• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford expedition?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone have one? Good or bad experiences? We're seriously looking at a 2018 model to replace the Yukon. We need something that can hold 6 kids 2 adults and be able to pull the camper. We did consider the gmc Yukon xl / Tahoe xl as an option but the comparable model to the expedition is 15 inches longer making it less maneuverable in the city for every day driving. It'll be for my wife. She has to park in a tight parkade parking garage at work where every inch counts.

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Son in law had one and the only bad experience he had with it was what you already mentioned. They are so big they fill the parking spaces to the max so you get a lot of dings from other cars that do not have enough room to open their door to get in or out. So dings happen even if they are unintentional. Your wife will hate it in a tight garage. You might need a little beater for her to drive to save the expedition. Son in law now has a Toyota Sequoia and tows his 20 ft ski boat and trailers with it with no problem. It is a little smaller than the expedition but still has the 3 seats and carrys the same amount of passengers. Any of those large size SUV's or Trucks are tricky to handle in parking garages.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I looked at them and also the Tahoe/Yukon. I was looking at them for a vehicle for the lovely Mrs_Bob, it was right when the Expedition went through the total redesign, so maybe 2015 or 2016? I liked them. I preferred the Expedition. They are not as popular as the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukons so they seem to deal more to get them off the floor. I also really liked the Mercedes GL series SUV. That was probably my favorite but the price was pretty crazy. Most practical, useful seemed to be the Expedition.

Ended up buying an Audi convertible.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
She's already used to the regular Yukon. The expedition is just a bit longer. It has the same engine and tranny as my f150 so I know the engine is capable. The biggest complaint we had with the regular Yukon was the third row seating had limited leg room because of the hump on the floor. The expedition and the Yukon xl both had way more leg room than the regular version. The Yukon xl is 15 inches longer than the expedition. We don't need the extra cargo space in the back so the logical choice is the expedition.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what we're looking at.
bdd4e6099b0deeeef1dcb73a8e34c8ef.jpg
daaafa00501e1f2c8fcab4f837ba0e23.jpg
c92838b6bff23b951dd4873ffda23d37.jpg
288888ac07874b39bd9f58209889d0a4.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No experience with the Expedition. No need for one, but if I needed a big rig I would pick the Expedition over anything Government Motors makes. BTW, that Exped looks awesome inside and out. I'm a Ford truck guy, can you tell? :yum:

Just my $.02.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
It's funny. I always considered myself a Chevy guy. Even though I've had dodge and now ford. I do believe I have switched teams. Lol.

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sold on Dodge trucks. But their big Dakota SUV is a joke.
So is the Endeavor. both seem to be more about bling than bang for your buck.
I would go Ford Expedition over comparable GM or Dodge. It's a well proven design.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've already been in contact with the dealership that has it. Used expeditions only a couple years old are hard to come by where I live so I hit the net and found one in southern Ontario. Most dealers ship anywhere in Canada so that's not a concern. We are fortunate that our local ford dealership has a 2019 sitting on the lot we were able to test. It had a sticker price of 75k plus tax. The 2018 model we are looking at is 55k and has 18k on it for mileage. Barely broken in and 20k less than brand new.

There are quite a few more expedition "max" models out there. The regular version seems to be more rare. I assume that it's because if you're spending that much money on a vehicle you get the longer version.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I put a deposit on the 2018 excursion today to hold it while the insurance decides what they are doing with the Yukon. Hopefully they scrap it. As it was almost due for a round of maintenance (shocks ball joints tie rod ends wheel bearings) Those all ad up.

Canadian eh!!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I had an 8 seater 2003 Durango with the Hemi that was pretty nice. It had the highest towing capacity at the time. Of course once you got 8 people in it - there was no room for anything else. Gas mileage was not good but it was small enough to be ok to drive in the city.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I had a Durango for a while. It pulled the old jayco. It was scary but it did it. I know the excursion will pull. Same 3.5l engine and 10 speed transmission as my truck. It has the 3.73 gears and built in trailer brakes. My truck is rated for 10500 lbs towing. The expedition is 9300lbs capacity. I could tow the camper with the Yukon and its rated for 8300. The camper is 6600 lbs dry and add maybe 1000 lbs food and water and whatever else vou need.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with you about the gas mileage on the Durango. Mine was the older 5.9l. I could barely squeeze 400 km out of a tank. My f150 will go 750 km on the same amount of gas. Engine technology has come a long way in the past 20 years.

Canadian eh!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I put a deposit on the 2018 excursion today to hold it while the insurance decides what they are doing with the Yukon. Hopefully they scrap it. As it was almost due for a round of maintenance (shocks ball joints tie rod ends wheel bearings) Those all ad up.

Canadian eh!!!

Labor and parts markup is a killer. Two years ago the ABS light comes on my truck. Scanner says LF sensor not putting out proper voltage. Jacked up the front end and sure enough, there is play in the left front wheel. Ford Dealer wants $750.00. Local Mechanic wants $450.00. I changed out the bearing hub with sensor for $175 out the door and that included the big ass Torque wrench that goes up to 200ft./lbs. and the 32mm socket free rental.

It used to be mechanics would buy the part wholesale and then charged you the over the counter retail price. Now, maybe they still get that discount, but now they mark up the retail price 20% or more so that bearing hub costs $210.00. I can't afford them. :yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I hear you. Last hub bearing I blew cost me 700 at the garage to change. I ordered one for the other side and changed it myself for 65.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We finalized the deal to get the expedition today. It'll be delivered on the 29th apparently.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
As promised, they delivered this morning. She's a beauty. Fully loaded including the sunroof front to back. Power lift gate. Full leather with power folding 2nd and 3rd row seating. 9400lb towing capacity. 3.5l twin turbo with a 10 speed transmission. Same as my f150 and it hauls ass.
89643ebdf359f40f9fa8871907a1a2c6.jpg
f37fe1f91d4ddf42a56544681f71afd1.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. We didn't need all the bells and whistles. Our biggest complaint with the Yukon was the lack of leg room in the 3rd row. This one has plenty of room.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I am officially impressed. The boat is quite heavy to haul but the expedition did it without any problems. I barely felt it behind. The rear suspension barely sagged. The anti sway feature on the newer fords really impressed and made it very stable on the highway. I know that with the Yukon or even my old f150, I was white knuckling it fighting trailer sway the whole time. I'm looking forward to hauling the camper to see what it'll actually do. The Yukon could tow it but I was steady fighting the trailer sway.
3577b0a313f803b8c2b96a14ea34cb18.jpg

The back end actually sits at the same height as my f150. I thought it might be lower so I took a hitch adapter I had with a 2 inch drop and reversed it thinking I would need a 2 inch rise for where the trailer sits on the ball. I ended up going back to a 2 inch dropped receiver to connect.

Canadian eh!!!