• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Nellie ''Bell''

olympicorange

…….. scrutinizing the O.E.M. truck trans. mount for this application,.... cool set-up with the isolators, … unfortunately it would be too high for floorboard , foot space for gov. pedal, etc... but the lower section will come in handy,... salvaged the exhaust elbow from the ''junk'' turbo,...

Attachments

• 0102201103_Film2.jpg
    0102201103_Film2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 0102201112a_Film2.jpg
    0102201112a_Film2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 520
  • 0102201112b_Film2.jpg
    0102201112b_Film2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 536
  • 0102201132_Film2.jpg
    0102201132_Film2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 510
  • 0102201132a_Film2.jpg
    0102201132a_Film2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 0102201133_Film2.jpg
    0102201133_Film2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 513
  • 0102201134_Film2.jpg
    0102201134_Film2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 504
  • 0102201143_Film2.jpg
    0102201143_Film2.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 501
  • 0102201146_Film2.jpg
    0102201146_Film2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 525
  • 0102201151_Film2.jpg
    0102201151_Film2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 502

olympicorange

….. talked with driveshaft shop today, parts on the way...also the Isuzu dealer for exhaust manifold hardware & gaskets....

Attachments

• 0103201530a_Film2.jpg
    0103201530a_Film2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 498

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
what the plan on the automatic transmission and the TCM that it uses? I'm not at that stage yet myself, waiting for the drivelive to be reflanged to fit the NPR's transmission.

Seems like you are working with different space overall for fitment vs my setup on the 1544. Thanks for posting!

olympicorange

what the plan on the automatic transmission and the TCM that it uses? I'm not at that stage yet myself, waiting for the drivelive to be reflanged to fit the NPR's transmission.

Seems like you are working with different space overall for fitment vs my setup on the 1544. Thanks for posting!

……… we went with a 1990 unit ,... mechanical on both the engine /tranny... cables , etc. yes this auto is about 6 '' longer than the AT545,... waiting on the completion of the ''intermediate'' shaft assy., to finalize the spacing /alignments, etc. what year is your 1544 ? have you posted it before ...thx ''N''....

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
……… we went with a 1990 unit ,... mechanical on both the engine /tranny... cables , etc. yes this auto is about 6 '' longer than the AT545,... waiting on the completion of the ''intermediate'' shaft assy., to finalize the spacing /alignments, etc. what year is your 1544 ? have you posted it before ...thx ''N''....

I've not had much time to post or do much "blogging" about it, as its just an engine swap on my end. I do record it (photo/video) and will have info eventually once its all done so others can reference as usual.

Mine is 1980 1544, and donor vehicle was 1989 Isuzu NPR truck. In my case, there is TCM (transmission control module), has bunch of wires going to it from the plugs on the tranny., thus my questioning.

Transmission does have a manual cable, but does have TCM on it. Is there a chance I can just not use TCM than?

olympicorange

……. hey Nikson , don't scrap the driveshaft that mated up to the rear of your tranny. I just got a call from my driveshaft shop today, they aren't having any luck matching up pieces to adapt . so I had to disassemble the drive shaft assy., and run over to the D/S shop.....man was I outta breathe ..lol

Attachments

• 0106201015_Film2.jpg
    0106201015_Film2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 435

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My local shop called and they said they found a flange that’s will bolt right up to the original shorty driveline that I got when it was setup in original configuration, so my NPR driveline won’t be used in any way at all... at least that’s the last info I got from them

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
……. hey Nikson , don't scrap the driveshaft that mated up to the rear of your tranny. I just got a call from my driveshaft shop today, they aren't having any luck matching up pieces to adapt . so I had to disassemble the drive shaft assy., and run over to the D/S shop.....man was I outta breathe ..lol

gezzzzz, take a car next time, and save your breath and back:eatdrink::eatdrink::eatdrink:

olympicorange

……… started on carpet removal in cab, wiring, misc., side panels to access trans. ( for mounts /fab) ,....

Attachments

• 0115201224_Film2.jpg
    0115201224_Film2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 0115201300_Film2.jpg
    0115201300_Film2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 0115201409b_Film2.jpg
    0115201409b_Film2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 323

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
hey OO, you are much too, kind, and yes I have the perfect vehicle for your NOS license plate, my 1928 Ford Model AA Roadster express truck, again, much too kind.

the tucker mafia was happy to help you out with your great build...

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

olympicorange

…………...Awesome...…. :thumbup:,..... I was in hopes you would have a candidate.... least I could do for your generosity & help... love to see a pic in place.... :thumbup::thumbup:

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe mine has the MT654 in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olympicorange

……. retrieved the ''intermediate '' shaft from machine shop,... alignment time,.....

