• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol spryte Transmission ratios??

AbelLMTV

Has anyone in the snowcat community ever made a chart or found the specs to the ford 3 speeds used in the thiokols behind the inline 6 (ford 300)?

I am doing a comparison to allison transmissions right now and the ratios would be helpful.

Thank.

PJL

C6 Gear Ratios
First 2.46:1
Second 1.46:1
Third 1.00:1
Reverse 2.00:1

I have a manual at work I can double check for you.

AbelLMTV

Check out this allison mt 643 ratio... Talk about torque in reverse LOL

First...................................3.58:1
Second..................................2.09:1
Third...................................1.39:1
Fourth..................................1.00:1
Reverse.................................5.67:1
* Gear ratio does not include torque converter ratio.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have used a fair number of Allison AT545 in conversions and have been real happy with the results

About 3inches shorter and half the weight of the MT643
AT545 is SAE 3 and MT643 is SAE 2 That is a big transmission IMO for a snowcat

MECHANICAL RATIOS (RANGE)*
First
3.45:1
Second
2.25:1
Third
1.41:1
Fourth
1.00:1
Reverse
-5.03:1

AbelLMTV

I have used a fair number of Allison AT545 in conversions and have been real happy with the results

About 3inches shorter and half the weight of the MT643
AT545 is SAE 3 and MT643 is SAE 2 That is a big transmission IMO for a snowcat

MECHANICAL RATIOS (RANGE)*
First
3.45:1
Second
2.25:1
Third
1.41:1
Fourth
1.00:1
Reverse
-5.03:1

I am finding that the 542 and 545s seems to be very common and low mileage as well as cheap. I think that will be my go to for this build. Thanks for chiming in.

Do you prefer the 545 over the 542 because of the extra oil pan depth/capacity?? I also noticed most of them come with the parking brake installed on the output shaft. Much easier than adapting the original disc brake setup to fit on it....