• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The "Cathouse"

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
KickerM,

Went back and forth with the windows between lexan/plexi and regular glass. And when I say went back and forth we had the plexi panels made up and decided at time of install to go the other way. SO... if anybody has a need for and the ability to cut and trim this material I have 10 panels with the bend in them for sale at deep discount. I am hoping this will be our sole setback with this project.

With this said we ended up going regular automotive type smoked glass due to overall durability. Wont scratch as easy (think fogged up windows and hand drawn happy faces), resists the elements better, easier to clean etc.

And believe it or not, CHEAPER! I mistakenly based my decision on cost on an earlier replacement job of one window. BUT I did not consider economy of scale. Labor was a big part of this job, the guys (Don's Mobile Glass - probably the best in the Central Valley of California) are mobile installers, as the name implies. Once they are onsite unit pricing gets cheaper. I ramble, because I am trying to defend my original decision. I might be a tad bit embarrassed... but feel this worthy of sharing so that others don't do the same.

The joint or breakover point at the top is sealed with silicone between the two pieces in each opening very much the same way as in a CAT loader.

The seals are from Trim-Lok (trimlok.com). You can buy direct from them. They have many styles and sizes along with the tools should you need.

Snowy Rivers

No worries.

Change orders are a normal part of things....It is nice if they come before the $$$$ get spent, but that does not always happen in the real world...

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for info! I hear ya...my build has already incurred some change orders, and by the time I pay return shipping and restocking fees the parts I might as well keep it with the rest of my “extras”... I first thought plexi glass but for the same reasons you talked about I’m also thinking glass, I need 15 pieces of glass for my build [emoji33]

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Carpet Complete. A teaser of the wrap... Interior, seating and tunes next week.

Pressure is on... Sun Valley coming up quick...

Attachments

• IMG_4147[1].jpg
    IMG_4147[1].jpg
    98 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_E4149[1].jpg
    IMG_E4149[1].jpg
    82 KB · Views: 201

olympicorange

………… cool ,... lookn good …. how many occupants are you planning to seat up front ,... do you have a website to purchase tickets; ….. :thumbup:

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
………… cool ,... lookn good …. how many occupants are you planning to seat up front ,... do you have a website to purchase tickets; ….. :thumbup:

Apologies if I’m coming across as full of myself. Just got a bit excited about the project. May have drank a bit of my own kool-aid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Are you going to have any heat in the unit? A propane brick heater would probably work.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
The "Cathouse"

Are you using Webastos’ or a copycat? I’m curious if the copies are a good choice as they are 1/4 of the price, and I think a cabin air heater would be awesome for camping in the cat!

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with that type of heater but it makes sense when a truck has lots of diesel. I haven't spent much time around big trucks. (airplane guy). Where is it located in the cathouse? I couldn't see from the pictures where it or the tank would go.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Re: The "Cathouse"

Are you using Webastos’ or a copycat? I’m curious if the copies are a good choice as they are 1/4 of the price, and I think a cabin air heater would be awesome for camping in the cat!

I discovered the copycats after purchase of webasto... I’ve not heard anything good or bad about them.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not familiar with that type of heater but it makes sense when a truck has lots of diesel. I haven't spent much time around big trucks. (airplane guy). Where is it located in the cathouse? I couldn't see from the pictures where it or the tank would go.

f2a069c51d131c5f9a80591f25a13213.jpg

The natural colored one is the diesel tank. Each heater consumes 1 gallon per 22 hours of high output. Tank is five gallons.
c2643676261144f887e22419af2ac57a.jpg

The heaters are mounted on each side as shown then ducted into a channel that blows up onto the windows.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the pictures. That thing is way smaller than I thought it would be. I'm familiar with propane forced air heaters in RVs that are a pretty big box.
How big are the ducts?

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the pictures. That thing is way smaller than I thought it would be. I'm familiar with propane forced air heaters in RVs that are a pretty big box.

How big are the ducts?

Tubing coming off is 2” plumbed into rectangular tubing that is 2” x 6” with slots cut in the top about 3/16” wide which direct air up onto windows. So it acts as a defroster as well.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
those work very good. the one I use needs to be run every year or it gets hard starting and up close it is very hot.if it has low voltage it shuts down so your battery isn't drained. pistenbully has it in as a read passenger cabin heater on my pb.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
43b3c758c346e12a3f03fdbfc8be9f8e.jpg
9f32540c485249a9bcda3d86dd43a3ad.jpg

It’s out in the sun thanks to our crew. The guys went out of their comfort zone to get this project done. Very grateful to them. I think they are as proud of it as I am. Was a true team effort.