Attachments

• 0128201624_Film2.jpg
    0128201624_Film2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 173

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you'll be able to bring your motor even closer to the firewall than I did... :)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Im currently battling the wiring on my end.
Confusing a bit, but being my first ever, I think I'll get better on the next one... LOL

olympicorange

…… hey N,... i'm pretty sure ive got the engine and tranny as far back as possible, just by a quick measurement. will know for sure , soon as I get the ujoint, and am able to set in place . in the process as we speak. this trans. is about 6 inches longer than the Allison's I use. I noticed that you had a lot more ''truck'' stuff and wiring to peel off yours, than I had on this one . seems odd only being a year apart. i'm guessing your primarily talking about the trans. harness …. the engine gov. control should only be a ''one wire'' set-up,.... i'm looking for a truck schematic,... will let you know...

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
…… hey N,... i'm pretty sure ive got the engine and tranny as far back as possible, just by a quick measurement. will k..................d a lot more ''truck'' stuff and wiring to peel off yours, than I had on this one . seems odd only being a year apart. i'm guessing your primarily talking about the trans. harness …. the engine gov. control should only be a ''one wire'' set-up,.... i'm looking for a truck schematic,... will let you know...

I've ran through all the spaghetti issue, now coming up on wiring up gauges/ignition and trying to figure out where to put my batteries as a best location. I think I might just keep them in the back under the rear seat since I've not found a likeable location anywhere up front.
I think the rear could use the extra weight as well to offset the heavy front.

as far as for wiring, I've got the tranny hooked up to the TCU and all other necessities, its just trying to get the glow plug/starter relays correctly, than see if I can get the on-board sensors to talk with my current "tucker" gauges.

Overall, I dont think it will be problematic as all used to work previously prior to me pulling it out from the truck.

I was able to use Isuzu's original radiator as well, all fits back in under the hood without any issues.

olympicorange

….. roger that,... I will look and see what I have for the glow plug relay wiring... when using the original gauges (tucker) , did you swap over the corresponding sending units off the old engine, that usually helps keep the accuracy ''back to original'',... or what it was before... also ; what was the distance from the front of the crank pulley/dampner...to the front frame crossmember ( just in front of the rad.),.. I would like to compare . [ looking at S/D 's … his engine was a lot farther back , towards the firewall. i'm guessing it had to do with the type of tranny he used, but I don't know what model he ended up using , wish I did :thumbup:] ….

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
….. roger that,... I will look and see what I have .................. . [ looking at S/D 's … his engine was a lot farther back , towards the firewall. i'm guessing it had to do with the type of tranny he used, but I don't know what model he ended up using , wish I did :thumbup:] ….

I'll report once I get to write up in my thread, unless you need the info soon.

I'm snapping pictures as I go along

olympicorange

…. no rush my man,.. i'm not anywhere near that stage yet . ive got to start the fab. work for the mounts . but I will definitely like to compare the differences between the two,.. seems to be plenty for the year difference. can you shoot me the measurements up front... I think i'll have some time 2mrw to compare and start..thx :thumbup:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
…. no rush my man,.. i'm not anywhere near that stage yet . ive got to start the fab. work for the mounts . but I will definitely like to compare the differences between the two,.. seems to be plenty for the year difference. can you shoot me the measurements up front... I think i'll have some time 2mrw to compare and start..thx :thumbup:

Missed out on getting the measurements, but will do that Monday hopefully, as I'm waiting for some parts to finish up all the plumbing/electrical stuff.

Seems like I'm gonna have to go another route on the gauges, as mine I'm not sure if they'll wire up to the motor's current sensors.

Any chance you had to figure out what alternator you gonna use yet?

I'm looking into different replacements, ordered few from Amazon to see what fits best. Original one still works, but since it has a vacuum pump on the back (which I removed as I dont need it, plus lines are sorta in the way of the Hydro Pump) - I figure I'm gonna get a fresh one on there, as I like to be sure my stuff will work when I'm out in the boonies.

Once the vacuum pump is removed, the outer bearing is exposed, and is due to crash at one point as a local alternator rebuild shop told me, thus either replace that bearing or get a different alternator.

Alternators are J180 case (Hitachi's IRIF mount I think is the name)
I'm guessing I'll stumble upon an exact match :)

My hopes to have mine running at the end of this month for a test run.
(fingers crossed)

olympicorange

..... Roger that. I had the original alt. Checked out & tested. It was n/g, and could only go up to 74 amps. No way to increase the amperage. I asked them about removing the vacuum pump also. They said the alt.could operate without the pump mounted on the rear. Could install a dust cover over driveshaft, but not necessary. Had the original one checked out. Mopar style. Came off an ambulance. Puts out 120 amps. So will run everything fine. Remember to plug the old oil line ports for the vacuum pump. Haven't got to sending units yet....thx N....

olympicorange

....... Welded up the " intermediate" shaft ....and installed the new u- joints....next is to install ...:thumbup:

Attachments

• 0201201208_Film2.jpg
    0201201208_Film2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 0201201208a_Film2.jpg
    0201201208a_Film2.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 0201201215_Film2.jpg
    0201201215_Film2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 0201201215a_Film2.jpg
    0201201215a_Film2.jpg