an Aluminum Welder. Thanks for the info on them.