• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

the light foot lives again

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as I posted earlier I found a rare light foot snow cat out at a mine here in western ak. I put together a deal to get it and the story of getting it home was a true adventure. the thing was at a mine 6 miles off the road through some real nasty conditions I went out to work on a Volvo excavator I had no quad that ran at the time so the owner was giving me a ride in. the marooka blew a hydraulic drive hose that morning they met me at the road that morning in a Polaris 6x6 side by side. the side by side got stuck on the way in and broke the winch cable trying to free it. this meant a 3 mile walk. with tools and equipment I worked on the excavator and pulled the marooka hose so I could get another one built. when I asked about getting out they said I would have to hoof it out. stop here I may have been a soldier but I worked n the motor pool we ride every place.i asked about the snow cat he said it ran when parked but it would throw tracks, so I put my MacGyver hat on through a battery in it 5 gallons of gas and filed the points and set them by eyeball. it started and ran pretty well I had to put it in gear and start it because the clutch wouldn't release I drove it around the laydown area and felt pretty good it would stay in the tracks so off we went to rescue the side by side I drove out over some pretty nasty disadvantaged minority heads and through a boulder field and it stayed in the tracks about 500 yards from the stuck Polaris I had a nasty deep mud hole to cross this is when it wanted to get out of the right track while I was driving straight. the owner said some bad words to the machine, than told me that he owed me some money and I could have the POS. so it sat in the mud for another month while I got my bigboss 6x6 running. I went out got it started and out of the mud up on another disadvantaged minority head high and dry. I looked at the front wheel and could see the axle was bent I came out with a porta power and straightened it out. than on another nice day and now it was getting cold we went out with 3 of us to re assemble the track and drive it out. because I traveled out of town during the covid - 19 panic I got my self quarantined from work for 2 weeks tat meant I had time to pull the 3 speed and replace it with a c-4 I scored. with a little jerry rigging at the end I got it in and built up a driveline so I could move it and made up a shifter, it rolled out into the sun this afternoon and I drove it back to work.in review its real quiet, steers nice, the tracks are squirly on the ice especially with the rear end in high, but the ride quality is excellent and its a pretty nice rig worthy of paint and a track rebuild. the pics are coming my boy is going out with me tonight to shoot video with me.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
pics are coming with this covid 19 crap and every body at home I have to get up at 4 in the morning to get any thing to up load or down load im going to be up at 4 tomorrow working on a forklift I plan to do the downloads than. sorry guys.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Jim I sent you some of my smaller files the larg uou tube up loads will have to wait until I plan to get up in the morning.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
20190915_141938.jpg

20190918_191121_1.jpg

don's helper, I said hard right!!
20190918_191229.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks Jim did you get the video to or did my crap provider drop it. seems the only thing that works reliable about our provider up here, is the billing department

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks Jim did you get the video to or did my crap provider drop it. seems the only thing that works reliable about our provider up here, is the billing department

Don, I think thats normal just about everywhere :(

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I took a second ride last night with my granddaughter to the top of one of the hills behind Nome last night she had a blast I seem to have a trans leak under high line pressure like when climbing hills I will have to crawl under it and look to see where the leak is. I suspect a cooler line other wise things were quite successful. I would love to have about another 50 hp for pulling hills.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I found the transmission leak its the tail shaft seal I ordered a new one also the muffler fell apart so I ordered another one before it gets noisy.

Snowy Rivers

Glad you had a great time.

Also good that the oil leak was not serious.

We are having 70 F weather today...sorry about the winter weather warning...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The end of the season came for us this weekend I had one last trip out to play with my oldest grand daughter. than on sunday I moved the light foot and snow track on top of a pile of snow to sit until the ground drys out a bit. I sent pics to Jim again to post because out internet is as slow as grandma, she has an excuse she is old.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
believe it or not this crap service costs $300.00 a month. I just got the data overage notice last night, they will get it back up their a$$ as the data has been so unusable that there is no way I could have used up my band width yet

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
no he was texting a friend because of all the stupid bandwidth overages we no longer have a hard line internet at the house. he has been complaining about how come I wont get internet at the house like his buddies have I cant explain to him the dollar only stretch so far before the checks start to bounce.