• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

HUMMER coming back as an Electric truck to compete with Tesla

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GM is going to revive HUMMER.

We won't see the brand return with dedicated dealerships but rather it will return as an extension of the GMC truck line up. The first HUMMER vehicle will reportedly be an ELECTRIC truck.

LINK => https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/new-electric-hummer-makes-teslas-cybertruck-look-kids-tonka-toy

The New Electric Hummer Makes Tesla's Cybertruck Look Like A Kid's Tonka Toy
by Tyler Durden
Sun, 01/12/2020 - 09:55

General Motors has finally decided to bring back the Hummer: millennial style.

The Detroit automaker is going to be buying Super Bowl airtime to debut the Hummer as an all-electric pickup, carrying on the model's lineage that was discontinued about a decade ago. GM has even signed LeBron James to appear in the commercial, which will air on February 2, according to CNBC.

The vehicle is going to be sold under the GMC brand, instead of its own standalone brand. It is expected to go on sale by late 2021 or early 2022 and will likely be a direct competitor to Tesla's Cybertruck, should the Cybertruck actually wind up being manufactured at some point.

And the Hummer looks badass.

Making the Hummer name - which used to be synonymous with gas guzzling - an EV was a big step. Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Cox Automotive called it a "perfect marriage".

The move comes at a time when pickups and SUVs continue to dominate in popularity with American auto buyers, despite the overall industry recession.

Brauer continued: “What automaker on the planet wouldn’t love to have the Hummer brand in its portfolio right now. There’s no indication they shouldn’t do this and every indication they should.”

We're guessing the Hummer will resonate with a demographic that Tesla's Cybertruck fails to. As one social media post points out:

Cybertruck:
• nerdy
• probably plays D&D
• got beat up for lunch money in middle school

Electric Hummer:
• powerful
• beloved by The Terminator
• beats up other countries for oil https://t.co/dFAzk3tIST

— Zak Kukoff (@zck) January 10, 2020

The previous Hummer design from a decade ago included a short-lived pickup design, but the brand drew criticism and was ultimately discontinued as a part of GM's bankruptcy in 2009 as gas prices surged and the model's design developed a bad reputation as polluting the planet.

The Hummer is expected to lead the way in a surge of new electric pickups to hit the market in coming years from companies like Ford and Rivian.

Attachments

• hum1.jpeg
    hum1.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 121

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
GM is going to revive HUMMER.

We won't see the brand return with dedicated dealerships but rather it will return as an extension of the GMC truck line up. The first HUMMER vehicle will reportedly be an ELECTRIC truck.

LINK => https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/new-electric-hummer-makes-teslas-cybertruck-look-kids-tonka-toy

The Hummer was nothing more than a Hummer lookalike based of the Tahoe platform. Uneducated idiots gave it a bad rap, but neglected the Tahoe which was basically the same vehicle with a different body, same underpinnings. Personally I always liked the Hummer, even if it was a GM product.

I have to say that new Hummer looks interesting but will NEVER unseat much less put a dent in the Jeep Wrangler which has an iron grip in the market that Hummer looks to be competing in. The Wrangler is super capable off road, very refined if you want it that way and incredible re sale value. I see no GM ever with respectable re sale.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... but will NEVER unseat much less put a dent in the Jeep Wrangler which has an iron grip in the market that Hummer looks to be competing in...

I'm curious if they are actually trying to reinvent the Wrangler? It looks bigger. Is this a super sized 2 door? Perhaps more capacity for cargo? Aiming more at more hauling utility? Maybe its just a looks thing and actually is just a Wrangler ... if so it will have to be a lot better to make a dent in marketshare.

I also wondering, giving its an electric, if they are going upscale and aiming at the urban lumberjacks who wear flannel as a fashion statement?

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm curious if they are actually trying to reinvent the Wrangler? It looks bigger. Is this a super sized 2 door? Perhaps more capacity for cargo? Aiming more at more hauling utility? Maybe its just a looks thing and actually is just a Wrangler ... if so it will have to be a lot better to make a dent in marketshare.

I also wondering, giving its an electric, if they are going upscale and aiming at the urban lumberjacks who wear flannel as a fashion statement?

Good point. I suspect at some point FCA will be forced to come out with some sort of electric Wrangler to satisfy those urban lumberjacks, but I do not see the die hard off roaders embracing it at least in my life time. They tend to be a pretty finicky lot. Just look at how they almost totally rejected that so called mild hybrid in the 2.0T. It used a belt drive motor generator with a 10KW 48V battery mounted underside of the Jeep. I made sure our new Jeep did not have that on the Cherokee 2.0T or it would have been a deal breaker for us. Totally not needed or wanted.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it sounds like they are not going after the Jeep wrangler and they are not looking for the urban flannel wearing crowd either.

See the full article at the link:
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/30...KXhRC8ATTTZi7_EGHudcjLN2W5j78zc4m1_SYaqickX2w

Hummer officially returns as an EV with 1,000 hp in Super Bowl ad

Reborn truck will hit 60 in 3 seconds

GREG MIGLIORE
Jan 30th 2020 at 10:04AM

Hummer, the iconic, controversial and long-dead truck and SUV brand, returns this Sunday in a Super Bowl ad that previews its comeback under the GMC brand. General Motors announced the move and previewed the vehicle with a series of clips Thursday morning, confirming reports of Hummer's resurrection that have simmered for months.

The bane of environmentalists in the early 2000s, Hummer is recast as an electric-only truck capable of a jaw-dropping 1,000 horsepower, 11,500 lb-ft of (wheel) torque and a sprint to 60 mph in 3 seconds. “We came to play ball,” a spokesman deadpanned in an interview with Autoblog. Electric range was not revealed.

GM will build the reborn Hummer at the Detroit-Hamtramck factory in Michigan that was once thought to be set to close. It will be revealed May 20 at an event, possibly in Las Vegas.

“GMC builds premium and capable trucks and SUVs and the GMC HUMMER EV takes this to new heights,” Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC, said in a statement. “We are excited to debut our revolutionary zero-emissions truck during the biggest night in TV advertising.”

The Super Bowl ad will reportedly feature Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This is an attempt to look as though GM is going green. Actually it appears to me to be the very definition of putting lipstick on a pig.

That said, there is a lot of reasoning behind putting four wheels with each powered independently by it's own torque sensing motor. And a removable battery designed low into the frame. Is that what they did here?

This is supposedly an off road vehicle. :th_lmao:

A hundred miles from nowhere, how do you recharge this thingy???? Uh huh; with a towed behind 5 KW gen set. Running on fossil fuels.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
GM vehicles give me a case of the DILLIGAF's. I would never buy one, ever, especially some electric rig.