• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I thought I had seen every thing stuffed with an LS...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just came across this... several more parts of the LS conversion...

These guys, I would never have work on anything I own..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3WB6bc0rrI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LazW5UW1Af8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usLjCPJZqcM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp25lICyA2I[/ame]

Not sure if they are sure they are done with it, but it looks to me like there is still much to do..

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My prediction is the next best engine in anything that is hot rodded may well not be an engine at all.
DC electric motors and battery packs. Silent running, 100% rated torque fropm 0 rpm's..
Some one needs to put a Tesla motor in a snow cat. No transmission is even required. Get ahead of the curve as they say! :thumbup:

Regards, Kirk

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My prediction is the next best engine in anything that is hot rodded may well not be an engine at all.
DC electric motors and battery packs. Silent running, 100% rated torque fropm 0 rpm's..
Some one needs to put a Tesla motor in a snow cat. No transmission is even required. Get ahead of the curve as they say! :thumbup:

Regards, Kirk

Have been monitoring the sales on salvage auctions on them Teslas, thought has REALLY settled in - yet prices just dont put it into perspective.

I would imagine it being not a bad deal/concept tho, nothing wrong with carrying around a generator on a trailer :)

olympicorange

…….. yeah, kind of kills the ''green effect'', carrying a generator around. i'm wondering where you would mount the 1000 LB. lithium battery ...yikes. with all the components , wiring, cables, etc.,.... theres no weight savings,....and cold weather ?? I get a chuckle out of most of the ''green'' people on electricity,... still a large portion produced by coal...………...

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
If it could have been done R.G. Letourneau whould have done it years ago. Ol RG liked tires more then tracks tho. Electric everything ,and more Horsepower!!:thumbup:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
If it could have been done R.G. Letourneau whould have done it years ago. Ol RG liked tires more then tracks tho. Electric everything ,and more Horsepower!!:thumbup:

He was an amazing guy, and the machines he created are incredible. He also started a University, that I understand is very well regarded. If you have some spare time, it's worth Googling him and reading about the man, his life story, and the equipment he designed and built. Very, Very Cool!!!!!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
These guys, I would never have work on anything I own..

"That said, I am not optimistic about the results of the LS swap featured in the YouTube videos… (I’ll leave it at that.)” That’s what I said in post 11 of this thread.

Nothing I’ve seen since has changed my opinion. While I’m a big fan of the LS engine in a Tucker, I think there are a lot better choices available than the 5.3. I think swapping from an Allison AT545 to a 4L60 is a big mistake. The stated reason for the 5.3 selection was because they had it on hand, and saved money. Okay, well they had an AT545 on hand, and rather than spend thousands rebuilding the 4L60, they could have kept the AT545 and put the money into a better engine choice. They had a perfectly good Vickers V20P hydraulic pump but rather than make some simple modifications to that, they wasted hundreds of dollars on a completely different pump. John Wayne once said something like “ Life's hard. It’s harder if you’re stupid”. An LS swap is a time consuming and expensive proposition, but it’s even more so when morons do the job.

What I didn’t mention in post 11, was I previously had a business transaction with the waterjet part of their business to cut a Tucker instrument panel for me (Interwest Manufacturing and Waterjet Cutting). It did not go well. I sent them the CAD file Scott and I had made and specified I wanted the panel cut from 1/8” aluminum plate. They quoted a price and a time to do the job. Okay. They were several days late getting it done, but sometimes that happens. We had previously had an instrument panel cut by another waterjet shop and it was virtually perfect. The panel Interwest made was altogether different. The square holes for the rocker switches were not perfectly square and even the round holes had some minor issues. But we thought the gauge bezels and rocker switch holders would hide their poor quality workmanship. About the time we were almost done installing it I noticed it looked a little thin. Sure enough they had cut it from the wrong material. I called Interwest and explained what I had specified and what they produced were not the same. I thought they would apologize and without question cut a new one right away, but no. They thought I should be perfectly happy with what they had made. They offered to refund me the difference in the material cost (about $5.00). I said no, how about you make what was specified and what you quoted. Eventually they did that, but it took about two more weeks. Needless to say I will never do business with them again. And based on both their lack of quality control and lousy customer service, I was not optimistic about their attempt at an LS swap. They haven't disappointed….

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I been in a few of R.G.s rigs one that was in a scrapyard in Fairbanks Ak. and the other in Fox Ak. The landtrain and snowtrain ,incredible machines.