• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NEW Oil Fired Hot Air Furnace Needed?

DAP

Awoke to the lousy sound of chattering teeth. MINE! I burnt 250 gallons of #2 in a paltry 3 weeks. The tank is dry. That sounds abnormally high and I don't have a litmus cause this is our first winter in this house.

The boiler is old, but I can't be sure of how old. It must pass an inspection before a service contract can be bought. The inspection is scheduled for later this morning.

I'm thinking ahead to replacing the boiler. I know as much about these things as Skurka knows about Teewurst and politics. Been doin some readin on temperature return fan sensor settings. Oi-vay.

So ... what's the skinny with oil fired furnaces? What are the brands to have and the brands to avoid? What are the initial unit costs for heating say a 2500 sq. foot house?

I still have 2-3 cords of split red oak in the garage and 2 wood stoves and 4 fireplaces to burn it all so I'm not panicking yet.

(&^((#&$#(*& HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!
:flame2:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
DAP said:
Awoke to the lousy sound of chattering teeth. MINE! I burnt 250 gallons of #2 in a paltry 3 weeks. The tank is dry. That sounds abnormally high and I don't have a litmus cause this is our first winter in this house.

The boiler is old, but I can't be sure of how old. It must pass an inspection before a service contract can be bought. The inspection is scheduled for later this morning.

I'm thinking ahead to replacing the boiler. I know as much about these things as Skurka knows about Teewurst and politics. Been doin some readin on temperature return fan sensor settings. Oi-vay.

So ... what's the skinny with oil fired furnaces? What are the brands to have and the brands to avoid? What are the initial unit costs for heating say a 2500 sq. foot house?

I hate to break it to you, but if your house is similar to ours, then that rate of fuel use only sounds a little higher than ours. We have a 2500 sq ft 100+ y.o. farm house, with no wall insulation, minimal attic insulation and single pane windows. We get our oil tank filled about every 5 weeks in the winter, about 350-400 gallons each fill-up.

DAP

Acutally, I've worked it out to about 10 gallons per 24 hours. High?

This house is an oldie also (1827) and leaky.

dzalphakilo

Banned
DAP said:
Acutally, I've worked it out to about 10 gallons per 24 hours. High?

This house is an oldie also (1827) and leaky.

That could be a major issue and you could be throwing you money away so to speak.

Anyone who gives you a quote should at least do a heat loss/gain load calculation on your house to determine the "correct" size on the furnace/boiler to be installed.

Why are you replacing your boiler with a furnace? The term "furnace" denotes hot forced air, where the term "boiler" denotes heating through hydronics, AKA hot water. To make it simple, a furnace heats through ductwork and a boiler through pipes that carry the water.

Since I'm not sure if you want a furnace or a boiler, not sure which way to go.

Keep in mind, there are some manufacturers that do make combo wood/oil boilers that you may want to consider as well (of course, more $ up front).

Anyway you you go, the appliance (oil) in question will have a burner, and that burner will probably be either a Beckett, Carlin, Wayne or Reillo.

If you are looking at forced air, there are some 90% plus "new" oil furnaces out there (condensing, PVC vented straight through the sidewall) that may save you some money in the long run, but again, more $ up front for the unit.

Kubota King

DAP -

Not sure were on the caost of NH you are but I am also on the coast of NH. I know a heating man that could give you an incredible deal on a new furnace & installation. Let me know if you want his number.

Kubota King

that would be to far for him to install but he could sell it to you, probably for a fraction of the dealers in your area. He sell's Thermo flow / Williamson. I could deliver it to you myself, I go to Maine every other weekend. $2100.00 will get a brand new furnace to your door step depending on how far north up the coast you live. Let me know. This coming weekend I will be heading to Maine, then after that I will be back up there the 15th.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I would start thinking of tearing into the walls and getting some insulation into them before doing any more oil heat. In the meantime, use the wood and try to get the place tightened up. What you spend on the improvements will be saved on the heating costs. Don't know if you have the patience to live in the mess for a while, but if you were to strip out the entire house of all interior wall boards and then have someone come in and spray the place with the new foam insulation, you will have a very tight house and save the cost over the next few years. I only wish that it was available 20+ years ago when I built our home. With 12" in the attic, 6" in the walls, and 1" insulation board on the entire outside perimeter, we still have some air leaks. Two 28' walls of glass also add to our heating costs, but that it the price you pay when the wife wants a lot of windows.

Kubota King

My house is a 2500 sq ft old farm house built in 1909. It is leaky as it most homes new & old. I have reinsulated most of the rooms at this piont over the years I have been here. I installed a new furnace 2 years ago ( i have propane) & was amazed at how much more effecient the new furnace was compared to the 18 year old one I replaced. The old one still functioned but the furnace distributor was having a rebate deal that I couldnt pass up & I figured I will eventually need a new one anyway, why not now while the price is right.

DAP

Junk ... that's an efficient solution to be sure, but it won't go over too well on this house with plaster walls that are over 175 years old and on the national registry ... there already is blown cellulite in most of the wall spaces - and I have yet to finish restoring the period storm windows ... I'll keep at that

I was told between the missing storms, and 6 working fireplace chimneys ... my consumption is not far off at 8 - 11 gallons per day.

I, too, am in the line to pay up I guess ...

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Kubota King said:
that would be to far for him to install but he could sell it to you, probably for a fraction of the dealers in your area. He sell's Thermo flow / Williamson. I could deliver it to you myself, I go to Maine every other weekend. $2100.00 will get a brand new furnace to your door step depending on how far north up the coast you live. Let me know. This coming weekend I will be heading to Maine, then after that I will be back up there the 15th.

Now why are you going to Maine this weekend if I'm coming to see you?
:pat:
That must be WHY you are going to Maine...